Author Topic: Getting a new boy from same breeder?  (Read 14062 times)

Offline arwen

• NOVICE
Getting a new boy from same breeder?
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Hi, I am Drako's mom I recently lost my baby last January. Me and hubby treated him as the baby of the family and now that he is not around, our house is too quiet and we feel so lonely. We finally decided to get another boy, not to replace our Drako, he will be forever in our hearts but to somewhat have another baby fluff to fill the void that he left behind.

We contacted same breeder we got Drako from and she has a litter last week of February but I was told that they were born a week early. Have anybody ever have the same experience adopting a premature baby?

She showed us their pictures of the litter with the mom at 1 week old and they seem so healthy. I never met our breeder personally she shipped Drako to us when we got him and he is CKC registered and check by his vet before he travelled. I am not 100% sure if his kidney deasease is genetic but since he died very young, our vet think its a big possibility that it is genetic that is why we wanted to get a puppy from different parents from our breeder.

I just wanted your opinions is it right to get a puppy this soon after we just lost Drako? Sometimes I feel guilty thinking of getting a puppy and we just recently lose him. Also, is it wise to be getting another puppy from the same breeder?

Appreciate your feedbacks

Offline barofgold (Paula)

• Paula, owned by Louis and Coco in the UK
  • ENTHUSIAST
Re: Getting a new boy from same breeder?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:50:32 AM »
I know you will get many more 'educated' answers from others, but, my gut feeling would be to err on the side of caution.

Firstly you should ask the breeder if this has happened in any others that she has bred?  I must admit to never having heard of a litter coming early but I guess as with humans, that dog dates can vary too  :thinking:

Most reputable breeders will answer questions honestly, after all they (should) quiz you before selling you a puppy so questions from your side should be answered too.

I wish you luck  :muack:  and can only imagine how empty you are feeling without your Drako, these  :fluff: 's fill our homes and our hearts don't they?

Thank you Del :)

kate1064

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »
If you feel you are ready to get another bichon then i would say go for it.
When i lost Sophie my house felt so empty and Lucy was lost without her. Within 3months i got Bo-there were very few girl bichon pups in Scotland at the time. She will never replace Sophie, but i can honestly say she brought so much joy to the house as she is a  :clown: It was a shock to the system having a pup again after almost 10years and i cant say she is totally house trained yet at night now she is almost one, she climbs onto the breakfast bar and pinches anything you might leave lying there  :rolledeyes2: but i dont regret getting her at all. She loves attention and gives big kisses to everyone who lets her on their knee  :tongue2:

My fluffs have all been bought from different people who bred their pets so i didnt know if they may have any genetic illnesses.
I'm sure Drako would want you to be happy  :original:

Offline Andrea

• G.O.D.
  • Noah
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »
So glad that you want to have another  :fluff: but I would definitely find another breeder.  With your Drako dieing so young and now with thiis litter being born a week early, I would be very apprehensive of buying another  :fluff: from her.  I know that someone will post the link for you to find good breeders close to your area.  I would recommend traveling to see the mother and dad and meeting the breeder.  Just my humble opinion.  Good luck in your search for the right  :fluff: .  I could not imagine my life without my precious boy, Noah.

Offline MattiesMom (MaryEllen)

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
Before I would purchase from this breeder again, I would want to have a conversation with her vet!  List all of your questions concerning hereditary problems and this litter that was born early.  I would suspect that maybe it was not so much of a premature litter, but maybe the mating occurred without her knowledge, a week earlier.  If that is the case, any of her studs could be the sire.  So question the vet.  If this is not possible, I'd find another breeder.  Sorry about your baby boy!  Best wishes, MaryEllen

Offline Cheryl

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
I agree with the others that have told you to be cautious or even not purchase another bichon from the same breeder.

Something doesn't sound right about the premature litter, Maryellen may be on the right track, in which case you could possibly get a pup with the same genetics as your last one. 

I think if I were you, I would find another breeder.     

Having said all that, if you feel you are ready for another  :fluff: :pacifier: go for it.   You can never replace the  sweet boy that you lost, but you have his memories, and  a new  :fluff: can fill the hole in your heart. :heart:

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide :hug:

Thanks Terri, we love it!

Princess Lucy Loulou

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
I agree with the other's,  :nodding: they have given you ome very good advice,  :thumbup: just want to wish you Luck with getting a new  :fluff:  :thumbup:

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
You've no need to feel guilty .You loved Drackop and thats what makes you want another.Personally I'd go to a different breeder and one I could visit myself.Unless its been a reoccuring  problem I doubt it would happen again,but I'd feel safer being sure.
Please let us know what you decide and I hope you find another little friend very soon.Alison

Offline arwen

• NOVICE
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
Thank you all for the sound advise. I am still grieving for my Drako. But, I feel that having a new boy will help with the emptiness i feel. And, yes, I did think of looking for another breeder, but since I live in the Northwest Territories, Canada it is so hard for me to find a breeder close by. I search at Edmonton but most of them were back yard breeders and I didnt feel comfy getting one from their litters. I thought if a breeder provides a CKC registered puppies should be okay?

Anybody know of a reputable breeder close to NWT?  Edmonton is about 10-12 hours drive from here. But I am willing to go that far. By the way, I just learned that Mike already paid a $ 200.00deposit on puppy from our breeder, but, I don't mind losing that as long as i can get a healthier pup.

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
I may know one.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can!  MaryEllen

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
Its hard when there aren't breeders near you.I know here KC registration doesn't mean healthy pups as its not hard to get them registered.That might be different with you.

If you are happy with the breeder and there are different bloodlines then I'm sure you'll be fine.Even if it was a congenital problem it doesn't mean it would be passed on to other pups.Maybe you could ask the breeder about the blood lines? If they are a good one I'm sure they'll bend over backwards to help you and make you feel comfortable.Abby has had to have surgery for luxating pattella's,which is possibly genetic.Research is being done to decide.Her brother has been fine and so was her Mum.Alison

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »
I know Canada is a BIG place.  Is this one anywhere near you?

http://www.breeders-showcase.net/heavensbichons/

Offline Alison

• Super G.O.D.
  • Abby ( South Wales )
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
There are stunning pics on there MaryEllen.Alison

• SassySue and MattieMay
  • GURU
  • SassySue and MattieMay
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »
Bev is a facebook friend of mine.  She posts pics of her new litters and lots of great shots of her fluffs.  She is a breeder I would look at for a fluff in that part of the world.
She also shows and seems to be devoted to insuring that the breed is pure and maintains good physical condition.  I love her pics too!  Look at these!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bevbusse/sets/72157623450213619/
MaryEllen

Lizzie

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 12:31:14 AM »
If it was Polycystic kidneys that Drako had I would seriously question going back to the same breeder.  Litters don't normally come a week early.  A couple of days either way of their due date - yes.  A week - no.  They can of course come a week late.  Another thing is - you would have to see the papers on this litter.  I would bet that they would be linked in some way.

Go with your gut feeling - take time to find your  :fluff: and go to another breeder.   Do not let your heart rule your head at this point.   You are still grieving for little Drako and therefore vulnerable at this time.  :bouquet: