Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
December 13, 2019, 12:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dexter is sick  (Read 27045 times)
Katrinka (Catherine)
NOVICE

Buddy on Guard

« on: June 11, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »

Poor little guy! He didn't want to get up this morning, which is not unusual as he is not a morning dog. When I get up, he usually goe in to sleep with my son. . But when everyone got up this morning, he sat at the top of the stairs, just shivering! I coaxed him down and got him to go out to pee. When he came back in, I put a sweater on him, thinking he was just cold since he recently went to the groomers, and it was a bit chilly this morning.

But he was still shivering. So I wrapped him up in a towel and he slept most of the morning. And he was still shivering. His eyes looked squinty and I could see he was in pain. I felt him all over and he never winced, he never reacted so I don't know where he hurts.

Then I remembered that when Buddy was shivering the vet said it meant he was in pain. I still had some of Buddy's Medicam pain meds, so I called the vet to see if I should give that to Dexter and how much? But they were gone for the day. So I called my daughter-in-law (who works for our vet) on her cell, but she did not answer. I left a message, but she didn't call back.

I called their house phone and my son answered and said they were nearly on their way out the door to a wedding and they were late. I told him about the shivering and he said yes, give the meds. So I did, gave him the same dose Buddy got since they were about the same weight and within half an hour, Dexter picked up, went out to pee (several times - because he has to mark, even though he is fixed), did a poop and then chased Denny all over the yard.

He came in, had a snack and is looking much better.

But my husband told me that yesterday Dexter had stolen and eaten 3 chocolate chip cookies - I tell him not to leave food laying around!! So I checked the package and it was PC Decadent Chocolate Chunks - semi-sweet - so I called the Animal Hospital to see if that could be what was making him sick. They said not likely, he would have to eat 83 ounces of semi-sweet to make him sick. The article I read online said only 3 ounces.

But she said I should not have given him the Medicam without the vet's permission! She said it could cause all sorts of problems and that it was a very strong med.
She said to watch him overnight and to bring him in if he throws up or I get worried.

He seems fine now, I don't think there will be a problem, but I can't help worrying. Why do these things always happen on the weekend?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:47:48 PM by Katrinka (Catherine) » Logged

~*~ Catherine, missing her little Buddy   fluffangel , but now I have two new best friends!  fluffbop

Susan J
G.O.D.

Missy is a 10 year old Texan

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »

Oh poor Dexter and poor you.  It is so hard to know what to do about a sick fluff when the vet is not available and one has no idea as to what is causing the misery.   sad

I'm glad that he seems better now and hope that it was just a temporary thing. 

Thanks Del
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

I hope it is just one of those unexplained things (that happens on weekends) and that Dexter will be back to normal very soon!  comfort

Thank you Alison!
Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »

Oh bless you  comfort you were doing what any of us fluff mums would do if our babies were sick and we couldnt get the vet  nodding so dont beat yourself up about it  No I'm sure Dexter will be fine  nodding give hima wee  Hug from us  Wub
Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

It's so hard to know what to do for our little angels... It's not like they can tell us what's wrong.

I would have done the same as you did. nodding It seems to have made him feel better anyway.

Keep an eye on him (like you have to be told to do that, right?) and keep us posted OK. comfort

Katrinka (Catherine)
NOVICE

Buddy on Guard

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »

My daughter-in-law called me back and she agreed - I should not have given him the Medacam.  sad She thinks it is possible that he has a urinary or bladder infection, because he wears diapers.

Of course now the Medacam is masking the symptoms, he is running around and barking like normal. He ate all his dinner, and is acting perfectly normal. So we are waiting to see what happens when the meds wear off - if the shivering comes back? She gave me the name of a 24 hours clinic - and if he is OK till Monday, she will get us into our vet right at 9AM.

Sometime I have to post something about Denny, this Dexter dog always seems to get all of the attention!  Rolled Eyes

~*~ Catherine, missing her little Buddy   fluffangel , but now I have two new best friends!  fluffbop

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »

I'm glad he is back to his old self, lol!

