Author Topic: QUESTIONS TO ASK the Bichon breeder  (Read 8662 times)

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • living in sunny SINGAPORE!
    • CASA BIANCA!
QUESTIONS TO ASK the Bichon breeder
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
I said before :blush: I would start a thread with the list of questons :see: that members ~ looking to buy a Bichon pup  ~ should ask of their breeder, but never got round to it. :blush2:

I do not profess :blush: to be an expert, nor am I saying that members who didn't ask the following questions :see: when acquiring their Bichons are bad mommies or were wrong.

Many of us (myself included :blush:) wouldn't change a thing in the past, because our fluffs ~ to each & every one of us ~ are the ones meant for us .  But going forward, I know all of us wanna :nodding: do the best by our future fluffs, and that includes NOT supporting :noway: puppymills :jailbird2: and backyard breeders :sneaky:, as well as helping would-be Bichon mommies in their search of a Bichon Frise pup :pacifier:.   As lovers, guardians, & fanciers of the breed, I feel we can all do our part :rock:, however small it might be.

Members who join our forum :meeting:, thinking of getting a Bichon, are lucky in that they can tap our members' experience :graduate:, and learn of the atrocities of puppymills :jailbird2: (which many of us didn't even know about until AFTER we got our Bichons / joined this forum).  These soon-to-be Bichon owners are so lucky in that they get to start out right :thumbsup: in their Bichon-motherhood .

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
    • CASA BIANCA!
Re: QUESTIONS TO ASK the Bichon breeder
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »
QUESTIONS TO ASK THE BICHON BREEDER
(collated from DOG FANCY Magazines, March 2009 issue & May 2005 issue which featured the Bichon Frise;
as well as from DOG FANCY Magazine - Popular Dog Series - Bichon Frise issue)

• Do you test for eye problems :cyclop: like cataract and glaucoma?  Can I see the parents' and grandparents' clearances :see: from the Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) to show they are clear of eye problems?

• Do you test the parents of your litters for luxuating patellas :crutches: (ie. slipping kneecaps) or any other orthopedic problems?  Can I see the parents' and grandparents' certificates :see: from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) to show they do not have hip displasia?

• Does either parent have a history of allergies :scared: ?

• Has either parent experienced kidney/bladder stones  :plaster: ?

• Do you test for heart & thyroid problems :sick: ?  Are the parents registered with the Canine Health Information Center database?

• How many generations :groovyX3: of Bichons do you have living in your home, and can I meet them?

• Do you have a pedigree :see: showing the ancestors?  How is the general health of the parents, grandparents and great grandparents?  (were they long-lived?)

• What are their temperaments :original: like, and have they been raised around children?  What are you doing to socialize :gathering: the puppies :pacifier: ?

• Are you already starting to house-train :graduate: the puppies :pacifier: ?  What can I do to effectively house-train my Bichon?

• Can you tell me about the different personalities of the puppies in the litter?  Can you help me choose a puppy :pacifier: with a personality that matches my lifestyle?

• What vaccines :injection: has the puppy :pacifier: had and who gave them?  Will I be given a record :see: of these shots?  How many times has the puppy been checked by the veterinarian ?

A responsible breeder :thumbsup: will ask you a number of questions :question:, too, such as:  Why do you want a Bichon?  Are you committed to lifelong care?  Is the puppy :pacifier: going to be alone alot?  Do you have children?  How many and how old?  Other pets?  A reputable breeder :thumbsup: is concerned where he/she places pups :pacifier:, and screens potential families carefully.

Beware :sweatdrop: of the breeder who is too eager to sell (eg: willing to ship you the pup :pacifier: so long as you've paid a deposit to reserve the pup, and then paid the balance).

Hope this helps! :flowers:

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
Your a peach Del.....thanks for doing this for all of us :bouquet:

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
    • CASA BIANCA!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
:blush2: :thanks: Annie (I do these threads not for thanks/recognition) :blush2:.

Offline BichonGodsGift

• Fuzzy Fuller 6 month old
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
EDDEL

I have to tell you I came to this board after purchasing a Bichon. I was lucky as I have family that breeds Dobermans and am very aware of the genetic test that breeds should have before whelping a litter so I did my research to find out what the proper genetic test standards are for the Bichon. Had I been a member of this board I would have had all my work done for me by you.

I think it is wonderful of you to post this as not everyone is aware of CERF and OFA on hips and patellar certifications.

I would like to add one other thing that I did when looking for a Bichon I goggled the breeders name to what news articles or post from other people that have purchased from them had to say. It was amazing how many puppy mills that appear to be legit breeders I found. I found that almost every one I looked at that clamed to be home raised with children were as far from home raised as could be.