Author Topic: Marks on puppy's face and now Hernia  (Read 4819 times)

Offline annie29

Marks on puppy's face and now Hernia
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:41:33 AM »
Hello there,
We are in the process of getting a Bichon puppy -- about 2 weeks to go -- from a very reputable breeder. She lives in another city so she is sending us photos of our pup. The pup seems to have reddish-brown marks in a line around her eyes and muzzle. I've read about how Bichons get red around the eyes and there are various remedies for this. Does it seem strange for such a young pup (9 weeks) to have these markings? Pups I see in photos on the Internet seem to have very clean, white faces.
Thanks for any information you can provide,
Annie McD.

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
Re: Marks on puppy's face
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
Tear staining is quite normal up to about age 6 months.  As others will advise, I am sure.
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
Abby Had nasty tear staining when she was teething,but nothing before.She gets some from time to tome so we have to work on it.Her brother gets none and her Mum's face was clear.

What are the parents like?Alison

Princess Lucy Loulou

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Lucy had bad staining when we got her,  :sad: the only time she hasnt had it was when she was diagnoised with Dry Eye  :sad: now that she is on medication for it, it has come back  :sad: but the pads Ive got her from the USA seem to be working  :thumbup:

Offline annie29

Marks on puppy's face and now Hernia
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

Our Bichon puppy is about 10 weeks old and will be coming to our home in a week. The breeder has said he has a hernia and that it can be attended to when he gets fixed at around six months. Is this anything to be concerned about? Will it be uncomfortable for the puppy before or after the operation?

Many thanks for any help you can provide!
Annie

kate1064

Re: Hernia
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:40:08 AM »
I think it would be a good idea to speak to your vet about the hernia before you get your pup. I remember my friend nearly bought a lhasa apso puppy many years ago which was born with a hernia but after speaking to her vet she decided not to go ahead  :sad:

I've never had a bichon born with a hernia but Sophie my first developed a hernia and it didnt bother her. She was a bit sore after the operation but recovered quickly  :original:

Offline Freedom (Sandie)

• Methuen, MA, USA
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Methuen, MA, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
I totally agree with what Kate said.

Chat with your vet about this!
Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma

Offline Lin

• G.O.D.
  • Snug as a bug in a rug
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »
Personally I feel your breeder is doing you wrong. I would expect it be the breeders responsibility to give you a 100% healthy pup.  You never know how serious a condition can become, especially as he grows, and yes you could probably have it fixed when the pup is neutered but I still feel it is the breeders responsibility as by that time you will be emotionally attached to this pup and you will also be taking on the extra expense.

Thank you Alison!

Offline Debbra

• ENTHUSIAST
Re: Marks on puppy's face and now Hernia
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

I have never dealt with a breeder as Max was re-homed (for lack of a better word) but I agree with Lin.  I would have thought the breeder would deal with this issue rather than passing the expense on to you.  Definitely talk to the breeder and a vet before anything is finalized.

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • living in sunny SINGAPORE!
    • CASA BIANCA!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »
:wave: Annie, I took the liberty of merging your new question/thread with your first question/thread.  Hope you had read the "tear-stain" replies from our members.

I assume it's an umbilical hernia - and I hear it's pretty common.  That said, I don't mean you should accept it as such.  I agree :nodding: with Lin because I feel the onus is on the breeder - once they've decided they want to breed for the betterment of the breed.  Unless of course you are talking about profit-motivated "professional" breeders or backyard breeders (who don't know better) - then I don't expect them to have any sense of responsibility.  

Here is a very comprehensive article :see: on peteducation.com about hernias.  You will note that this condition is inherited :sick:.  Ask your breeder how many times "your pup's" fur-parents have been bred?  Whether any other of his/her breeding stock have this condition :sick:.  And whether they have certificates from OFA & CERF, ie. checked for (& more importantly clear/free from) orthopedic conditions like hip dysplasia & luxating patellas :crutches: (both hereditary conditions) and eye conditions like cataracts :cyclop: (commonly inherited).  The way he/she answers (tone of voice etc) should give you an idea whether you can trust him/her.

We've had a member or two whose Bichons had their hernias fixed/corrected during a spay or neuter surgery.  So yes, it can be operated on.  Whether you want to purchase this puppy (or any others) from this breeder is your decision to make. Do keep us posted. :original:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:02:27 PM by EDDEL »

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Abby's brother had an inguinal ( groin ) hernia and that was fixed by the breeder ,via a vet of course,before he was homed to my Mother in Law at 9 weeks.There was no extra charge for the surgey and the stitches were out before he was allowed home.He later had an undescended testicle that was fixed when he was neutered at 6 months.Tommy is fine now and it never bothered him again.Alison

Offline annie29

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for your information. We don't have a vet yet, but I will select one before our pup comes home and call him/her as soon as possible.

Offline BB56 (Donna)

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
Bella has an umbilical hernia which we have had checked--our vet said hers is completely harmless so we let it be and didn't operate. It is also small (they could have fixed it when she was spayed but since it was only cosmetic we didn't).  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:33:57 PM by BB56 (Donna) »

Thanks Alison!

Offline chichsmum

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 03:25:28 AM »
You should NOT be paying full price for a puppy with a hernia. Cost the surgery and get it deducted.
I would not take a puppy with a hernia without talking to your vet first and costing the surgery. I don't know of any breeder here who has sold a pup with a hernia.

Carolyn

Offline Millie13

• Proud mummy to 3 babies and one really fluffy one!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »
:( my baby son (human) had an umbilical hernia. it was pretty nasty because the nurse cut his cord too short.  the doctors told us that he would need surgery to correct it when around age 3. he is 1 now and it has gone away/healed up.   the only thing that is different now visibly is he has an outtie belly button and not an innie :)   anyway, i'd definately research by phoning the vet first.