Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
November 18, 2019, 01:44:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTIONS TO ASK the Bichon breeder  (Read 8385 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: April 27, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »

I said before blush I would start a thread with the list of questons see that members ~ looking to buy a Bichon pup  ~ should ask of their breeder, but never got round to it. blush2

I do not profess blush to be an expert, nor am I saying that members who didn't ask the following questions see when acquiring their Bichons are bad mommies or were wrong.

Many of us (myself included blush) wouldn't change a thing in the past, because our fluffs ~ to each & every one of us ~ are the ones meant for us .  But going forward, I know all of us wanna nodding do the best by our future fluffs, and that includes NOT supporting noway puppymills Jail Bird 2 and backyard breeders Sneaky, as well as helping would-be Bichon mommies in their search of a Bichon Frise pup Pacifier.   As lovers, guardians, & fanciers of the breed, I feel we can all do our part rock, however small it might be.

Members who join our forum meeting, thinking of getting a Bichon, are lucky in that they can tap our members' experience graduate, and learn of the atrocities of puppymills Jail Bird 2 (which many of us didn't even know about until AFTER we got our Bichons / joined this forum).  These soon-to-be Bichon owners are so lucky in that they get to start out right thumbsup in their Bichon-motherhood .

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

QUESTIONS TO ASK THE BICHON BREEDER
(collated from DOG FANCY Magazines, March 2009 issue & May 2005 issue which featured the Bichon Frise;
as well as from DOG FANCY Magazine - Popular Dog Series - Bichon Frise issue)

• Do you test for eye problems cyclop like cataract and glaucoma?  Can I see the parents' and grandparents' clearances see from the Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) to show they are clear of eye problems?

• Do you test the parents of your litters for luxuating patellas crutches (ie. slipping kneecaps) or any other orthopedic problems?  Can I see the parents' and grandparents' certificates see from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) to show they do not have hip displasia?

• Does either parent have a history of allergies scared ?

• Has either parent experienced kidney/bladder stones  plaster ?

• Do you test for heart & thyroid problems sick ?  Are the parents registered with the Canine Health Information Center database?

• How many generations groovyX3 of Bichons do you have living in your home, and can I meet them?

• Do you have a pedigree see showing the ancestors?  How is the general health of the parents, grandparents and great grandparents?  (were they long-lived?)

• What are their temperaments original like, and have they been raised around children?  What are you doing to socialize gathering the puppies Pacifier ?

• Are you already starting to house-train graduate the puppies Pacifier ?  What can I do to effectively house-train my Bichon?

• Can you tell me about the different personalities of the puppies in the litter?  Can you help me choose a puppy Pacifier with a personality that matches my lifestyle?

• What vaccines injection has the puppy Pacifier had and who gave them?  Will I be given a record see of these shots?  How many times has the puppy been checked by the veterinarian ?

A responsible breeder thumbsup will ask you a number of questions question, too, such as:  Why do you want a Bichon?  Are you committed to lifelong care?  Is the puppy Pacifier going to be alone alot?  Do you have children?  How many and how old?  Other pets?  A reputable breeder thumbsup is concerned where he/she places pups Pacifier, and screens potential families carefully.

Beware sweatdrop of the breeder who is too eager to sell (eg: willing to ship you the pup Pacifier so long as you've paid a deposit to reserve the pup, and then paid the balance).

Hope this helps! flowers

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

Your a peach Del.....thanks for doing this for all of us bouquet

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »

blush2 Thanks Annie (I do these threads not for thanks/recognition) blush2.

BichonGodsGift

Fuzzy Fuller 6 month old

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

EDDEL

I have to tell you I came to this board after purchasing a Bichon. I was lucky as I have family that breeds Dobermans and am very aware of the genetic test that breeds should have before whelping a litter so I did my research to find out what the proper genetic test standards are for the Bichon. Had I been a member of this board I would have had all my work done for me by you.

I think it is wonderful of you to post this as not everyone is aware of CERF and OFA on hips and patellar certifications.

I would like to add one other thing that I did when looking for a Bichon I goggled the breeders name to what news articles or post from other people that have purchased from them had to say. It was amazing how many puppy mills that appear to be legit breeders I found. I found that almost every one I looked at that clamed to be home raised with children were as far from home raised as could be.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: