Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
November 11, 2019, 07:41:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heartbroken  (Read 4753 times)
Leigh

« on: October 13, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

Hello,

I read on here a lot, but rarely post.  I am posting now because I am just so heartbroken.  I had to put my sweet Bichon, O'Malley to sleep a couple days ago.  He had IVDD (intervertebral disc disease).  He was literally fine one day, then all of a sudden acted like he was in pain.  On the second day of this I took him to the vet where they did x-rays and found nothing wrong.  The next morning his back legs were completely paralyzed.  I took him back to the vet where they let me know that they had gotten the report back from the radiologist saying he had IVDD.  By the time I got him to a neurologist (that same day) the damage to his spinal cord was severe.  His chance of recovering without surgery was only 10%.  His chance of recovering with surgery was only 50/50.  It would be weeks or months before we would even know if the surgery was successful.  Until then he would need to be on 100% crate restriction and have a catheter.  The doctor also said that after the surgery his chances of getting kidney infections was very high from the catheter.  Not wanting him to have to live that way we decided to put him down.  He was only 3 1/2.  He didn't deserve that.  After reading about IVDD online I found out that had we known he had it before he became paralyzed it might have been prevented and his life could have been saved.  Knowing this makes the guilt I already feel so much greater.  I can't help but feel like first I failed him and then I gave up on him.  This is the first pet I have ever had to put down and never could have imagined the pain.  I have two other bichons who are his brother and sister.  I am going to see if there are any preventative measures I can take to make sure this doesn't happen to them.  Thanks for listening.

Leigh

Mom to Jackson and Josie (Bichons), O'Malley (our furry angel) and Buddy (chihuahua)
lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:27:19 AM »

This is so sad, he was so young. Its scary how things can go wrong so quickly and I am sure most of us here would have been the same as you and have no knowledge of IVDD. I think you did all you could and didn't waste time getting help for him.
I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you!  Hug

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:03 AM »

Leigh, I'm so sorry for your loss. Crying  I remember when you first joined & posted about O'Mally, Jackson, and Josie.  Please don't beat yourself up over O'Malley's passing.  You did what you felt was best for him, and that's all that matters.  I've never heard of IVDD (and I'm sure many others haven't either); so how could you prevent something that you didn't know. And now that you do, you're already doing what's best for Jackson & Josie, and that is researching about preventative measures.  O'Mally is now pain-free and playing at Rainbow Bridge.  With your permission, I'll add him to our Rainbow Bridge playground, where he'll romp with bichon.ca's beloved Bichons, and await reunion with you.  My condolences to you.  (((((hugs))))

bokie
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:06:27 AM »

Sorry about the passing of O'Malley. He had a joyful and wonderful 3.5 years with you and his siblings, and I'm sure little O'Malley understands that you did the best possible thing for him.

You didn't give up on him, you did what is best for him.

liz
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »

I am so sorry to hear this sad news.  Please don't beat yourself up you did everything possible for him.  Dwell on the happy times.   O'Malloy will be looking down from Rainbow Bridge and smiling a big Thank you mum.

bKay, Bullett & Coco
NOVICE

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:46:59 AM »

Leigh,  I'm so sorry for your loss.  O'Malley's condition sounded painful and the life he would have had was not acceptable.  These decisions are never easy whether we have time to prepare ourselves or need to make an immediate decision to PTS.  My heart goes out to you and your other pups as they are feeling the loss as well.    comfort
Kay

Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »

Leigh, I am so sorry about your sweet little O'Malley.  The decision is never easy when it comes to our furbabies, but it sounds like you did the best for him.  He is running painfree at Rainbow Bridge.  Thank you for sharing as this is a condition that I was not familiar with.  Will certainly read more about it .  RIP sweet little O'Malley.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »

This is so sad, it was all so sudden.  No time for you to prepare; who thinks a 3.5 year old may be in such a situation - none of us.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes, it is very hard to make this decision, but you had all the information and made an informed decision, based on what was best for him.  Sending you cyber hugs.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

I'm so sorry for you loss.  I can't even imagine the pain you're dealing with.  But know that you made a caring choice to keep O'Malley free.  It was the kindest thing you could do.  About not knowing and regretting that:  Simple...you did not know so of course you couldn't help it.  Regrets are a part of grieving.  But you could not have prevented this.  I know you would have if you could.  Please accept my heartfelt condolences.  And please come back and share the information that you find out about this condition.  It could help someone else in the future!

jmeechin
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

Very sorry for your loss.  It is so hard to lose a loved one. I am sure he is at Rainbow Bridge. 

Leigh

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

Thank you all so much for your kind words.  The whole experience of having to put a dog to sleep who was perfectly healthy just a few days prior was very traumatic for me.  IVDD is very common in small dogs, especially dachshunds but since this has happened, I have heard from several people about their dogs (all different breeds) going through the same thing.  After this experience I have purchased pet insurance for my other three dogs and am taking my two bichons to the vet this weekend for orthopedic exams.  Being that they were all siblings I want to be proactive and find out if there is anyway that I can have them x-rayed to see if they have the calcification on their spine that predisposes them to IVDD.  Feel free to add my boy to the Rainbow Bridge Playground and I will keep you all posted on what I find out with my other two.
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »

I'm Sorry! for your loss, the sudden turn of events must have been devastating. I am hoping that your other pups remain happy and healthy for many years to come and never suffer from this disease.  comfort

Thank you Alison!
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.You must be heart broken.

I hope the vets visit brings good news for your other 2.Alison

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  So tragic...... There is no possible way you could have known and you did what was best for O'Malley.

I'd never heard of IVDD either and when I googled I thought it it seemed more prevalent in long torsoed breeds like the dachshund but, then other articles said it was also prevalent in short legged and small breeds and the signs don't even manifest till between 3 and 6 years of age.

Also, I thought the risk of a collapsed trachea was the reason to use a harness on a bichon but apparently, if there is a risk of a neck disc problem, a harness should be used as well.......eighty per cent of these disc problems occur in the lower back bit twenty per cent occur in the neck.

I do so hope that you get good news about Jackson and Josie........ 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: