Bichon Frise Community
October 21, 2014, 03:59:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warts  (Read 8073 times)
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« on: March 25, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

I have read somewhere, I think, that bichons are prone to warts.  Titch has had one for a while on her back towards her tail.  I have just left it.  Now I have found one on Pepe.  I have done a search and there doesn't seem to much info ont he forum about this - anyone any thoughts or information?  Is it something that bichons are prone to as they get older?
Pam

bluebell
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

I don't know if bichons are more prone to warts than other breeds  (I am no vet) but most older dogs seem to have some. Cocker spaniels are a breed that I definitely think of when I hear warts. If it is indeed a wart and is not causing any problems (like catching on things and bleeding) then I wouldn't worry about it.
Cheryl
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:19:55 PM »

I agree with Danielle,   Ace, our 12 year old lab, has a couple,  the vet said, "it's just age" sorry1

Thanks Terri, we love it!
bichoncrazy
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

The two elderly bichons I fostered had warts and the vet looked at them and said they looked ok and that it was normal with age.

Kay

Bella
ENTHUSIAST

Love is a Bichon Frise :)

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »

That's something new, I've never heard of fluffs having warts. I hope it's nothing serious

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »

Yup, they get them as they age.   I can't tell the difference between a wart, a cyst and . . . aw geepers I forget the third type of thing.  Anyway just watch it and as long as it isn't growing fast it is OK.  They do sometimes get caught on a brush and bleed.  Just clean them up, it will scab over and heal away.  After a day or so, you can cut the fur out if any got stained (I wait with the cutting as the longer fur soaks up any bleeding, so in the end I am cutting off in a smaller area.) 

Sugar has had a few, Ozzy has a LOT.  He has 3 on his face, poor boy.

If you are in the vet for something else, be sure to have each one checked.  Other than that, no need to make a special trip just for those. 

Again, if something starts growing FAST, get the pupper in to the vet for an assessment.  Sugar has one that did nothing for 6 months and then in 3 days got HUGE.  Had to have anesthesia and surgery, it was a benign trichoblastoma (thank goodness).  But all that time it was doing nothing on the surface, it was growing underneath.  Went quite close to the carotid artery, and she had a huge line of 27 stitches!

Thank you, Alison
SusieL
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

thinking  I don't know about warts but Oliver has a little hard bump on his back - when the vet looked at it she said it was a sebaceous cyst and not really to worry about.  She said sometimes you can kind of pop them like a pimple and suggested that when he comes in to have his teeth cleaned she lance it just to make sure it is nothing serious but the chances of that are 99% against.  Are you sure it is a wart?? because that should be easy to treat - it seems to me there are now topical things you can put on them. 

Anyway, since I worry about every single little thing with Oliver I am going to have her open it up to be sure.  He is going to have a minor teeth cleaning - no anesthetic - next month.  No question, since I have had him I have spent more on his health care than my own!!!!

Susie and her  fluff   loveword2:  Oliver

stephll
Massachusetts, USA
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »

Pumpkin angel , had cysts.  We were always told by the vet that there was nothing that needed to be done to them except for us to keep our eyes pealed for changes.  She had only a few little ones in her younger years and as she grew into an older lady they were larger and more of them.  At each vet appointment, he'd check them all, make sure that everything looked okay and send us on our way. 

If they ever bothered her, he would have removed them...but as long as they weren't disturbing her, he said it was better that we left them alone. original

Thank You, Danielle!

Stephanie, Pekoe, Jasmine and Pumpkin at Rainbow Bridge
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »

Thank you all - fortunately neither dog is bothered by them so we will just leave well alone at the moment.  It is very different from the lump we had removed from Poppy's head which, thankfully benign, did grow.
Pam

Sherry M.
G.O.D.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »

Warts, yuck.

I hope I never have to deal with those, or cysts.

As a kid I had warts and I absolutely hate them.  vomit

Thanks Del.
lainey
G.O.D.

Miss Mitsy

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »

Love word Bichon.ca  graduate  I just learn so much  Thank You for all the info

When I was wee I was told to cut a tattie in half rub one half on your wart and bury the other half in the garden in the moonlight. I never had a wart and always wondered if it worked  thinking

Lainey & Mitsy  flowers

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

Forgive me lainey - but I am not going to try it fluffthankyou
Pam

lainey
G.O.D.

Miss Mitsy

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

sad

stephll
Massachusetts, USA
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »

Love word Bichon.ca  graduate  I just learn so much  Thank You for all the info

When I was wee I was told to cut a tattie in half rub one half on your wart and bury the other half in the garden in the moonlight. I never had a wart and always wondered if it worked  thinking

Lainey & Mitsy  flowers

What's a tattie? thinking

Thank You, Danielle!

Stephanie, Pekoe, Jasmine and Pumpkin at Rainbow Bridge
Carol
Keep Smiling :)
G.O.D.

Angels without wings are called Friends.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »

I think it's a potato?  Sneaky I have heard the same thing, that if you put 1/2 potato on a wart and bury the other half, it will cure the wart. I've never had one, so Lainey, you may be on to something!! Laughing You should give it a try, Pam - couldn't hurt!!  Laughing

Cheryl
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

Pam

sad

Laugh Hysterical

Thanks Terri, we love it!
bluebell
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Carol...I thought "tattie" was the wart! lmao
Carol
Keep Smiling :)
G.O.D.

Angels without wings are called Friends.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »

Pam
That may explain Pam's post, Danielle!  Laugh Hysterical  Ugh. I wouldn't rub half a wart on anything either!!

lainey
G.O.D.

Miss Mitsy

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 05:18:48 AM »

ashamed      I should translate, a tattie is a potato    sorry1

We have tatties with our tea at night or sometimes perhaps a baked tattie, sometimes we have them sliced but then they are "stovies" or mashed with turnip and called "clampit" .........that is a whole new thread ......................... it's so exciting being Scottish  blush

Pam will know that I think,   it isn't just Scottish, or perhaps it is......................  thinking

Lainey & Mitsy  flowers

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »

Laugh Hysterical Laugh Hysterical I did understand - never occurred to me that anyone wouldn't.  So first catch the dog and sit it quietly on knee.  Part the fur and find the wart - remember that you haven't got potato - get up, go to kitchen etc.
I do think giving it a miss is probably best.
Pam
PS wonders idly what effect the starch would have on the fur.  Do you think it would stand up?

SusieL
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

Doh  Thanks Lainey for letting us know about "tatties".  Part of the fun here for me is learning about other countries/cultures.  I just love it. 

Susie and Ollie

OscarLee

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »

Hi there, Our little Oscar is what the vet jokingly calls a "Wart Factory"! He has so many all over his body. He's a full Bichon, and the doctor said it's just age and lots of dogs get them. Our problem is that Oscar scratches them, then they bleed. They can scratch them right off, which is what he did last week. The doctor gave us hydrogin peroxide and a medicated talc, which dries the flesh up to heal. But the little devil wants to scratch and then it bleeds again. He recommended trying a t-shirt to keep him from re-opening the wound, but Oscar scratches right thru the t-shirt. It's very hot and humid here now, so hate the thought of putting a sweater on him. Any suggestions? I thought of maybe a boot, but he won't keep them on. And when we do get a boot on, he refuses to walk and just sits very stubborn with those big eyes looking at me. Oh the joys of being a mommy! Any suggestions are helpful, and if your little one gets big warts, have them removed! Brian-Toronto
pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »

Just sympathy I am afraid - fortunately neither of mine are bothered too much and they can't get at them to scratch.  Poor Oscar
Pam

OscarLee

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »

Thanks Pam!
The little monkey has been wearing his t-shirt, and not to happy about it. Seems to be working today though. No scratches or blood when I got back from being out. Just a pouty look at me with pillows tossed all over the house. Hard to get mad at the little devil when he scratches, those little sweet eyes and forever-licking tongue are too much. They know how to work us!
OscarLee

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

Our little Oscar has so many warts and sebaceous cysts, (the vet said he has both). He licks them to the point of rawness. He's already had some removed, but they come back. Back to the vet today as he's got one paw raw from licking two warts. Oscar's 10 and he's just covered in them. Sad.
Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »

I found a wee wart on Lucy's shoulder last night , sad  it doesnt seem to bother her though. noway  Might give the tattie a try Lainey, see if it works. Right you rub one half on the wart and bury the other half int the garden in the moon light,  thinking dont want to appear thick here, ashamed  but does that mean you have to be able to see the moon when you bury it.  confused
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

Probably best to do it when there's no moon so the neighbours don't think you're mad!!!!!  Laughing Laugh and Bounce Alison

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

Probably best to do it when there's no moon so the neighbours don't think you're mad!!!!!  Laughing Laugh and Bounce Alison

My neighbours think i'm mad anyway Alison  Laugh Hysterical  Laugh Hysterical
Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

Gold Bond medicated powder helps with the itch from both, warts and cysts.

Thank you, Alison
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 01:37:46 PM »

Probably best to do it when there's no moon so the neighbours don't think you're mad!!!!!  Laughing Laugh and Bounce Alison

My neighbours think i'm mad anyway Alison  Laugh Hysterical  Laugh Hysterical

Mine too!!! I have a feral rescue cat and her name is Peepo.It took a lot of work to bring her round so it was too hard to change the name.When I'm calling her in the garden it can be very embarrassing.The neighbour thought I wanted to play the " Peepo " game with him one day.I didn't see him behind the hedge.Alison.

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »

Laugh Hysterical  Laugh Hysterical  Laugh Hysterical
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: