Author Topic: Bichon Information  (Read 7550 times)

Offline Fuzzmom

Re: Bichon Information
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
No problem, I find grooming fun. Oh, which reminds me, I'm looking for a very specific comb, which I had years ago and can't find another one..mine got lost in a move. It's all steel I think, even the handle, with medium fine teeth, and  all it said on the handle was vip. I can't remember where I bought it, and so many places have gone out of business, but it's the best. I even had a piano drop on it, straightened the end with pliers; good as new. I've never found one as comfortable to hold, and I need handles with my combs, hads cramp.

Offline lorraine (Lorraine)

• GURU
  • Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »
Thanks Fuzzmum for starting up such and interesting thread. My two certainly resemble Lins!  :laughbounce:
Go for it but spend plenty of time with the new puppies before deciding which one has the right temperment for you.

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »
You're welcome. Definitely, that way we can connect and find which one connects the best. I do some temperament testing too, but sometimes the one with the best temperament doesn't always have the "click" i've found the clic k always wins out in the end, so hoping to find one with both.

bluebell

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
My bichons are very attached to me, but they are not in tune with me the way my poodle is. Their reaction to most things is slight confusion followed by an attempt to look cute for cuddles. Azra, however, learns things from observation in a frighteningly intelligent way. As much as I love my bichons, I would not deem them fit for service work other than therapy dog work. A mini poodle would be my vote (Azra is a toy, but I am a groomer and work with many breeds on a daily basis).

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »
Zoe my late first bichon and my Chich now were and are very intelligent dogs. Penny also deceased was called our dizzy blonde. A sign of a dogs intelligence is whether they recognise themselves in a mirror. If they think there is another dog there ( after the first couple of times of showing them their image) they are  definately not super intelligent.

Chich knows lots of words. I can say to her I am going to have a shower and she will go into her daytime crate and wait for me to lock the door. ( she knows she is not to be let loose in the house on her own or even let loose in the bathroom while I am in the shower).

If I say I am going shopping she goes to the hall door knowing she will be put into the large crate in my bedroom. She reacts to many more words and phrases.

You ask her where are the treats and she goes to the pantry door. She can bring toys by name. I would say that shows intelligence. Not all bichons are super intelligent just like humans and I think it depends on their genes just like in humans.

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »
How do you do that? Never had one that knew toys by name, that's always fascinated me when dogs can do that. A mini poodle would also be a good idea, but I love the Bichon size/texture. Will have to see what's available when I start looking. They're both adorable breeds. The other breed I was looking into was a Havanese, but I think a Bichon could tollerate winter better..thicker coat..double coat.

Offline BellasMommy (Kelly)

• EXPERT
  • City Girl Living in the Suburbs
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
C.C. - check out this video clip on Bichons from Dogs 101:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByRAVCAUWYI.

It covers some basic breed info and it sure is cute to watch!  I love Binty the puppy.  :wub:

Bella knows the names of a lot of her toys and many other words. She just learned by me blabbing all the time!   :laughing:

Havanese are adorable, too.  There is one in our neighborhood.  Of course, Bella is cuter.  :wink:

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
I do understand what Danielle is saying.  My friend's poodle, Teddy, learned how to unlatch his crate at 10 months of age.  I saw it happen at agility class.  My friend was sitting and watching another dog run.  Her crate, with Teddy in it was behind her chair.  I was off to the side and saw Teddy pawing at and grabbing the latch in his mouth.  Then he slid it over and opened the door.  It wasn't a fluke, because he did it more times, and faster after that.  She finally had to clip the door closed with a shower curtain ring!  I think the difference is that poodles can think and solve problems without being shown how to do something.  Bichons don't seem to have that ability.  I read some where that only poodles and border collies can problem solve like that. 

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 01:31:50 AM »
More food for thought, of course then I couldn't be a part of this nice forum..bummer. Unlocking his own kennel? Yikes! So, if I get a poodle and go to a restaurant, she'll order her own meal, lol. Seriously, I want someone in tune with me, who can tell when my issue is about to happen, my little guy gave me 2 hours warning, then less and less, till about 20 minutes of warning, he now gives between fifteen/twenty minutes of warning before it happens. He taught himself that. However, I don't want someone so smart that I can't keep up with, between the disability and the baby, I don't need a perpetual 2 year old. Smart, yes, but also able/willing to follow directions and not get borred. Much of the time is spent lying down, which can be borring for some fuzzy kids.

• EXPERT
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
I know very little about Bichons as service dogs, but I am so intrigued!  Personally, I think it depends on the individual dog. Sure, some breeds, like Labs, Poodles, and Goldens are genetically predisposed to excel, but within those breeds A LOT of individual pups don't make the cut. (I'm talking about in formal service dog training facilities.)  Plus, mixed breed dogs are service dogs as well.

I watched a show once about a Bichon who was a hearing service dog whose job it was to alert the owner when someone came to the door, etc. The little doggy did this by running from the object that made the noise to the owner, giving a little paw tap, and back to the noise, etc., back and forth until the owner acknowledged. I feel like I could teach my Bella to do that in a few days.  The Bichon did not seem to be trained to perform any other service tasks.

Bella is a natural for therapy dog work. She is very in tune with moods and feelings. I will give you two brief examples: 1.) I get quite sick often and Bella immediately recognizes that I am down for the count, and she will peacefully and calmly keep me company, shooting me concerned looks once in a while, and she listens 100% reliably, basically shifts to angel mode. That said, I live with my boyfriend and she gets walked and exercised by him during these times. She also can be a little devil for my boyfriend.  2.) A few months ago I was taking an afternoon nap and Bella woke me up by frantically kissing and nudging and pawing at me. When I woke up I realized my chest was tight with pains, arm and jaw numbess -classic signs of a heart attack that I had been sleeping through. It turned out that I did not have a heart attack, but a less consequential valve issue instead. The point is that she definitely alerted me of the problem.

I did not ever ask her to do those things and I don't rely on her for anything but love and cuddles, so if I were to ever seek a service dog to reliably do more than what I've named or a simple task like the noise alert, I would want a graduate from an official school for service dogs.  

I think your choice to train a Bichon to be your service dog should be based on what you will need her to do, and whether you would accept her and love her as a pet if she did not perform her service duties to your needs. Then you could get her a poodle friend!   :hysterical:

I believe that Poodles in general are higher energy dogs than Bichons, but by no means will a Bichon puppy want to lay around all day. They need to run and play and be sillyheads.

Good luck and its great that you are doing so much research.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:50:56 AM by BellasMommy (Kelly) »

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
Well, her job description would be; get up, eat, play, follow Mom around, alert to anything odd, go back to playing, yard is fenced, doors are usually opened. If I go out, walk nicely on the lead beside me, or ride with me in the wheelchair, alert to problems. Oh, look cute and be p.r. for people with disabilities..ice breakers ya know. No retrieval or picking stuff up, I don't need it, unless she wanted to. Lying down quietly is if I'm out, riding, in the librarry, etc. So no real heavy s.d. work, more med. service. May later do some therapy dog work, as in nursing homes, etc. The other part is natural, Theraputic sd..meaning theraputic emotionally for the owner, that also counts as an official s.d. task, so just by being there if I start to wig out shopping..crowds..she's there as a calming presence, and that's just natural. I think all those can be done at home, having done it once with the little mix breed angel at my feet..oh don't get me wrong, he'll chew your house apart if left alone, and did when younger. How does that sound? Bichon friendly?

• EXPERT
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Overall it sounds pretty Bichonable to me, but I'm only on my first one, so wait for the real experts!  I can tell you that I call Bella the mayor of our street, people love her and  she is so friendly to everyone!  Bichons LOVE attention!  Go ahead and check that box! 

They are an endless supply of friendship and love. Bella feeds off my emotions, so I  don't know if she would remain calm while I was freaking out? She might wig out with me! 

Trained Bichons can be great leash walkers. Bella will happily sit on my lap for long stretches of time. She also lays nicely next to me at outdoor restaurants, but that took a lot of practice (and treats) and she has to be exercised, fed, and walked before we go.

Oh, they come pre-programmed to follow you around.

They generally need to be supervised outside, so I'm not sure about leaving the door open. Bella tries to eat stuff off the ground and some Bichons are diggers. Plus, large prey birds will attack them if they are alone.

Potty training is super time consuming but can be done. Bella never potties inside but she also doesn't bark to go out, so we have to watch for "the look" that means its time. She makes a lot of faces, its cute.

Bella learns really quickly and is pretty perceptive. They are all different, as everyone acknowledges. I have no idea how to predict whether the puppy you consider will be able to anticipate and alert you to medical issues. That one is definitely for someone who knows more than I do!

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »
Will have to watch for the digging, my guy used to be quite the landscaper, I've got pics on phone of him up to his tail..no kidding..in mud in a hole he made himself. Remember, she'll have the other dog for company and to copy cat from about the potty thing, so that might help. Doors are open when we're just doing houe work so my girl can run in one and out the other, she does it all day, it's now her favorite game. THat way she can be nosy out side and still check on the baby..that's Her baby btw, not mine. Never when we're not home, everything's locked and the Bichon would go with. Fence is five ft high btw, gate is padlocked.

• EXPERT
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
That's funny about your dog going in and out the different doors, I can totally see a Bichon tagging along and holding up the rear!   :laughing:

I'm pretty lucky that Bella has little to no landscaping bug. She will scuffle around in blankets, but doesn't ever try to dig outside. Good thing since its not like I can just hose her down!!   :hysterical:

Offline Fuzzmom

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
Yeah, she could hitch a ride as the big girl makes her rounds, haha. Will have to figure out a way to elevate her in the tub, I've got an eleven ft shower hose, but I think having her up higher would be easier on me. Especially since it sounds like the baths can take awhile.