Author Topic: New puppy comes home tomorrow! Have a few questions...  (Read 12287 times)

Offline jkebeas

• Kelly
New puppy comes home tomorrow! Have a few questions...
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
Coconut comes home to us from the breeder tomorow! She is 7 weeks old. The breeder is 3 1/2 hours away, so first of all, are there any good tips for bringing her home? My family of four is all going to get her.
Secondly, she comes from a litter of two, but sadly her little brother died at 3 weeks old. Consequently, she has been a singleton for most of her life. The breeder says she has been very needy since being weaned, and that she has been carrying Coconut around a lot, and that she wants to be held all the time. From the puppy books I've read, one is not supposed to pick the puppy up every time it whines. So I'm wondering how we should handle this when Coconut comes home. My daughters are 11 and 9 and will be happy to hold her and play with her all the time, but I want to do what's best to make her a healthy happy girl for years to come. Any suggestions?

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
Re: New puppy comes home tomorrow! Have a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
I'm getting serious, alert signals about this puppy!  First, what caused the brother to die?  Second, why is the breeder allowing the puppy to leave at 7 weeks of age?  You MUST ask this breeder to have the puppy examined by a vet BEFORE you get her.  She may be one of those unfortunate pups born with a heart murmur (which could be the reason the other puppy died).  You do not want your girls to fall in love with this pup only to have her die young.  So, before you pay this puppy needs to have a full health exam and you must be able to speak (by phone) with the vet.  Ask the vet's name and look up the number yourself.  If I sound like I don't trust this breeder, you're right!  You are taking on a family member for at least 15 years.  You don't want a sickly or dying pup on your hands.  So think hard about what you are doing and get that exam BEFORE you get the pup. 

Offline jkebeas

• Kelly
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
Oh my goodness! Thanks for your quick reply. The breeder has been sending me pictures every week or so. She's letting her go at seven weeks because we all have to go back to work/school next week, so we wanted some time at home with her. I know she had her shots yesterday, but did not ask the name of the vet. The breeder has said the puppy is very robust, healthy, etc., I've made an appointment with my vet on Friday. But, you may be right. I hope not. She said the brother was always small and had trouble nursing, and that sometimes it just happens. I don't know why she even told me about it in the first place, because how would I know any different? She could have just told me that he already got picked up.
Now I am worried ...

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
Call and ask for the vet's name.  Tell the breeder you want to be sure the pup is healthy so you want permission to get the information from the vet appointment faxed to you BEFORE picking up the puppy.  Sometimes breeders will give their own vaccines and the pup never sees a vet.  Tell her it is a deal breaker!  If you didn't have kids I'd say you could get the pup and take it to your own vet with a written agreement that you can return the pup if it is unwell.  But the kids will be in love the moment they see your puppy and that won't work.  So, even if you have to pay for the vet appointment, the breeder should get this pup's health guaranteed by a vet.  I would be worried!

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Thats good advice from Mary Ellen.

Abby came home at 8 weeks and did want to be carried a lot.I gave in and she still loves to be carried,but is a fairly confident ,people loving 5 year old.It made her feel more secure.Its against all you read,but works for us.Alison

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »
Like Mary Ellen, I was getting lots of "bad vibes" reading about this.

Have you met the parents?  What is their personality like?

Have BOTH parents been tested for OFA and CERF?  These are hereditary diseases of eyes and hips.  Have you seen the test results?

Does this breeder use a written guarantee?

Here is a link to the Bichon Information Station.  Scroll down, watching the left most column  There is a section called BREEDERS.  You should read all the essays under that label.  (The links for CERF and OFA testing are broken; sorry about that.)
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/

Normally, a puppy should stay with mom and litter mates AT LEAST until age 9 weeks, and preferably to age 12 weeks. In my state (Rhode Island) it is illegal to sell a puppy under age 9 weeks.  They learn so much from the others.

I agree with Mary Ellen about speaking with HER vet yourself!

Have you seen the written contract already?  Does in provide that you MUST return the dog to her no matter what the age if you cannot care for it any longer?  See "Identifying a Reputable Breeder" at that link. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Lizzie

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
I'm sorry but like Mary Ellen I too am getting serious warning signals here.   :cry1:

I am also a breeder here in the UK and would NEVER let a puppy go at 7 weeks no matter the situation.   Rather run the puppy on for a bit just to make sure.  Vaccinating at 7 weeks that's a No NO in my book.  Puppy being carried around - mmmmmmm.  Have you seen the parents?

Speak to your breeders Vet as suggested.  Let us know the outcome.

Offline moraimag

• NOVICE
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
Im ni expert as Im a new mommy but it does sounds a bit on the bad side, Im not sure but a litter of 2 might have come from too young parents and I will make sure why the little brother died. Im sorry this does not looks like good news but is best to know now that to lose your puppy due to illness. Hopefully everything will be fine and you can bring coconut home, as for carrying her around I believe you can train the little fluff to do what you want if you invest the time. God luck and please let us know if you're able to clear things up.

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
I agree with the others in that I was not feeling good about the breeder or this puppy.  Please keep us updated on this puppy and what you decide. I know that it is so hard when you are set to get a new puppy, but you do not want to have a sick puppy and have your girls disappointed if something happens. 

Offline BellasMommy (Kelly)

• EXPERT
  • City Girl Living in the Suburbs
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
Hi, there. I just wanted to chime in and add that I missed several red flags when I adopted Bella, and months after bringing her home, the breeder (who was a prestigious breeder and AKC judge) was arrested for animal cruelty. It was horrible. This thread lists some of the things that, in retrospect, should have been obvious to me: http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,18880.msg265744.html#msg265744. Bella also only had one sibling as the others died during birth.

Bella is a healthy, happy girl these days at almost 2 years old, but it doesn't always work out that way so please be careful. Also, once that puppy gives you one little kiss or snuggle, you're going to be in love. Better to get the details before meeting the puppy.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
How did things go at the breeders today? I hope things went well and the pup is in good health.Alison

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
Also checking in to see how the visit with the puppy went 

Lizzie

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
Just checking to see how things went.   I do so hope that this lady checks in. :blush2:   I wouldn't like her to think we were rude.   We just want to what's best for all of our fluffs and do try to be helpful where we can.  Wouldn't you agree ladies.  :cheer:

Offline Anna25

• NOVICE
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Ladies, I am new here and I am thankful for everyones advice.  I do hope she checks back in.  I am sure that after she told her children that they were getting a new puppy there was no turning back.  Chance was not from a fancy breeder by any stretch of the imagination and as someone said as soon as I saw him I was sold.  I didn't even know anything much about the breed.  A friend thought a new puppy was just what the doctor had ordered for the Caldwell Family and she arranged our meeting......as they say...."The Rest Is History"  I am very thankful that I stumbled with my limited computer expertise on this website.  I think you all are wonderfu...l you are like a security blanket for me. :)

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:11:22 PM »
Lizzie, I totally agree with you and the rest.  I hope that she was not offended but just do not want to set her up for heartbreak and want to make sure that her puppy is healthy.  It is even harder when there are children involved.  Hope that things worked out for them and that they will let us know what they decided.