Author Topic: Is this Bichon Puppy Okay?  (Read 6406 times)

Offline SeoulCorkman

Is this Bichon Puppy Okay?
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My fiance and myself are purchasing a Bichon Frise puppy from a family who lives a few hours from us and I just had a few questions that I hoped those in the know here might answer for me. Its a lovely family selling the puppies and they are all registered etc. I think the mother was too young when she had the babies so lost two and had three more, two girls and a boy.

We took a trip out to see them last week and fell in love with all of them but can only afford to take one at the moment. The boy is the smallest and best looking of the lot but my fiance really wanted a girl so thats what we chose and we could have chosen any of them. We checked this site and a few other sites to find out what to look for in Bichon pups.

They all seemed healthy and friendly. They are now at 32 days old but the nose of the one we chose (to be picked up at eight weeks) isnt fully black yet, there is a lot of pink on it. The male was the only one with a fully black nose. That will change as she grows a few more weeks? Also the nose wasn't too wet. One of the reasons we picked the girl we did was because her hair was the healthiest and she was relaxed enough but friendly. Her eyes are worrying us a small bit so I was hoping you good people could look at the picture and let us know what you think. I dont want her to have problems in later life with her eyes if its an issue. They just dont seem as round as they should be and give a bit of a sad look. There is a bit of hair covering her eyes so maybe thats part of it but I have heard that Bichons are liable to eye trouble. 
We are getting her as a pet not as a show dog. Thanks everyone.

Offline SeoulCorkman

Re: Is this Bichon Puppy Okay?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »
This is the two girls there together.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
First of all I'd worry about anyone that would breed their dog when she is too young.How old is she? If she was too young it sounds to me like it was done for pure profit and with no care for the dog or the pups.I hope the Mum was looking healthy when you visited

Their noses do blacken as they get a few weeks older.You would need to know the health history to know if they will be prone to genetic problems.

If you want to have had the health tests done I would look around for a knowledgable reputable breeder in the area

They both look like cute pups,but all pups are cute.

Alison

Offline SeoulCorkman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
Thanks Alison.

Here is a picture of the mother. Bichon frise is not a common breed in Korea. The actual family were fine, very nice, good apartment, two sons and two dogs themselves, living in a small little town. All the dogs were being well looked after  from what we saw and she was able to answer any questions we had. Before we mentioned the age of the mother dog the mother of the family said to us that she had had had the pups too young which was their fault as they hadn't realised at the time and two of them had died. I think the mother dog is about a year and three months so much too young but healthy, calm and friendly.   

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
The Mum is such a sweety,if a bit colourful.

I'm so glad she's ok.Alison

Offline Terri

• Fake Pretend Sea Captain
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
The mother is gorgeous, except for those horrible colors.
The pups are adorable.:wub:

Offline SeoulCorkman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
I didn't ask about the colours in case I'd insult her.

I did see a book in a bookshop here on dog grooming that had the exact same colours so I'm presuming thats where she got the idea.

The mother is georgeous allright and so well behaved.

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
There have been some articles about colouring dogs.There's a thread on here somewhere.Doesn't look like she's bothered.She looks so happy with her pups.Alison

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
My  :fluff: :fluff: :fluff: :fluff: :fluff: are all rescues, arrived here as adults.  Seeing puppy photos is lovely!

Do you know anything about the sire?
Were the parents CERF and OFA tested?  Oh wait, they need to bee 2 years old for that, so we know the dam has not been tested for genetic defects at all.
Do the owners require you to sign a contract?  Does that state that they are responsible for vet costs for any genetic defects?  Keep in mind, these don't show up until at least 2 years of age.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Terri

• Fake Pretend Sea Captain
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
I wouldn't have asked about the colors either. :laughing:

Last thing you want to do is insult the lady who may be providing you with the fur :loveword2: of your life. :wink3: :laughing:

Offline Daisy's Mom

• Daisy and her mom Rosie!
  • ENTHUSIAST
  • Daisy Mae
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
Id take all of them in a heart beat. But Ed still says ONE!their beautiful and the mother looks beautiful and healthy!

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
Well, they look cute, of course.  The mother looks fine.  If you liked her personality it is certainly possible that your pup would be similar.  Did you see the father?  Remember half the gene pool is his.  You can ask the breeder for the name of her vet and permission to ask about any problems that the vet has seen either parent for.  That can help you decide how healthy the pups may be.  If she is willing, she can ask the vet to print out a copy of her dogs' vet records for you to read.  Don't forget to get the father's record as well.  Look for skin, eye, or ear issues.  These can be lifetime problems.  Ask the vet if he or she has listened to the pups' hearts for murmurs.  If there are none of those problems then I would probably take the chance to get one of the pups.  If you do see health problems, it would be best to wait for another litter from someone else.  Good luck to you.

Offline SeoulCorkman

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
We'll try to find out more about the father. He wasn't theirs. I think we will more than likely take the pup but some great advice on this forum as I expected. Thanks everyone.

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
Make sure you come back and share LOTS of photos with us once she is home!   :nodding:
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline princess

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »
Ohhh a bichon puppy - is there anything on this earth as wonderful  :inlove:

good luck with your new babe - Bichons are an incredible breed and you are in for some wonderful times  :thumbup:

Regarding the black nose  :thinking: Rogue (Cavalier) was left behind after all her siblings were sold because she had areas of no pigment on her nose  :cry:  whereas Princess (Bichon) had the blackest nose you can imagine. Five years on and Princess now has a pinkybrown winter-nose whereas Rogue has a lovely black nose with only one spot of pink in it  - go figure  :whistling:

I think you should trust your instinct and if you are drawn to one puppy over the other then thats the one for you  :thumbsup:

Offline jmeechin

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
They are all sooooooo cute.   Jane :usflag: