Author Topic: Biting?!  (Read 10049 times)

Offline elvenprincess

Biting?!
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
I am having issues with my puppy biting; I've been dealing with it since the day after I got her...even when writing this post she was biting.

It seems to be more than just teething; she gets aggressive and "attacks" me. How do I get her to stop? I keep telling her "No bite!" and I think she understands but doesn't want to listen.

Is this something she will grow out of, or will she always want to act mean?  :help2:

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
Re: Biting?!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
Puppies removed from mom and litter mates prior to age 12 weeks miss out on training.  Biting is one of the things typically taught at ages 9 to 12 weeks.

So you need to act and react the way mom and the litter mates would.  When she bites, all play STOPS.  You immediately turn away from her, no eye contact, and you make sounds like cries and whimpers from pups.  She will likely walk around to face you and see what is happening.  Be shy with her.  All this lets her know she bit too hard and hurt you.  Obviously it helps if you are down on the floor with her.  After a bit, return to playing WITH THE TOYS.  The instant she again bites you, repeat above.  All play STOPS.

When she is doing this as you are typing, she is being a typical baby, seeking attention.  The only way she knows is to get in your way - paws and biting.  For setting up time for you to do stuff, routine is needed.  Play time, followed by time in the play pen / x pen, corralled with baby gates, whatever it is you use.  OK to have her toys, but no access to you.  Remember this is a baby, do not leave her on her own for long.  5 minutes at the start!  If that is too long, back it up to 3 minutes.  You want to be able to go back to her and release her to have access to you BEFORE she starts barking, jumping, whatever she does.  Praise her, even give a treat from the high value baggies. 

Hope this helps.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline elvenprincess

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
Hey! Thanks for all the advice. I definitely need to start regulating her more. She actually was past 12 weeks when we got her; she was about 14 weeks when we got her and was around her mom a lot I think. I pretend to cry, trying to sound like her, but it hardly seems to phase her, which makes me think she doesn't care about how I feel!

But yeah, she's an attention seeker! If I'm on my computer, she starts demanding attention or if I show my husband attention, she'll get jealous and demand she's noticed!

So I think I'll try some of your tips.

Cara

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
Hi, what Sandy has said is spot on. My puppy is only 9 weeks so I don't remove me or her from the situation as she is still too young, but an immediate high pitched "ouch" every time she bites has worked for us, and then to stop play and turn our backs on her for 2 minutes (A minute for each month of the puppy's age). Also we really praise her when she starts to lick us. She has learned very quickly not to bite but to lick for attention.   

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
Thanks for saying she was with her mom that long, that helps.  And, Cara's advice is spot on!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
Great advice. Abby was such a nippy baby and now is the least aggressive dog on earth.She is 10 and I can do anything with her.