Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
April 18, 2019, 09:48:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing our behaviours to help our bichons?  (Read 6033 times)
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« on: January 19, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »

Wasn't sure where to put this?  Please move if incorrect.
A rambling thought really, and probably not well expressed.  Just wondered how much modification of your own behaviour has gone on due to the presence of  fluff in your life.
We have undoubtedly adapted our lives over the years.  The dogs were never left for any length of time.  They came with us on holidays etc.  Now bless them we are cutting our walks short and simply not getting the exercise that we need.  The only way round this is to walk with a dog buggy for Poppy if we are going for a decent walk - which we do.  The trouble is this has just crept up on us - didn't realise we were slowing down.
Also now finding Pepe's coat is thinning - so he now walks with a coat to keep him warm (looks spiffing - deep maroon  Wub).  Not something we have ever really done before.
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »

Its hard to remember what life  before Abby was like to be honest.Certainly planning not to leave her too long.Because I work I have to compromise elsewhere.I don't mind at all though as I hate being away from her as much as she does.

Where we holiday and eat and places we go as I don't like  to leave her much on my days off.

The change I like most is looking forward to seeing Abby in the window every time I come home.Seeing that driving up my street is always the best part of my day

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »

My biggest 'change' with Darwin is that I dread inviting people, especially kids, over because I don't always feel like dealing with him. I used to never hesitate, but now I mentally recall how Darwin responded to the person/ child last time, what I'll have to do with him (extra med, leash him to myself, another room, doggy daycare??) before I decide to invite them. It's sad, but true.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »

Many changes over the 7 years to adapt to each of the 10 who have been through here. 

Toilet paper is not in the holder - thank you Willy.  Kitchen trash bin is not the same one we had and no longer out, it is behind a cupboard, again thank you Willy.  Baby gates are up all over the place, cats live mostly in the cellar, thanks to Willy. 

Trips to Y, doctors, shopping, always watching the time as the pups need to go out.

Have the stroller I needed for Ozzy, along with the carry pack which he used.

Cat covers on the car, never used those pre these fluffs.  Sofa throw, but that is also partly due to the cats, not entirely the dogs.

Learned to always sit in the recliner with feet up so pups could fit with me on there.

The list is endless!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:36 PM »

I think Missy gave me another excuse to justify my preferred reclusive lifestyle.  I hate to travel !  I have never liked eating out.   noway  Almost any other event has a "been there, done that" feel to it.  Refusing to go places where Missy is not welcome, therefore, was an easy and justifiable change of lifestyle for this retiree.   thumbsup

Missy has always gone on frequent walks with her daddy and I think this has helped him get needed routine exercise and I have always been devoted to my indoor treadmill.  Now with Sookie, it seems I am outside walking more.  It is not something that I enjoy so it is done just because it is easier for both of us to walk them right now.

Our lives do revolve around the fluffs, much as they did around our boys when they were young.  I think part of the pleasure of having the fluffs is seeing the world again through their eyes. 

Thanks Del
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

I agree Susan its certainly a symbiotic relationship.

I'm so pleased to hear Sookie is taking you for walks.Alison

bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »

I work from home, so tending Milo has been routine for the past 1.5 years, although I think I have gotten lax with his (and my) exercise (as other note).  I have recommitted to walking him daily and seeing that he does his business outside instead of inside -- as trained. Sure, keeping him clean and his coat pristine was easy while he was an indoor dog, but I get the sense that is not what is best for him.  Took Milo out on play date with a neighboring mini poodle the other day -- and they both had a blast.  I have to remember that my convenience is not always in Milo's best interests.

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »

I find standing Abby in the shower and just washing her feet after walks saves  lot on baths and keeps her as clean as I'd like

bichondad
Ridgewood, NJ

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »

Good tip Alison -- thanks

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »

Abby likes to get dirty.I like my house clean,we compromise,lol

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »

Planning out next trip away and this thread came to mind.  No more long walks on the moors or indeed long walks.  When they were young 5 miles was a decent walk and 8 miles covered by accident.  Now we plan that it has got to be flat to accommodate Poppy's stroller  original.  So nice route planned on the east coast of Scotland which is elderly dog friendly and suitable for us to sit and enjoy.  Lets hope we have many more such breaks
Pam

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »

.  So nice route planned on the east coast of Scotland which is elderly dog friendly and suitable for us to sit and enjoy.  Lets hope we have many more such breaks
Pam

Have a lovely time Smiley

Thanks Del
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:32 AM »

Thank You Susan. I am sure it will be lovely
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »

Have a wonderful time.

Its my husbands 50th birthday in a couple of weeks and I've found  a very lovely dog friendly hotel in Brecon we are trying.They are even welcome in the dining room and excellent reviews and great dining apparently

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »

That sounds really super Alison. I think there are some very dog friendly places. It's just finding them that is the problem. Hope you all have a lovely time
Pam

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »

I'll post details if its as lovely as we are told it is

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: