Author Topic: vet check when bringing puppy home?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Millie13

• Proud mummy to 3 babies and one really fluffy one!
vet check when bringing puppy home?
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
I need some opinions.  Should i make an appointment for a vet check, even if the breeders supply me with papers saying millie has had vet checks and vaccs?   the store where i bought the heartworm and flea treatment said to take her regardless before starting a course of heartworm chews.   im thinking of making one friday arv after we pick her up,  to enquire abt microchipping or do you think i should wait until 12 weeks when she is due for another vaccination and do it all then?   

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
Re: 3 more days!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:26:27 AM »
I had an examination done the very day my fluff came home with me. I wanted my vets opinion on her health.

Carolyn

kate1064

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:13 AM »
I would make appointment with vet to check her over. I've always done this within a few days of bringing them home  :original:

Princess Lucy Loulou

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:43:44 AM »
I had Lucy and Boo checked by my vet the same day I got them,  :nodding: I also got the breader to sign to say if there was a problem I could take them back for a refund if there was a problem,   :nodding: not that I could have taken them back  :noway: as I had already fallen in love with them  :wub:  and would have dealt with any problems  :nodding:

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »
You definitely need a vet appt for a wellness check.  This is routine when you get a new dog or puppy, from any source, and at any age.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
It has been my experience that the breeders contract states that you have 48 hours to have the pup checked by your vet and should there be a problem the pup could be returned with a full refund.
My sister actually had to do this with her pup as the vet found it to be very ill.  My sister paid $2500.00 for the pup and was not prepared to pay big vet bills on top of that so she returned him and continued her search for another pup.
I too have taken all my pups to the vet on day two for a wellness check.

Thank you Alison!

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • living in sunny SINGAPORE!
    • CASA BIANCA!
Re: vet check when bringing puppy home?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
:wave: Jules, as the other members have said, it's pretty routine to bring your pup to YOUR vet of choice for a wellness check-up.  When we picked up Bianca, we dropped by the vet clinic en-route home.

Offline darwinsmom (Chris)

• GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
Yes, yes, yes. Any reputable vet will tell you that. Darwin was checked 2 days after we got him. They said that was standard procedure. They were impressed with the records of vac and exams that he had from the breeder, BUT he did end up having worms. It wasn't a concern about the breeder because it was like one or two in the whole sample. They said it was common w/ puppies and probably so few it was missed in the samples the breeder had sent. I let her know so she could treat the rest (easy Rx).

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
I did ,a few days later I think.I just wanted to make sure Abby was ok.I don't think I could have taken her back ,but she did come insured.Alison

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
I had Chich chipped when she had her last booster. I was a bit late because by law we have to have puppies chipped by three months. The authorities did not send me a rebuke when they got the paperwork so I guess they allow some leeway.

Carolyn

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
I didn't take Jake for a week.....I knew he would be staying with me forever the second I picked him up......... If you are not prepared to pay huge vet bills later on, I strongly suggest you get a complete and through vet check now to rule out any heart or leg problems. Take the pup to your vet and get it checked not hers. This will not guarantee you wont have problems, but it will sure pick some up if there are any. The breeder should be encouraging you to take them.

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
I agree with everyone - get a vet check within the first day or two.  I, like everyone else would not have taken him back.  My breeder was wonderful when Noah had a UTI and crystals in his urine. If he had to have any surgery, she offered to either take him back -NOT- or to pay for the surgery.  Luckily no need for anything but antibodics.  She had all the paperwork and testing certificates that I took to the vet.  Noah was microchipped when he was neutered at 4 months.  Could have done it earlier but he was such a cry baby that we thought it would be easier for him when he was sedated. 

Offline Millie13

• Proud mummy to 3 babies and one really fluffy one!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 02:28:56 AM »
HI again everyone. thanku for your responses.  well millie is now home with us - after her brief stop at the vet.  he said shes all good and recommended i dont use the worming tablets i bought so i got something else... but said shes all good to begin puppy preschool. oh he also said she has really good teeth and mouth :)  trying to get pics onto my pc but my bluetooth isnt working. im super frustrated