Author Topic: Male or Female Puppy  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Philb

• NOVICE
  • Pippi
Male or Female Puppy
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
We are now looking for another "best friend" now that Coco is at the bridge. We have been in contact with a few breeders and there are possibilities. This new puppy would no way be replacement for Coco but a new "best Friend"for us.  I feel confident that Coco would want us to get on with our lives. The difficulty we are having is one of would perfer a female and the other one prefers a male. I understand and realize that the choice is up to a individual. But, can anyone give me a reason to get one gender over the other.

Offline BB56 (Donna)

• ENTHUSIAST
Re: Male or Female Puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
I have one of each (that's one solution  :wink: )  and think it has more to do with their individual personality than their gender. Guess I'm no help!!

Thanks Alison!

bluebell

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
If you are going to have him or her altered as a puppy, there is virtually no difference between the genders. I happen to have three girls as they were all adopted and came to me as they were, but I constantly have lots of client and friend dogs over (bichons and other small breeds) and have never had issues with any of the boys (or girls, but then I screen who comes for playdates and sleepovers too). It's all about the personality and temperament of the individual dogs. If you like to dress them up then a girl might be better for that, but I would worry more about meeting the pups and seeing which one feels right.

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »
Phil, I wanted a female when I got Noah and  I would not trade him for the world.  He is the sweetest-kindest soul and I would have gotten another male when I got my second dog, but Roxie had some sleep overs with us and she and Noah just hit it off so she was a perfect fit.  I think that either one that you pick you will love them and like Danielle said, once neutered, there is really not a lot of difference. 

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »
Danielle said a very important point:  IF you get the boy neutered young.

You know all mine are rescues.  Willy was age 5 years when he was neutered. He marks, and it is a nuisance to remember to use the belly band.  Mostly because in taking it off he snaps at me.   :hyper: 

Other than that, I have both.  Personality is everything, gender is a minor concern.  And your training will be important as well, with either.  Do you plan to have the pup in obedience classes?  Do you know where you would go for that?  Socialization is so very important, both with people and with other dogs.  I am a HUGE fan of group training classes.
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline nzbyrd

• G.O.D.
    • BeeGee the Bichon
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:59:45 AM »
BeeGee was neutered at 5 1/2 months, he still marks, I don't think there are any gauarantees. Its more about personalities (imho). There are pluses and minuses in either gender. Nevertheless, both my Bichons (BeeGee - male, Maddy - female) are adorable and fill my heart with joy.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
For me its always a girl,but thats because I live in an all male household and want some female company and girly pink things  :vain: .

The obvious answer is have 1 of each  :inlove:  :laughing:  .Alison

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
Every male dog, bichon or not, that visits my house attempts to mark INSIDE.  They are ALL neutered.  It's for this reason that I choose females.  I've had one male dog (my first one).  He was mostly fine in my home, but prone to mark in others.  So, I vote for a female!

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
I have one of each, and as much as I  :loveword: both my pups it is for totally different reasons. My boy is a cuddle bum, a real lap dog and constant companion, he is larger in size, approx 15 pounds and sturdy. My little girl is small boned and petite, very independent, cuddles on her terms only and can be very aggressive towards other dogs. If she wants something she gets it, and she can guard her home like a vicious guard dog.  :shocking: She even bosses Luigi around.
She was harder to potty train, I feel one of the reasons was due to her small stature, but she is 100% reliable now as she asks to go out.
Luigi on the other hand was so easy to train, he too will ask to go out, was neutered as a pup, but at around two years of age he started marking outside on our walks, I never thought anything of it until he did it in my house!  :frustrated: Anything that comes in from outside like shopping bags, cases of pop, students nap sacks can't be left on the floor or Luigi may decide to mark them. This fall we had a mouse in the house, the mouse was in our family room obviously eating the crumbs from snacks, I found the evidence as Luigi lifted his leg on all seven cushions of our sectional!!! :mad: Luigi is my 1st male dog, we have always had girls and I know for a fact that if I were to get another pup, it would be female.

Thank you Alison!

Offline moraimag

• NOVICE
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Phil im so happy for you!  Im no help for choosing gender, I have 3 sons and husband makes four, so I wanted another girl in the house.  I beleive that it doesnt really matter what gender you choose, youll have a new best friend while at the same time keeping Coco alive in your heart.  Merry xmas.

Offline lorraine (Lorraine)

• GURU
  • Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
Just wanted to add that I have two girls, one marks inside and the other doesn't!  :rolledeyes2: