Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
April 18, 2019, 11:41:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winky The Bichon Frise Loses At Westminster Agility But Wins The Internet  (Read 237 times)
Admin_Keith
Keith - Calgary, Alberta
Bichon Administrator
ENTHUSIAST

Keith Calgary, Alberta

« on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »

February 2019

A fluffy white dog felt no urgency about completing the agility course but won over the crowd anyway.

By Carla Baranauckas, HuffPost US

One of our favorite moments from yesterday's Masters Agility Championship Preliminaries, Winky the Bichon Frise! #WKCDogShow pic.twitter.com/p55IxGC5iH
    — Westminster Dog Show (@WKCDOGS) February 10, 2019

Rudy, the little bulldog that could, gained a legion of fans at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show as he attacked the course in the agility competition on Sunday.

But a fluffier, less determined dog named Winky also grabbed the spotlight with a decidedly different approach to the apparatus. The bichon frise’s complete lack of urgency may have lost the competition, but it won the hearts of the crowd and people who viewed the run ? er, stroll ? through the tunnels and over the obstacles.

When Winky reached the top of the A-frame, it seemed like the perfect time to stop and take a look around. And when crossing the dog walk, the bichon stopped again to acknowledge the cheers of the crowd.

Winky’s final time of 192 seconds, which included 92 faults, was nowhere near Rudy’s time of 51.63 or winner Verb’s time of 32.05.

But Winky’s fan club may rival Rudy’s.

Winky is my spirit animal...she completed the course, posed for her fans all while enjoying it...she’s won my heart my heart for sure!!!
    — jayasree kovelamudi (@curlykovelamudi) February 13, 2019

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/winky-loses-westminster-agility_us_5c639da1e4b03de94296c831
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »

Winky is having her "15 minutes of fame," which is astounding her owner, Joanne Ouchterlony; I am friends with her on FB.

Joanne says that of all her dogs, Winky (full call name Periwinkle) is the one who has no interest in humans. 

Inside Edition came to their home for an interview.  Winky was mentioned on The Tonight Show withe Jimmy Fallon, on Good Morning America, Huffington Post.com, Elle.com, FTW.USAToday.com, lohud.com, deadspin.com.

lohud is their local newspaper, and they called the story:  Winky - Chill Dog - Show Phenomenon   I love that!

Karen Berkes Graeber is her breeder, equally proud.

Joanne felt it necessary to pull up of photo of Winky actually RUNNING at Westminster last year, lol.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »

Oh I have seen this already. Wonderful! I did a little bit of agility with Pepe who disgraced himself one session by weeing in the tunnel. I had to disinfect!
Pam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: