Author Topic: Help me choose!!  (Read 9768 times)

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
Help me choose!!
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
I'm picking up my puppy on 8/12 (he will be one day shy of 8weeks). I have one reserved now, but now that I've gone to visit them, I have another one in mind.

(temporary name) Bear:
-sleepy
-snuggly
-a little smaller around the belly than the other 2 boys
-had the strongest pigment, nose is mostly all black.. first one to turn black in the litter

He actually fell asleep in my hand at the end, it was very sweet. I'm not sure if he was so content to be on me because he was tired or if he's just a snuggler.

(temporary name) Boo:
-more playful
-chewed on my fingers (teething)
-has a bit more of a cuter face, from what I can tell.. it's the look I want
-has buff/apricot markings on the top of his head, maybe ears too.. I'm not great with colors (not color blind, but I have vision issues) so I can't tell
-eyes seem to be a bit more round than Bear's
-nose is slightly more pink in places

I'm not sure what to do. I bonded with Bear's pic when he was first born and I reserved him (b/c the breeder said he had the best pigment and that's the one she'd choose). So, after holding him and everything, I feel kind of sad about switching up. but Boo seems more playful, but maybe that's only because Bear was more tired at the time? I know they were only just 4 weeks 3 days when I saw them, so their personalities are still developing, but I have nothing else to go on besides what I've seen. Boo seems more playful and did let me hold him, but I don't want a dog that is too busy playing and doesn't want to snuggle with me, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I can decide when I go to pick 'him' up, but if I want to get Boo, I'm afraid someone will get him first, so it'd be good to decide soon. Boo has the apricot marks on him though, and I'm kind of worried they won't go away. I'm not going to show him or anything, but I don't want people who don't know better to doubt that he's a purebred, kwim? For those of you whose puppies had this, what was your experience, did it fade or grow out?

So, I'm curious to see what you guys think. Any idea of which one I should get?

Bear

(sleeping in my hand :) aww)

Boo
(I love his face!)

(marks on his head)

brothers :)
Bear on left, Boo on right

Boo in center, Bear on right

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
Re: Help me choose!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
Both sound and look stunning and adorable.get both?

Seriously,only you can choose.Apricot is a sign of good pigment.Even the KC allow up to 10% for showing.Abby had very apricot ears ,her sister was very white,but very nervous.Now she is all white just about.You can see the buff at the base of her ears when wet and sometimes just after a haircut.I miss her darker ears.

Here she is at 8 weeks

12 weeks

and now

Just to show how it can fade.Alison

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
Thank you! :)

I think I've been leaning towards Boo, I just feel bad that I thought I was going to leave with Bear and held him as if he were mine, and then I'll be leaving him.. I feel like a traitor. Not that he knows the difference. lol :) I'm just worried about Boo not wanting to snuggle, but I know he's a puppy and puppies like to play.. and I do want one that plays, so I 'think' he will be my choice. I just can't make up my mind for sure. :(

Offline BellasMommy (Kelly)

• EXPERT
  • City Girl Living in the Suburbs
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:40 PM »
Well, they are both totally freaking adorable! Their personalities and the emotional connection are way more important than the ear color. They are both precious. What a cute dilemma to have!

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
Yep, that's true.. which is why I think I'm leaning towards Boo... while I do care about him not being all white, I think his spunk overshadows that for me. He came over to me and was all over my lap, so I kind of feel like he chose me and we bonded. Bear was pretty mellow overall, he cried the most too.

• EXPERT
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
I modified my post (had confused the names LOL)

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
I have adopted each and every foster dog I was given: 6 in all.  In 4 years!   :doh:  Do you REALLY want my vote?   :laughing:

I've never had a puppy.  Having worked w/ rescue, 8 weeks is quite young to remove a pup from mom and litter.  Once you select one, you may want to work w/ the breeder and have him stay for 1 to 3 weeks longer.  Here in RI, by law a pup cannot be removed from mom and litter under 9 weeks.  They learn so much from 9 to 12 weeks, especially bite inhibition.  Many states have laws on this.  Do you have children?  Having the pup already know bite inhibition can be an important advantage!  Otherwise, you and everyone in the home needs to be able to teach this.  Just something to consider.

They are all so cute!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Princess Lucy Loulou

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Awww they are all sooo fluffaliciously gawgus  :wub: my Boo say's Boo is a great name  :thumbup:

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
Me again, I have 2 questions.

Who is the 3rd puppy?

And, why do they have red paws????   :blink:
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Katrinka (Catherine)

• NOVICE
  • Buddy on Guard
    • Frugal Freebies
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
I remember when we got Buddy, I had to choose between him and his brother. His brother just laid on the floor and shivered, he was so afraid. Buddy jumped all over me, saying Pick Me! Pick Me! LOL

Since I had older teens as well as a 10y old son, and the teens were loud and "scary" to a little puppy - we chose Buddy, because we thought he would fit in the best. Lively and playful. But i was so tempted to take his brother too, and make him feel safe. I still think about that little puppy, all these years later...

So I guess I am no help, other than to says that the lively dog would probably be my choice - Buddy was the best dog, and I still miss him.
~*~ Catherine, missing her little Buddy   :fluffangel: , but now I have two new best friends!  :fluffbop:

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
Thats just how I chose Abby Katrinka.I have teenage boys and a noisy house and her sister sat there shaking in my arms.She was adorable and I so wanted her too,but I knew we weren't the right home for her.Alison

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
The third is their brother.. I'm just not crazy about the shape of his face so he wasn't in the running. The red paw is just nail polish so they know who is who.

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
I think that puppies sometime pick their families as you picking them.  Both Bear and Boo are adorable and you need to ensure that you pick the one who most likely will fit in your family.  I totally agree with Sandie in waiting for another few weeks.  I know that you can hardly wiat to gt your baby, but they learn so much in a few weeks.  Please let us know what you decide as I think that who ever you pick, it will be right.

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
I will. :)

I don't know if I can wait another month, I've been waiting forever already (was on the waiting list before they even were conceived). I read a lot online and it seems to be the norm to get them at 8 weeks. I can't imagine it'd be that detrimental for him to get him them if that's the going age and other dogs grow up fine. Obviously I wouldn't think this if it was like 5 or 6 weeks old (I saw people online talking about getting their puppies then), but if he's eating food and peepad training, and the research on puppy stages says they need people socialization at 8-12 weeks anyway... I would think he'd be fine. I know I'm not an expert though, this is my first puppy. I just hate the thought of waiting if the breeder says I can have him.

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
TAKE THEM ALL!!!!!  :thumbup:
Just kidding .... go with your heart, it will be right!   :nodding:

Funny story ...
we went to Lia's breeder, we had 1st pick of the girls, as I knew I wanted a girl. Hubby, Luigi and I went and met all the pups we picked pup #4. Three weeks later,  maybe two,  :thinking: it was time to pick up Lia. I wanted to have her home for the weekend, so I let hubby and a student go and pick her up, the breeder was local so it was a half hour return trip, I was busy doing ... whatever.  Lia came home, we ohhhh'd and awe'd, but I thought her face shape had changed from the one "I" picked.
The next morning the breeder phoned me to say he gave hubby the wrong pup!!!!!!  :stop: :thinking: :confused: :doh: :bop:  He said "It looked like G4 but I have G4 here, if you want to come by we'll exchange them."
I said  :no2: it was meant to be. ..... someone out there has G4 and we have Lia~  :wub:

Thank you Alison!

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
Aww. :) She's a cutie, so you made the right choice.

I wish I could take them both. Not sure my hubby or finances would allow for that right now though.

Offline lorraine (Lorraine)

• GURU
  • Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
The breeder should know their personalities the best, talk to her and decide. I would definately not get a timid one and would go for one with a laid back nature. No help am I?  :frustrated:  :hysterical:
When I first saw Gabby she was only 4 weeks and had the best pigment but when I picked her up at eight weeks she was very timid. this was something that I had no idea about at 4 weeks, so making a final choice when they are older means that you know more what you are getting.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 06:33:49 AM »
Abby came home at  weeks.They need to have had their first vaccs before you move them.Alison

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
They're fully up to date on their shots before they leave. :) (They also come with deworming meds and food and a whole puppy care binder and a health guarantee.. I think something else too, I can't remember at the moment.)

Offline JandJ

• NOVICE
  • Jen and Jon and Boutros
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
It's funny, we had a similar choice when we brought home Boutros. I feel like you just "know" which one is your dog. I can't explain it. We'd been looking for a Bichon for a few months. There weren't any available for rescue and we did want a puppy. We were not happy with the breeders we were finding. We found our breeder locally and this was the first and only litter for her dogs (the momma got sick while nursing her pups - pups were fine but momma almost died - so they had her spayed). The girls were all claimed by 10 weeks and the 2 boys were left. I was so glad we got a choice between the 2 boys. From the pictures the breeder sent me, the one was much cuter but we wanted to choose. The one who became our Boutros was the runt, loving, licking, fell asleep in my husband's arms, just so sweet. The other one was arguably cuter - although now I can't imagine a cuter doggy than our Boutros - but he ran away from my husband and scratched and nipped me repeatedly. It was very obvious which little guy was OURS! We brought Boutros home at 13 weeks. It was great because he'd been in a home, with his momma, poppa, and brother before we brought him home, and with his sisters until they went to their new homes around 10 weeks. He was very well behaved (learned bite inhibition from his doggy family) and already crate trained (thanks so much to our breeder!).

Like another poster said, the  breeder should be able to read their personalities. Our breeder said Boutros is more like his poppa - and we fell in LOVE with his poppa and wanted to bring him home, too!

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46:52 AM »
I've been leaning towards Boo the past few days, however.. today it's been mostly Bear. *sigh* I wish this was an easier decision, or at least, I wish I could go visit them one more time before the trip to bring him home. It's an hour and a half away though, so we'll only be making the trip once more. So, I have to go by what I've seen and another chat with the breeder. I'm hoping she'll get pics of their faces for me since they'll be a week or more older from when I saw them and maybe they'll look a little different. Seems like I call too often though, I don't want to bug them.. but it's a hard thing to decide when I'm not there to play with them.

Offline Raewync (Rae)

• Super G.O.D.
  • Livin the life of Riley
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »
Well I saw that photo of Bear asleep in your hand and I loved him, I actually liked him better than Boo face wise, so it is definitely a personal choice.  As far as snuggly goes, our Rotti slept in my hand like that the day we picked her up, she is still snuggly, just too big for my hand now lol.  I like the dark pigment.  Riley had apricot ears and they faded, however he developed apricot patches on his back that he still has at nearly 6 years old.  He is from a good breeder, and definitely purebred and no one doubts it, but i couldn't care if they did, he is our baby.

Another Terri creation

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
Bear is so cute.I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way.Alison

Offline JandJ

• NOVICE
  • Jen and Jon and Boutros
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:22 AM »
Well I saw that photo of Bear asleep in your hand and I loved him, I actually liked him better than Boo face wise, so it is definitely a personal choice.

I felt the same.

Good luck in your choice! Can't wait to see pictures of your "little man" once you get him home!

• EXPERT
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
If you are really torn and feel you must decide before adoption day, you might make the trip to see them one more time. Our breeder was about the same distance and I visited her 2 or 3 weeks before I could pick her up. I'm glad I did because I felt like we had bonded before she even came home. Plus I took a few toys and left them with her so they would smell familiar when we brought them home along with her. I'm pretty sure the breeder thought I was nuts :crazy: when I called to request a play date!  Thanks for reminding me about all that, I loved every second of puppy planning and homecoming!

As far as cuteness, they are BOTH absolutely cute! Please pick on personality. :nodding:

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
Well, I liked both of their personalities, so that's not really easy to do. :( As for the ride, I don't drive and my husband said he's not going down again til we go to get him. I'd love another playdate though. I mainly just wanted to be decided before I picked him up because I don't want to pick wrong ahead of time and then the other one gets chosen by someone else and then I don't have the choice anymore. Plus it's nice to feel more bonded with 'my' puppy when I see his pcs.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
I'm sure you can find methods of persuasion  :devil: :vain:  :begging:  .Another visit would be lovely and then we get more pics  :whistling:.Alison

• GURU
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
Good luck in getting another trip, it would be so helpful for you and so much fun.  I love Alisons methods of persuasion.  :hysterical:

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
No other trip.. but I did get more pictures! :D

(She just snapped the pics after doing some grooming.. don't mind the clippings on the ground.)

Bear

Bear and Boo (in that order ;))

Boo and Bear

• GURU
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
They are beautiful puppies and look very simular except that Bear seems to have better pigment on his nose but it still may come in more on Boos.

Ever way they are both gorgeous! It is a hard call for you.

What did the breeder say about their personalities?

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:11 AM »
She said that they're both playful, but Bear is a little more laid back and easygoing. Boo is all about playing, from what I gather. :)

I think in the end, it's going to be Bear.. but Boo has definitely tugged on my heartstrings too.

• GURU
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »
 :woohoo: I like the laid back description so it looks as if Bear is going to be Bentley  :woohoo:

• EXPERT
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
They are both precious! They look so soft and fun. Nothing like cute Bichon puppy pictures to start my morning!  :clapping:

How much longer until adoption day?  (I know you already said but I can't remember.)

Offline nicpie

• NOVICE
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
16 days :)

• EXPERT
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
The countdown is on!!  :rock:

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
When we went to choose Abby I really wanted a girl,but there was one little one that was so playful,but he was a boy.My Mother in LAw ended up having him.He is still so hyper compared to Abby.

I'd probably choose the laid back one and he's so cute.Alison