Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
April 18, 2019, 10:15:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you and your bichons been up to?  (Read 2476 times)
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« on: July 11, 2016, 05:33:46 PM »

Just wondered what everyone had been up to recently?
Pepe, Poppy and Bengy have just had 10 days in Northumberland in their motorhome with us on holiday.  We all had a super time.  For those of you who know the UK we live in the north anyway so didn't travel far.  We went to Wooler for 4 days - right in the Northumberland Park, and then on to Berwick on the coast for a week.  Because the little ones don't walk as far these days we took the (for us) huge step of taking the car as well.  Worked brilliantly - we were able to visit some of the small fishing villages on the coast that are not accessible with our van.  Took the buggy for Poppy who didn't use it at all.  Pepe deigned to sit in it for 10 minutes but it is not his favourite thing.
A good time was had by all
Pam

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »

Sounds awesome! I hope you took some pictures. I loveword2: pictures!!!

Well, Belle has been up to growing old, not so gracefully. Laughing

She's had nearly all of her teeth removed, her canines are still there, so her tongue doesn't stick out the side. thumbup

Her cataracts are getting worse, she can't see very well.

Her bladder stones were removed, so now she's on a special diet. (Royal Canine SO) She Loves it!!!  Kicking

Her luxating patella has been giving her trouble, She was running through the kitchen and I heard a loud yell, she obviously slipped and injured herself.

The vet said she's going to be on Rimidel for the rest of her life, she's stage 3 so I need to get that vet credit card paid off in preparation of her next surgery. YIKES!

All of this was literally within a 3 month period... Kids...amiright? Laughing

Fortunately I have a job. I'm a cook for a local event location (Grand Volute Ballrooms) Here in Lowell, MI. I love it.

I work nearly every weekend in the summer, so that's no fun, but the job itself is a blast. I work with my sister and have learned so much from a great Chef.

My family also moved to a new home, Belle has loads of more room to play, and she no longer uses her pee pad. She only goes outside.
(No fun in the winter or when I'm comfy in bed) Laughing

So that's what's been going on here in the Puppa's house.  captain

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »

Ooooh Terri, it sounds like you have been very busy.  Lovely that you have a new job which you are liking despite lack of free weekends. And a new home.  All very exciting.  Not so good that you are spending all your hard earned cash on Belle.  I wonder if cataracts are more prolific in bichons than some other breeds?  Pepe has them as well  sad  And Poppy has also had most of her teeth out but they manage don't they!
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »

The Bichon Frise Club of America says that about 11% of fluffs have cataracts, and that it is the leading eye condition in the breed.  It is an inherited condition, and the Club warns that breeders should be careful to avoid breeding dogs with a family history.  Another source says that when cataracts occur in bichon frises, they develop rapidly in early adulthood and usually involve both eyes.
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

Thank you Craig - is that worse than other breeds do you know? I only know of 1 breeder in the UK who was testing for eye problems routinely and she is no longer breeding frises. The others ignore it - a bit like the labs dysplasia.  It is a nightmare isn't it.
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »

Pam, the sense that the site gave me is that bichons are especially at risk for cataracts. But I don't know how consistent even the best breeders are about screening for cataracts.
susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »

Would make sense since the breed is descended from the Poodle and Barbet .  Poodles have a greater frequency of cataracts than other breeds, and female toy/mini may be even higher.  The Bichon's cousin the Havanese have an even higher rate.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15762923
http://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/poodle---hereditary-cataract

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »

Thank you both for that - it was idle musing really.  Fortunately only Pepe seems to be troubled but that is 25% in my case.  Ah me.
Anyway anyone else been doing anything interesting?
Pam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: