Author Topic: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder  (Read 16590 times)

ILuvBichons

Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »
Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder.  I work part time and if I were to get a pup, he would come with me to work.  In your opinion, do you think it would be difficult if I brought the pup to work?  I would probably get a playpen and have a crate in it, so that I could keep an eye on the pup.  I guess I would have to take the pup out every couple hours to potty.  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'll be visiting the pups the 2nd week of April and they should be ready to go to their new homes at the end of May.

Thanks!

Offline Briana

• NOVICE
  • Fluffs: Coke & Pepsi
Re: Thinking of purchasing a pup from a breeder
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »
no not difficult, if you're allowed to bring the pup to work and you have a pen then it will be great. if you're able to take the pup on walks on your breaks it will get the pup tired enough to sleep while you're busy. be sure to get one from a good breeder with healthy stock

THANK YOU ELLA FLUFFELLA for the beautiful sig. Ella & AnnMarie you are missed! Come back!

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:25 AM »
Yes, this first thing is to be certain you are permitted to take a dog to your workplace.  Many places do not permit it.  The folks around you could complain. 

You will need to have a list of things to look for in a reputable breeder.  To help you get started, you can read the essays under BREEDERS in the left column, on the Bichon Information Station, here:  http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/

I am friends on FB with several reputable breeders; you can expect to pay $1200 to $1500 depending on whether you get a male or female, and what part of the country they are in.
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

ILuvBichons

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
thanks!  and yes...i am allowed to bring a pup to work.  i work alone mainly with occassional visitors.  and the best part is i am in a pet friendly building :)

thanks for the info. 

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
Welcome to the group.I'm sure the pup would love coming to work with you.Only trouble is I know I'd never get any work done if I did that.It sounds like a great place to work.

If it doesn't wotk out I'm sure you can work up to be able to leave it home as you work part time.

Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
Welcome to the group.I'm sure the pup would love coming to work with you.Only trouble is I know I'd never get any work done if I did that.It sounds like a great place to work.

If it doesn't wotk out I'm sure you can work up to be able to leave it home as you work part time.

Alison

yes, it is.  well if i follow briana's advice, then pup might sleep a bit at work.  i work a 5 hour day.  would that be too long to leave home?  maybe i could do a couple days at work and a couple days at home.  i'm about 15 minutes from home, so total time away from home would be 5 1/2 hours.  thoughts and advice on this are also greatly appreciated.

thanks!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
no not difficult, if you're allowed to bring the pup to work and you have a pen then it will be great. if you're able to take the pup on walks on your breaks it will get the pup tired enough to sleep while you're busy. be sure to get one from a good breeder with healthy stock

hi briana.  thanks for your advice.  i work 9-2.  how often do you think i would have to walk in this time at work?  i would walk him before work for sure.  then maybe at 11, then again at 1?  any suggestions or advice?

thanks!

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »

Alison

yes, it is.  well if i follow briana's advice, then pup might sleep a bit at work.  i work a 5 hour day.  would that be too long to leave home?  maybe i could do a couple days at work and a couple days at home.  i'm about 15 minutes from home, so total time away from home would be 5 1/2 hours.  thoughts and advice on this are also greatly appreciated.

thanks!

We leave Abby up to 6 hours on some days,but she's a grown up girl of 5.To begin with it would be too long and you'd need to build up slowly.Thats what we did when she was a baby.Alison

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »
Yes at the start, please remember you are bringing home a baby   :pacifier: who has lived with mom and littermates.  Being alone will be terrifying for baby  :pacifier: and you must work up to that.
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Briana

• NOVICE
  • Fluffs: Coke & Pepsi
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »

hi briana.  thanks for your advice.  i work 9-2.  how often do you think i would have to walk in this time at work?  i would walk him before work for sure.  then maybe at 11, then again at 1?  any suggestions or advice?

thanks!
you're welcome. it is thoughtful of you to not want to leave your puppy home alone. 11 and again at 1 would be perfect. but puppies probably need to eliminate every 1-2 hours, will you be able to use pee pads inside? if you will that would be great. walking him twice during work will be plenty to tucker him out. enjoy your puppy,i have one and know the joy very well

THANK YOU ELLA FLUFFELLA for the beautiful sig. Ella & AnnMarie you are missed! Come back!

ILuvBichons

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Yes at the start, please remember you are bringing home a baby   :pacifier: who has lived with mom and littermates.  Being alone will be terrifying for baby  :pacifier: and you must work up to that.

yes, definitely.  that's one of the reasons why i want to bring him to work with me.  i'll work on leaving him an hour here and an hour there on weekends to start and hopefully work him up to being home alone for short periods of time.

ILuvBichons

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »

thanks!
you're welcome. it is thoughtful of you to not want to leave your puppy home alone. 11 and again at 1 would be perfect. but puppies probably need to eliminate every 1-2 hours, will you be able to use pee pads inside? if you will that would be great. walking him twice during work will be plenty to tucker him out. enjoy your puppy,i have one and know the joy very well

thanks again briana!  i start work at 9, so i plan on walking him prior to work, then i'll try 11 and then again at 1 and see how that works. then i get out at 2, so he will go out again before we get in the car to go home.  how long of a walk to you think he would need, so that he is restful while i am at work?  i do plan on having a pee pad for him inside as well.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
When can you bring him home? Alison

ILuvBichons

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »
When can you bring him home? Alison

hi alison.  i'll be meeting him the second week of april.  i believe he should be somewhere around 6 weeks old then, but the breeder said he won't be able to go to his new home until the end of may when he is 12 weeks old.  so, it'll be a while.  i'm just trying to prepare before i get him.

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
I am happy to read that the breeder will be keeping the pup until he is 12 weeks old!  :thumbsup: This will give him time to mature and he won't be as scared coming to his new home as hopefully the breeder will have socialized him a bit in her environment and leaving the pack will not be as stressful for him. Also I would hope that the breeder would start to introduce toilet training by that time which will make it easier on you.
The only other thing I can think of is by 12 weeks of age puppies are full of energy!  :yahoo: They are still on a 3x per day feeding schedule, which means they need to exercise and walk at least 3x per day to move their bowels. Granted they also sleep/nap for long periods too, but it will be up to you to get the pup on a schedule that works with your lifestyle. I have always found that the more time consistency and patients you put into your pup in the early months, although it is hard and sometime exhausting work, it pays off in the end.
My Lia will be 3 at the end of May, Luigi will be 4 years old in November and they are both reliable to be left home alone for up to 6 hours if needed.
I can't wait to see pictures of your pup!

Thank you Alison!