Author Topic: Teaching sit???  (Read 1908 times)

Offline elvenprincess

Teaching sit???
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
I'm trying to teach my puppy to 'sit'; she originally would do it, and now she lays down instead and seems to think that is sitting. How do I break her out of this habit? I have been trying to teach her what sitting is by moving her in a sitting position and keep saying 'sit' to her, though when I command her to do it it doesn't seem to sink in.  :help2:

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
Re: Teaching sit???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »
Be sure to use hand signals as well as voice commands when training.  In Dogdom, body language is the primary language, vocalizing is rare.  So dogs naturally learn the hand signals more quickly.

Do you ever see her sit, while she is waiting for the water bowl to be filled, or outside?  If you can capture the position while she is in it that always helps.  Of course this requires you have a baggie of high value treats with you to reinforce the praise.  

Remember, the command is "sit" --  not " sit sit!  SIT!!!"  Don't keep repeating it as that will confuse a dog.

Are you clicker training?  This is a great way to train, as the clicker can capture positions more quickly.  

Have you consider attending group classes?  I've signed up Frankie to start classes on Sept 9th.  Group classes are a great way to learn.  Remember, the dog learns almost nothing in an hour.  YOU, the owner / handler learn how to teach, how to read YOUR dog's body language.  Then you go home and the week's practice is key to the dog learning.  Family members are encouraged to attend all classes (no extra fee), and do each do all the homework during the week.  This ensures everyone is using the same verbal and visual cues.  Here is a link to find a place near you . . . just scroll down and put in your zip code:  https://apdt.com/trainer-search/

"Sit" requires you to be down low at the dog's level.  You move the treat toward the dog's nose and slightly above and back.  This forces the dog into the sit position.  If you move too fast the dog will back up.  That is just one way to teach this command.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:03:40 PM by Freedom (Sandie) »
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline pam

• ENTHUSIAST
  • bichons rule
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
I would support the idea of training classes. Bengy came to us at 7 months old and fitted right in to the basic class in our local community centre.  Mind there are different styles of trainers and not all are good so it is important to do your research first.  Bengy bless him is very food orientated so some training was really easy.
Pam

Offline Terri

• Fake Pretend Sea Captain
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
Ya know, If I had it to do all over again, I'd have done nearly everything different with Belle. :nodding:

She sits if and when she feels like it, and when I say "Come here Belle" she literally gets up and goes the other direction.  :neener: :laughing:

ah, whaddyagonna do? :shrug: I'm in :loveword2: and she's gonna be 11 tomorrow. :heart:

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Abby does look and think is it worth it? She knows what I want,she is 10 and knows the score.We live alongside each other and for mutual benefit.If I want her to do something usually does to make me happy as do I when she wishes.Sometimes I have to make it worth her while.

I wouldn't change a thing