You really shouldn't give him the Metacam w/o a vet checking him over and prescribing it for him, first.  Yes, it is a pain killer; but you don't know for sure that he WAS in pain (see below), and if he were in pain, by masking the pain whatever is hurt could become worse as he doesn't feel the pain and moves around.

Lacey gets like this now and again in the mornings.  With her, it is low blood glucose -- she has gone too long with no food.  I find I have to give her a treat about 9:30 PM or she can't seem to make it to the morning.  Once she has started the shivering and looking so awful, she won't take food.  I have to force feed her some tiny bits of hot dog (or something else soft and yummy).  I make sure to get at least the length of my pinkie finger in to her.  Within half an hour, she is ready to eat, STARVING!

With him getting in to the cookies, he could well have had low blood glucose -- the carbs in the cookies make a spike, so the body produces extra insulin to cover the carbs, and then the blood glucose level plunges.  So it wouldn't have been the chocolate, but the fact that he over did it with sweet stuffs.

Hope it doesn't happen again!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

I think all dogs are different in regards to the amount of chocolate that will cause symptoms. I know with Darwin, it takes only a small amount because he seems to have a delicate digestive system.

My first thought was UTI, too. If so, the shivering may have been from fever. Does the Medicam have an NSAID (ie ibuprofen) or acetaminophen base? If so, it likely reduced his fever and perked him up. My kids are always like that.

At any rate, you were trying to help him, so don't beat yourself up. If it were that bad, he wouldn't snap back with one dose of med.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »

Mattie shakes when she has an upset stomach.  She also shook when she had the bladder stones and tried to pee.  I agree about the Metacam.  Only give it if it is prescribed.  I have a vet hospital on speed dial and the address already in my GPS.  You never know when you will need it.  I sure hope Dexter is fine and just had an upset tummy.  OH, these fluffs can sure make us worry!!! 

Katrinka (Catherine)
NOVICE

Buddy on Guard

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:16:33 AM »

Really Metacam is just a pain killer and they prescribe it to dogs in pain and dogs that have inflamation. So if he's had it before and was fine on it, it's not a big deal that you used it again and only once, if the dog has pain and has not had a bad reaction to it before.

That was the problem - it was not prescribed for him - it was Buddy's old meds. They had not expired, but it was not Dexter's meds.

He seems to have spurts of energy and then crashes and sleeps. Hopefully I didn't make the situation worse. I guess we will find out tomorrow when the meds wear off...

With him getting in to the cookies, he could well have had low blood glucose -- the carbs in the cookies make a spike, so the body produces extra insulin to cover the carbs, and then the blood glucose level plunges.  So it wouldn't have been the chocolate, but the fact that he over did it with sweet stuffs.

That makes a lot of sense. Three chocolate chunk cookies in a 10 lb dog is a lot! I have to get after my husband all the time about leaving stuff where Dexter can get into it. Maybe this time he will learn!

Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »

SO sorry that Dexter was not feeling good, but seems to be doing ok now.  It is so hard to know what is going on with our furbabies when they cannot tell us and you are right it is always on the weekends or at night and the vet is closed.  HOpe that Dexter continues to be fine for the rest of the weekend.  Will look forward to hearing something about Denny- hope that he is doing ok.

lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:27:14 AM »

That is not a nice situation to be in Catherine, you wanted help and couldn't get it and did the best you could. I think that is good advice that you have from your dil, if you are at all worried take him to the 24 hour vet hospital. I hope he is fine when the medicine wears off, and let us know how he is then.  comfort

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »

Poor thing,I hope he's better soon.I was thinking maybe a fever with the shivering.I'd just watch him and see how it goes.Always happens on a Sunday!!!

Abby has been sick this morning for no apparent reason so I'm watching her now.Alison

JandJ
NOVICE

Jen and Jon and Boutros

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »

I hope Dexter is feeling a lot better today! It is so scary when they're sick and we can't figure out what's going on and just do the best we can. I feel lucky because our regular vet is open Saturdays and they are affiliated with a great after-hours vet clinic that is 5 minutes from our house if, heaven forbid, we ever need them.

Please keep us posted on Dexter!

nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »

Hope Dexter is feeling better comfort

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: