Author Topic: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder  (Read 16591 times)

ILuvBichons

Re: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
I am happy to read that the breeder will be keeping the pup until he is 12 weeks old!  :thumbsup: This will give him time to mature and he won't be as scared coming to his new home as hopefully the breeder will have socialized him a bit in her environment and leaving the pack will not be as stressful for him. Also I would hope that the breeder would start to introduce toilet training by that time which will make it easier on you.
The only other thing I can think of is by 12 weeks of age puppies are full of energy!  :yahoo: They are still on a 3x per day feeding schedule, which means they need to exercise and walk at least 3x per day to move their bowels. Granted they also sleep/nap for long periods too, but it will be up to you to get the pup on a schedule that works with your lifestyle. I have always found that the more time consistency and patients you put into your pup in the early months, although it is hard and sometime exhausting work, it pays off in the end.
My Lia will be 3 at the end of May, Luigi will be 4 years old in November and they are both reliable to be left home alone for up to 6 hours if needed.
I can't wait to see pictures of your pup!

Hi Lin!  thanks so much for that info.  that was very helpful.  i've been speaking to the breeder frequently and i will inquire about the potty training on her part and if she is working with the pups.  i will also follow your advice.  i will definitely work hard while he is a pup b/c i would like to be able to leave him home a couple days out of the week when he gets older and can hold his bladder longer.  i am gone at most 6 hours, so that sounds perfect knowing that is what works for you.  and i love the names of your bichons!  actually i was thinking of a name and i like Luigi or Louie!  I think I found my name....thanks!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 12:02:51 PM »
how long of a walk do you think is good for the pup while i am at work?  i can't do long walks b/c breaks are short. 

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
The walking all depends, it is a very individual thing. For me and our lifestyle I walk my fluffs for exercise and mental stimulation not for potty breaks.
Luigi was easier to train than Lia, I attribute that to the fact that his breeder put the litter outside frequently from 6 weeks of age on. Now granted they had accidents on the floor in their play room, but she put the litter to bed at night all together in a crate, and apparently they didn't mess in the crate from 12 midnight until 6:30 am from about 7 weeks of age. When Luigi came home with me he missed his little mates but he was familiar with the outdoors, grass and being a November baby it soon snowed here in southern Ontario and as he matured he was learning to hold his bladder. Also after 3 weeks of being home with us I had an accident that left me bedridden, so my husband who was working shift and my youngest son going to school were responsible for letting him out to go potty, so he basically learnt to go on command in an area that I have sectioned off for my fluffs to go potty. Luigi never got walked on a leash outside of our house/yard unless he was going to the vet, until the following spring, then Lia came along
Now Lia was a different story  :rolledeyes2: She was born in May so didn't come home with us until the middle of the summer. Her breeder allowed the litter to have free run of his living room with access in and out of house into the yard. Those pups went where ever and when ever they wanted. So when we brought Lia home she had to be watched, tethered, carried or crated when indoors as she knew no better. Being the nice weather we were outside more often too so that confused her a bit as we didn't have as strict a schedule or as clear boundaries as to where we wanted her to go potty. It took us until she was about 7 months of age until she was 98% reliable to be left unsupervised.
Still as I say they are 98% reliable because I know if they have to go they will go, even at their age, but I do my best to know that Luigi eats then goes  :poop:, he only needs to pee about 5x per day. Lia needs to pee more often, she  :poop: mid morning and mid evening if she didn't poop on our walk, so I adjust my schedule accordingly. If something urgent comes up I know I have GREAT neighbours that will come across and let them out to potty.

Thank you Alison!

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
Thats exciting,and well done for preparing beforehand.

Abby would only manage short walks when she was little and built up over time.The pup will soon let you know when enough is enough.

Alison

Offline Briana

• NOVICE
  • Fluffs: Coke & Pepsi
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
15 minutes would be way long enough for a puppy that young, maybe even 10 minutes

THANK YOU ELLA FLUFFELLA for the beautiful sig. Ella & AnnMarie you are missed! Come back!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
15 minutes would be way long enough for a puppy that young, maybe even 10 minutes

hi briana.  thanks and yes it will definitely be less than 15 minutes on my breaks.  a quick potty break with a very short walk.  i'll save the longer walks for at home when i would have more time.  i'm guessing the walks/potty breaks would only be a few minutes to start with while i am at work. 

ILuvBichons

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
so, i visited the pups yesterday and omg they were sooooo cute!  they are only 6 weeks old right now.  they are almost fully pee pad trained.  the breeder said at 10 weeks she will start taking them out for walks, so hopefully they will be somewhat leash trained by the time we get one.  she said we are more than welcome to visit again in a few weeks to see how they have grown.  and somewhere around 12 weeks is when they would be able to go to their homes.  i held this little baby boy and it was an amazing feeling.  i didn't want to put him down.  he was sooo adorable.  i never held a pup so small before.  his paws were so soft and he was so amazingly cute!

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
You must have had the best day.Thats so lovely that you can visit again.Have you chosen one,or are you waiting until they are older? Abby had a big pink spot by her tail when we'd chosen her until she came home to make sure they knew which was ours.Alison

Princess Lucy and Wee Boo

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
Nothing to add, I think everyone has covered everything. I just want to say welcome and good luck with you new baby, Iay have missed it but have you chosen a boy/girl and a name yet ?

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
Anticipation ... the count down is on!  :yahoo:

Thank you Alison!

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Well, I can tell that you are more than sold, LOL!  Good luck choosing your pup.  Does the breeder do the matching based on puppy personalities?  Or do you choose whichever pup you want?  Some excellent breeders like to match puppies with their new families.  I'm excited for you and hope to see pictures soon!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
You must have had the best day.Thats so lovely that you can visit again.Have you chosen one,or are you waiting until they are older? Abby had a big pink spot by her tail when we'd chosen her until she came home to make sure they knew which was ours.Alison

hi alison.  yes, it really was the best day ever!  i had so much fun.  i can't even explain it...lol!  but, no we weren't really able to choose one yet.  the breeder has to see which ones are show quality first and then i guess we can choose, but the breeder said they are all wonderful and they all have wonderful tempermants and would do well in any home.

ILuvBichons

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
Nothing to add, I think everyone has covered everything. I just want to say welcome and good luck with you new baby, Iay have missed it but have you chosen a boy/girl and a name yet ?

thank you so much!  yes, his name will be Louie.

ILuvBichons

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Anticipation ... the count down is on!  :yahoo:

lol!  yes, i've been counting the days since they were born.  seems like forever until i could finally meet them.  now i have to wait another 4 weeks to visit them again and hopefully they will be ready 2 weeks after that.

ILuvBichons

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
Well, I can tell that you are more than sold, LOL!  Good luck choosing your pup.  Does the breeder do the matching based on puppy personalities?  Or do you choose whichever pup you want?  Some excellent breeders like to match puppies with their new families.  I'm excited for you and hope to see pictures soon!

i am most definitely sold....lol!  i can't even explain what it felt like to hold such a cute little furbaby.  i've never experienced it before and i was loving it!  i'm not sure if she places by personality.  she just said all her bichons have wonderful tempermants and they would do well in any home.  she needs to see which ones are show quality first and then i guess we will see which ones are available at that time.  i do have a picture of the male pup i was holding.  i'll try to upload it later so you can see the one i was holding.  he was the pup she picked up and gave to me to hold and i fell in love with him right off the bat, so i trust they are all wonderful.  i'm so excited!