Author Topic: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder  (Read 16589 times)

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
Re: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
You have plenty of time for puppy shopping now.Thats so much fun.

We all understand just how you feel,we've all been there.I was so lucky I only had to wait a week for Abby,even that took forever.Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
here's a picture of the one i was holding and the one i couldn't put down.  he was so cute and well behaved.  i loved him!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:08:48 AM by EDDEL »

ILuvBichons

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:44 AM »
sorry the pic uploaded so large.  is there anyway i could edit it to reduce the size?  thanks.

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • living in sunny SINGAPORE!
    • CASA BIANCA!
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
:hello: Lily, :welcomebichon:  I've resized :sorcerer: the photo for you.
Louie :fluffbaby: is so cute! :wub:  Bet you're counting down the days!
When you bring Louie :fluff: home in May,
be sure to formally introduce him in our [Meet & Greet] board. :original:

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
He is so cute.No wonder you couldn't put him down.Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
:hello: Lily, :welcomebichon:  I've resized :sorcerer: the photo for you.
Louie :fluffbaby: is so cute! :wub:  Bet you're counting down the days!
When you bring Louie :fluff: home in May,
be sure to formally introduce him in our [Meet & Greet] board. :original:

thank you eddel!  i will definitely introduce my new fluff in the meet and greet as soon as he comes home. 

ILuvBichons

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
He is so cute.No wonder you couldn't put him down.Alison

i know!  isn't he?  i wanted to bring him home that day, but i wasn't allowed....lol!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi All,

The pup should be ready to go home in a couple weeks.  I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on something.  I just found out last week that my Mom was diagnosed with early onset dementia.  My first concern was if this would consume me and was wondering if getting a pup is still a good idea.  And then I was thinking that I do want my pup to be a certified therapy dog and that this would be great for my Mom.  I still want the pup, but wanted to see what you guys thought b/c I have never had experienced someone with dementia before.  Do you think this is still a good idea?

Thanks!

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
First, I'm so sorry that you have to face this with your mom.  It seems so unfair that after a long life some have to face this kind of burden.  Now, a puppy is a huge time investment for the first year and often two years.  If your mom is not too far advanced and her prognosis is for a slower advancement, then you might have time to do the necessary training and the time for the pup to mature before your mom requires more of your time.  My mom has physical disabilities and they have become more time consuming over the last year.  I would not bring a puppy into my family at this time due to that.  You have to take a look at just how much time you have.  I remember that in my puppies' first few months it was like having a human infant/toddler.  My time was just sucked away and it was tiring.  So, I would certainly encourage you to give it a lot of thought.  Maybe you could consider adopting an adult bichon and skip the puppy stages.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum.I think it depends on how much time you have and how ill she is.

As you say having a pup around may be good for her and a brilliant way to cheer everyone up.Do you work? Will you be your Mum's carer,or are there other family members too?

Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »
thanks maryellen and alison.  well we just found out that she has dementia.  i spoke to the dr today and he said he thinks it shouldn't get too bad too quickly, so i'm hoping he is right.  looking back to last year, my siblings and i now feel like it started sometime last year b/c she was making up crazy stories and we thought she was just looking for attention or trying to be a trouble maker.  but, for the past two weeks, she is having a hard time remembering things we talked about after a few minutes and she asks the same question over and over.  right now she is taking care of herself still.  most recent issues is the concern for her eating properly and eating enough and also hoping she is taking her medications correctly.  we have set up a pill box for her and i will evaluate it to see if it looks like she is taking her meds correctly and if not, our plan is to bring in an aide to help administer her meds and make sure she is eating.  so, it's really kind of hard for me to say how bad she will get but right now it isn't too bad, knock on wood.  we are just worried about meds and that she is eating.  i'd love to have the pup so if she ever does go into a home or needs an aide and is homebound, then at least maybe the pup will make her feel better.  i will also talk to the breeder and see how she feels.  i work part time and i have no children.  i have other siblings but either we all work or do not live too close.  i think if she worsens an aide will be the next step and when that doesn't work anymore then maybe assisted living or a nursing home, which would be our last resort.

ILuvBichons

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
the other thing is that i have been talking to my mom about the puppy before I found out she had dementia and now she says "oh i thought you were coming over today and you were going to bring the puppy" and then I say "oh not yet mom, but soon".

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
You can't put your life on hold.Your Mum wouldn't want that either.You just have to take it as it comes,easier said than done.

My Dad has physical health problems.He has periods when he's well and some when he's very ill.Its hard,but we just do the best we can.

I'm sure you can work things out between you and a pup will bring a lot of joy to you all.Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
You can't put your life on hold.Your Mum wouldn't want that either.You just have to take it as it comes,easier said than done.

My Dad has physical health problems.He has periods when he's well and some when he's very ill.Its hard,but we just do the best we can.

I'm sure you can work things out between you and a pup will bring a lot of joy to you all.Alison

thanks alison!  i agree, but it is good to hear that from you as an outside person.  makes me feel like getting my pup is the right choice and can bring happiness during a difficult time.  thank you!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
ok so i talked to the breeder yesterday and the pups are ready to go home this weekend!  i'm nervous but excited and now i am thinking about all the things i need for him.  just hope i have enough time before saturday to get everything i need.