Author Topic: Potty training help???  (Read 2019 times)

Offline elvenprincess

Potty training help???
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »

:fluffnewhere:

Hi everyone! I just joined today! My first question is:

I got a Bichon mix at the end of March. Ellie is 2/3 Bichon and 1/3 Shih Tzu. My most difficult problem I have with her is potty training. Are Bichons generally resistant and difficult to train in this area? She already turned 7 months old on the 19th of this month and she is still not potty trained. I have tried the crate training thing, and that didn't seem to work so well; she would often just hold it in for hours and refuse to go outside, and end up going on the carpet because I didn't feel like I could leave her in her kennel all the time. She thinks she can keep going on the carpet even when I show my displeasure and put her in the kennel afterwards as punishment. I even would reward her when she did go outside, but that didn't seem to register with her either. This can't keep going on, how should I go about this? Also, even if I do get her to the point of not thinking she can use wherever she wants as a potty, I don't know how I can get her to tell me she needs to go out...she can be pretty quiet about what she wants.  :help2:

Offline Terri

• Fake Pretend Sea Captain
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
Re: Potty training help???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
I heard that they are more difficult, but seeing how I only have one and she came all paper trained, my job was done for me.

She has started going outside since we moved, and I can't get her to go in the house anymore. :shrug:

I know there's loads of others that can help you with great advice, they should be along soon. But in the meantime,

there are some other posts about the same topic in this message board.

I'll try to find you some links, (if I can remember how to do it) I have cobwebs in my memory lately. :laughing:

Offline elvenprincess

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »
I actually want to train her to go outside and go inside in a designated spot, because if I'm working long hours and can't be home to let her out, it would be good if she could go in a dog litterbox-type thing.

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Bichons are known to be slow to learn house training.  They are very busy little dogs, and potty training rarely makes their TO DO list.  Many of them take 12 to 18 months of age to catch on.

My Tasha is a puppy mill rescue - they can be tough to train as they are used to sitting in their own waste.  That is the big thing which helps in training dogs, normally, is that they do not want to be near their waste.  Tasha was almost 5 years old when she was rescued, it took me 16 months but we got there.  So you can do this!

Here is a link to one method:  http://bichonfriseusa.com/ref/umbiltrng.htm

A few things to keep in mind:
- pee on a carpet - dogs return to the scent of the ammonia to pee again, so you really need to clean that carpet thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner made specifically for dog urine.
- keep pup on a schedule.  Take her out every 2 hours at this young age, on leash, and walk her till she pees.  Don't just stand around in the back yard, they need movement to 'go.' 
- keep several baggies of high value treats in the fridge ready to take with you.  Hot dogs, cheese, and boiled boneless skinless chicken breast are good for training purposed.  All should be cut into small bits, about the size of the tip of your pinky finger.  Outside, when she pees, wait until she is done and then praise and TREATS!  Jack pot, lots of them!  Jump up and down, clap, dance, have a pawty!  Let her know this is a GOOD THING!  If your dog and your neighbors are looking at you like you are crazy, you are doing it right.  Anything less is not going to make an impact on a puppy.
- after a few times, start using a command.  I say "do your busies."  Can be anything you like.  You want her to learn to pee on command.  So maybe after 5 or 6 times, when she finishes you are clapping and praising, getting those treats and you say the command a few times.  After 5 or 6 more times, you say the command ONCE as she squats.  That is, as she starts to pee.  This is very helpful when you have to go out for an appointment, and last thing at night, to have the dog trained to go on command.  At night I use a different command: LAST CALL.  All my dogs know they MUST go out and pee at that command.  During the day, 3 will go out 2 stay in, that's fine with me. 
- when she goes in the house, do NOT look at her, do NOT make eye contact.  While you clean up, you can make noises of disgust :  ugh!  yucky!  Do NOT direct any of this at the dog. 

Patience, consistency, praise and treats!
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
Stopped by to add a few things.  You mentioned you are using a crate.  Be sure that is never used as punishment.  It must be a fun, safe place for the dog to go.  The dog should willingly go in, and sometimes just sit in there with the door open (well, perhaps not just now if you are having the heat wave we are having here!)

I wonder WHY she does not like going outdoors?  Do you have to coax her, or carry her out, is she that afraid of it?  Use some high value treats to make that a fun time as well.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma