Author Topic: Shopping for a Bichon pup.  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Bokala

Shopping for a Bichon pup.
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »
Hi, I'm looking to adopt a puppy in February or March. We have 2 other Bichons and my daughter has two so I'm pretty well versed on the breed. The following are the things I'm looking for:

Pet quality, but AKC registered, female puppy, as young as possible
Parents can be no bigger than 9 lbs.
Driving distance to Western North Carolina, do not want her shipped
No puppy mill puppies!
Minor apricot spots okay, no tear stains on parents
Black nose and paws
Parents must be available for viewing.

Rawfed

Re: Shopping for a Bichon pup.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:55:44 AM »
Wow you have two already and want another one... you will have a busy house, very fun though. I have 3 Bichons and love it!

:welcome: to the forum!  

I think it's hard to find a father dog (Bichon) that is no bigger than 9 lbs.  I can see the mama maybe being 9 lbs but that's small even for a female. Still, I do know of people who have such small Bichons.  I think there is something very very important missing from your list:  A good breeder who does health testing.  What to look for is a breeder who does OFA (for hips) on her breeding stock (including your potential pup's parents) plus has the patellas cleared by a professional, and has CERF's done every year.   Out of all the things you ask for, this should be top of the list.  

Offline Bokala

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:02:15 AM »
Hi Ella,
Thanks for your response. I know it will be difficult to find a small sire but that's why I'm advertising. Currently we have two females. One weighs 7 lbs and the other weighs 10. These girls are easy on the back so we want another this size. As far as the health screening, I started to put that in and decided I would address it further down the line. I am going to add it now that you brought it up. Thanks again.

Rawfed

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:59 AM »
Oh wow you have a 7 lb Bichon.  She must look so tiny!! I know what you mean about easy on the back. I have a puppy right now who is almost 8 lbs and that is very light. But she will probably be like her mom and dad between 12-14 lbs when she's an adult. 

It's always nice to have a new member on Bichon.ca. Please introduce yourself and your bichons and show us photos if you can in the meet and greet section. We love love love pics!

:welcomebichon: :welcomebichon: :welcomebichon:

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »
I don't think we have any bichon frise as small as 7lbs in NZ. They are not breeding them that small any more. Even the Maltese are bigger than they used to be. The average weight here is about 12-14lbs.

Carolyn

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
 :welcome: to the group.We'd love to hear more about you and your Bichons if you'd like to post in the Meet and Greet section.

Alison

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »
Hi there!

My pups are all rescues.  Willy is a whopping 21 pounds!  So I do understand the weight issue, he heee.

Good luck!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Princess Lucy Loulou

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
Good Luck finding your new  :pacifier:  :fluff:

Offline Raewync (Rae)

• Super G.O.D.
  • Livin the life of Riley
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:03 PM »
Good luck, lucky you have a list, because at least you won't waste time looking at pups not up to your standards, I would be hopeless, I just fall in love no matter the size.  Riley is 8.35kg as of today, (he lost some weight yah) but I think that is something along the lines of 17-18lb, he is still to standard and not too tall just really muscley.  He has some apricot spots on his back that he did not have as a pup.  He used to have tear stains, but they touch wood have not appeared for a while now since changing him to rain water.... BUT I would not swap him for the world and like Carolyn said, I don't think we get them that small in our country.  I know Riley's breeder kept Riley's brother from the litter to breed from and then sold him at 12 months as he was too small....Riley turned out the big boy lol.  WOuld love to see your other two bichons

Another Terri creation

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Chich is just like Riley so muscley and solid but you can still easily feel her ribs. She is a really strong girl and has massive chest musles! Like a mini staffy in the chest.

Carolyn

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »
Hi, my name is MaryEllen.  I live in Massachusetts.  Welcome to the forum.  That size is more difficult to find.  My girls are sisters, two years apart.  Sassy is 9.5 pounds and Mattie is 10 pounds.  I researched breeders for almost 2 years to find someone breeding small and show sized bichons.  I got on a waiting list and expected to wait for up to a year and a half for a puppy.  Luckily (for me) the breeder had a five month old puppy returned to her that supposedly was "untrainable".  She ask if I wanted her (the breeder knew I intended to do quite a bit of training in agility and obedience).  So I got Mattie just a month after getting on her list.  I told her that I would like a second puppy and got on the list again. I got Sassy 2 years later.  My breeder lived in Connecticut until she retired.  I will check my records, because I think I had the name of one in N. Carolina.  If I find it, I'll P-mail you.  

Offline Bokala

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
Hi Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your letter. Your girls are exactly what I'm looking for. They have that puppy look that I love. Anyway connection you can tell me about on the east coast would be helpful. What is the "list" you refer to? Thanks for your help.

Offline Raewync (Rae)

• Super G.O.D.
  • Livin the life of Riley
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
Chich is just like Riley so muscley and solid but you can still easily feel her ribs. She is a really strong girl and has massive chest musles! Like a mini staffy in the chest.

Carolyn

I am sure they are related Carolyn, Riley has a massive chest too!

Another Terri creation

Offline jmeechin

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
Hi Mary Ellen,  I am very new to this wonderful forum.  I live in Massachusetts too.  We were considering getting a 2 year old bichon that has a luxating patella but with all the advice from the board we have decided to decline.  My bichon, Darla 14 years old, passed away on Christmas Eve.  It has been hard and everyone has been so kind and thoughtful writing to me.  I would like a small female bichon similar to yours.  Would you know the name of the breeder that I could contact.?