Author Topic: A Brief BREED PROFILE of the Bichon Frise!  (Read 12918 times)

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • living in sunny SINGAPORE!
    • CASA BIANCA!
A Brief BREED PROFILE of the Bichon Frise!
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »
Each time, DOG FANCY :book: features a breed in their magazine, they do a brief BREED PROFILE :see:.  And as most of you know, the March 2009 issue had our beloved breed on the cover! :clap:

I'm copying hereunder, the brief BREED PROFILE :see: from said issue of Dog Fancy magazine.  This thread (and the new board :meeting:) is geared towards helping would-be and first-time Bichon :fluff: owners.

BICHON FRISE :fluff: BREED PROFILE

Country of origin
  • Probably in or around Italy

Original use
  • Companions; later circus performers

Group
  • Non-sporting group (AKC); Companion (UKC)

Life span
  • 12 to 15 years

Color
  • White

Coat
  • Soft, dense undercoat; coarser curly outercoat

Grooming
  • Professional grooming every four to six weeks
    Brush & comb three times weekly
    Brush teeth at least weekly

Height
  • 9½ to 11½ inches

Weight
  • 10 to 16 pounds

Personality
  • Cheerful, playful, affectionate, adaptable

Trainability
  • High, although house-training can be challenging

Activity level
  • High as puppies; adaptable to owners as adults

Known health problems
  • Luxating patellas (slipping kneecaps)
    Bladder infections and stones
    Skin allergies
    Cataracts
    Gingivitis

Good with children
  • Yes

Good with other pets
  • Yes

National Breed Club
  • Bichon Frise Club of America (BFCA)
    www.bichon.org   413-663-7109
    Karen Chesbro, corresponding secretary, kcbichon@verizon.net

Rescue Organizations

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
    • CASA BIANCA!
Re: A Brief BREED PROFILE of the Bichon Frise!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:38 AM »
To turn this into an informational thread :graduate: for would-be and first-time owners....

Members :meeting:, please feel free to add your input about the breed in general... like their temperatment :daisy: (from your perspective & experience with your Bichon), their trainability :trampoline: (if your Bichon has done obedience/agility trials).  Just short, quick bites of information :graduate: that will help those who are thinking of getting a Bichon, or who are new to the breed. :thumbsup:

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
    • CASA BIANCA!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:02 AM »
I will start by saying that the May 2005 issue of DOG FANCY had a more accurate description :nodding: of our breed's Country of Origin.

Quote from: DOG FANCY magazine, May 2005 issue
France is often cited, although the breed's wider-flung roots are in the Mediterranean, including the Canary Islands.

France is often cited because the Societe Centrale de France was the first to adopt an official breed standard :see: in 1933.

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »
great idea Del :goodjob:

Grooming is a absolute must everyday.....they need to learn as puppies how to be brushed and how to behave while being brushed out. This takes time....Jake still(one and a half) does not like to be brushed, but has learned it is going to happen anyway. When the adult coat start coming in, grooming is more important than ever, for they will matt very easily.

Offline Carol

• Keep Smiling :)
  • G.O.D.
  • Angels without wings are called Friends.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »
Awesome, Del!! Looking forward to taking a few minutes to read through this. It looks like there's a lot of great information, even for us "oldies".

Offline Terri

• Fake Pretend Sea Captain
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »
What would we do without you Del? You're our information "go to" gal. :laughing:
I don't think I'd have made it three years with Belle is it weren't for you and your informative and very knowledgeable posts.
Thank you dahlink :embrace:

Offline EDDEL

• Bichon Besotted Mom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
    • CASA BIANCA!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
:embrace: right back atcha Cap'n! :laughing:  All I did was just copy-and-paste :whistling:.  I know most of us already know :nodding: about the breed, but for soon-to-be or first-time Bichon owners, this (thread) would be helpful I reckon :blush:.

:thanks: Carol.  And Annie, I :loveword: your concise input! :thumbsup: 

Offline SuperMax (Susan)

• Washington, USA
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Buddy & My Angel Max
    • My Max & Buddy Picture Board..
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
:thumbsup: Great job, Del! :bouquet:

It also reminded me :doh: that I need to go buy that magazine!! :swing:

Offline pam

• ENTHUSIAST
  • bichons rule
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
Can I add stubborn on an information thread?  I heard it expressed politely -as not like a lab - more stubborn!
Pam

Offline princess

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Bichons do not like to be left alone. Although this is mentioned on every site I looked at before we got Princess, nothing can quite prepare you for the fact that Bichons really dont like been left behind/alone/not with you. 

Offline SuperMax (Susan)

• Washington, USA
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Buddy & My Angel Max
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »
Bichons do not like to be left alone. Although this is mentioned on every site I looked at before we got Princess, nothing can quite prepare you for the fact that Bichons really dont like been left behind/alone/not with you. 

I always wondered if that is very specific to the breed :thinking: ... I know it is mentioned alot in books... but never having personal experience owning any other breed as an adult... I always assumed MOST breeds would prefer to be not alone/with their owners :shrug: .. for those of you that had/have other breeds.. is it that much more apparent with the Bichon? :unsure:  Like if you have a Bichon and a Cavaliar (or poodle, etc) .. when you leave... is your Bichon all  :scared: upset.. but the Cavy just sits there all :yawn: calm? :thinking:

Offline princess

• ENTHUSIAST
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
  is it that much more apparent with the Bichon? :unsure:  Like if you have a Bichon and a Cavaliar (or poodle, etc) .. when you leave... is your Bichon all  :scared: upset.. but the Cavy just sits there all :yawn: calm? :thinking:

That about sums it up  :rolledeyes2:  except Princess doesnt get upset as such - she just gives me "the look" and follows me around  :eyebrows: 

We went to London last week for a few days and my sister took them both. She was amazed at how quickly she had a shadow  :fluff:

but boy o boy did I pay for my absence  :nodding: I have been on the receiving end of a Very Cold Shoulder for the last week (albeit still stuck to me in case I may leave again  :eyebrows: ) meanwhile Rogue is "whos feeding me today????"

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
Jake is the clingiest dog I have ever known :boy: He never wants to be apart from me.....not even if I go potty.....go smoke.....go to the kitchen......go to the bedroom.....the only time he doesn't mind being apart is when he has to go do his buisness outside.....then he don't mind it......he really don't mind if he sees a bird :LOL: I have Labs and they don't really like being left alone but are nowhere near as clingy....unless you count Buddy........he is worse than Jake :LOL: but only about his BOY.....Jake is that way with Gary too.... I honestly don't think any pet likes to be left, but some are just better at handling it than others......Rosie used to act like she was chasing the squirells and birds away when we got home.....the neighbors told us, she just lays in the yard all day and sleeps til you get home.....LABS :LOL:

Offline SuperMax (Susan)

• Washington, USA
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Buddy & My Angel Max
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »
That is interesting about Princess and Jake compared to your other breeds. :blush: .... I laughed about the "following you wherever you go" :laughing: ... it drives my husband and son crazy (with jealousy :eyebrows: ) that if they are cuddling with da boys :clown: :manfro: and I get up to leave the room they HAVE to follow me! :vain: ... my husband has always joked that Max thinks I'm his "b*t*h"! :laughing:

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »
:hysterical: I get that here too :hysterical: I think he is just jealous :nodding: :laughing:

Offline SuperMax (Susan)

• Washington, USA
  • Global Moderator
  • Super G.O.D.
  • Buddy & My Angel Max
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »
:hysterical: I get that here too :hysterical: I think he is just jealous :nodding: :laughing:

:laughing: I think so too :laughing: ... :thinking: either that..  :thinking: or he enjoys being able to call me a "b*t*h" and get away with it! :glare: :hysterical:

Offline Annie36

• G.O.D.
  • Mommy's little boy
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
:hysterical: I think that too....he knows he would be in BIG trouble otherwise :hysterical:

Offline LunasMum (Traci)

• EXPERT
  • Little Luna Lovegood
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
I have the same thing with both Luna and Pippin (maybe it's cause he is a cousin breed). If Julienne has coaxed them into sitting with her and I move at all, they are both up and at my feet to see what I might do. Julienne gets mad everytime.

So I'd say they are a bit clingy... and also they talk about grooming, and it's not just the brushing. They are white after all and if you want that puffy look, it takes time. Both  :fluff:  :fluff: kids were extremly grungy today. I set aside three hours to get them looking like they should. Very time consuming.

And although the books say exercise requirements are small (compared to other breeds) mine aren't as happy if they don't get their daily walk, the more the better. They have lots of energy.

Offline Molly_Baba

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
Hey i'm new to this. I just got a bichon for my 18th birthday and my 12 year old brother also got one. there amazing little dogs. Lucky is my brothers dog and he is so adventerus but Milo my little man he is always up for a snuggle. Love them to bits.