Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 17, 2019, 01:06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Right Tools for the Job: a Grooming Tools Reference Guide  (Read 28194 times)
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »

Yeah I'd love to see video of scissoringclapping

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »

Me too  Clap

Another Terri creation
bluebell
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »

I might have to strap the camera to my forehead to get this to work...we shall see Laughing She is due for a trim this upcoming Monday so I will try to figure it all out for then.
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 11:47:04 PM »

I might have to strap the camera to my forehead to get this to work...

rock Now that would be dedication!  thumbsup Laughing

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »

I don't know if I could get the camera angled properly to show the scissoring but now I am interested to try thinking
Me too  Clap
Me three!! Yeah

Speaking of videos TV1 Danielle, your brushing video wasn't "up" last night when I posted blush.  It was great clapping to see your 8-minute-brushing (WOW that's quick)! Stick Out Tongue

Like Susan sillybounce, I take much longer than that.... an hour usually blush.  Then again, it's because I do it at a very leisurely pace whistling, always after we've both had lunch hungry, and I'm watching TV TV2.  Needless to say, Bianca lays down on her side.... ack blink, even for scissoring, she's laying down crazy Laughing.

Bluebell fluff is so cooperative nodding & tolerant thumbsup.... to be standing there for the whole brushing.  The wonderful advantage clapping of owning a showdog Kicking who's so used to being groomed (and I mean prepped for show etc), and who will stand stack for inspection etc. thumbup

PS: I don't suppose it was Bob that 'filmed' the brushing right?  You placed the camera on a table or something? original

PS: And how is Lucia vain to recognize you when all you've shown is a long green arm?! Laughing

Cheryl
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »

Thank You so much Danielle, for the great grooming help.  thumbsup  Lacey was being grown out to be shown also, so was already very accustomed to being groomed when I got her at 5 months old.  I've tried to brush her everyday, or at least often enough to keep her used to it,  whistling and she is professionally groomed every six weeks.  I really appreciated knowing the tools you use, so, I tried the scratch test with mine-- Looks like I'm going to have to do some online shopping.  Something I hate to do wink1 Laughing   

Also love Belle's froufy legs.  Those big round legs are my favorite part of the bichon.  She sure is a love,  Wub while  being groomed. flowers

Count Me in as another who would love to see the scissoring video cheerleader

Thanks Terri, we love it!
natalie
26yrs, Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

Barnaby Biggins

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »

Thanks so much for the informative post Danielle thumbsup

Thankfully, I've been just about using the correct tools so far, although I do have two bladed matt-breakers and I stopped using my pin brush when the adult coat started coming through (the breeder told me it was only good for the puppy hair and not for the curly adult coat).  I'll be getting another one of those now though and making the matt-breakers redundant! innocent  I think I'll invest in one of those slicker brushes with a flexible head too.  The one I have is good and
Barnaby doesn't mind being brushed anymore (thankfully he's come around really quickly with lots of gentle brushing and lots of treats along the way since his grooming episode), but anything that gives me piece of mind that he's not being brushed too hard etc is a bonus. blush

I take a lot longer than 8 minutes to brush him, but then I'm a real softie and am so careful when brushing not to pull his skin in any way blush  I could never do it as quickly as you do or lift his legs at such angles scared but I was pleased to find out that I'm at least doing it the right way. yahoo  I just read the information on line brushing, having never heard of it, only to realise that's what I do already (just because it's easier to see if there are any tangled bits that I might otherwise miss). Laughing  I do that pretty much every time I brush him though.  Do you only line brush when you give
Bluebell a bath? thinking

I'm not sure I could ever brush
Barnaby through in the way you do Bluebell without missing bits.  Then again, he has a much thicker coat by the look of it, which probably makes a big difference. nodding  Those thinner coats do have their upsides! eyebrows

bluebell
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »

A lot of questions so I will just dive in...

Del I did place the camera on a table to film myself. I had forgotten Bob was working late and I knew I would forget to have him do it if I didn't do it yesterday. and we get our brushing done quickly so we can go for our walk and come home to watch tv after eyebrows

Natalie part of the reason it is so easy to brush her out is definitely her thin coat. nodding She gets bathed/fluff dried once a week with conditioners so that also helps to prevent any tangling during the week. I sure hope you don't think that the angles I hold her legs are uncomfortable or unnatural. sad And healthy dog (no joint disease, arthritis etc.) can comfortably hold their legs as such...think of how high the boys lift to pee on trees. fluffpee I guess it is hard to see in the video, but I did part her hocks and her crest while I was brushing (which are the longest bits of hair on her). Due to the thinness of her coat and having the amount of practice I do, I don't have to sit there and part every bit to know I am getting everything. One of the few upsides to a thin coat Yeah

Glad to know this info is helpful original

Melissa :-)
ENTHUSIAST

Change 100 reasons to cry to a 1000 to smile

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »

I loved watching your videos Danielle.I was in a trance watching how angelic Bluebell was during grooming she even tolerated it when you lifted her to stand!  thumbup   Is that from her show days-she has become very well accustomed to handling/grooming?  thinking I too love her fluffy legs,she looks great so fluffalicious  Stick Out Tongue I cant wait till Scoob gets his fluffy legs back I loved them,he seems to have grown his hair back really thick and fluffy on his body but his legs seem to be more curly and not as much hair?  confused

bluebell
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »

Thanks Melissa original She is a very good girl. I think showing definitely helped train her to tolerate grooming and handling, but she is a very passive dog anyway. Very easy (and pleasurable) to groom and live with Wub
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »

Aw shes such a perfect angel,you are blessed with you little girl Danielle!  Wub Off topic but a quikc question for ya as a groomer....Scoob was cut very short 3 months ago roughly so would it generally take a bit longer for his legs to become as fluffy as his body is?

bluebell
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:35 PM »

His hair should grow at the same rate all over. Their legs are a bit stickly underneath the hair, so maybe it appears shorter than it is? thinking There is also the chance it is breaking...have you ever seen him chew on his fur? Without seeing it I can't really say what is happening. Now you have me wondering.
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 07:57:30 PM »

Haha sorry to make you wonder  Laughing  come to think of it he does lick his paws alot..........maybe it is just that they appear shorter they were cut very short when he was last groomed.  thinking And they used to be so fluffy   crybaby Maybe the more he licks his paws they appear curlier and look more flattened down cause of the damp  confused I fluffed him out yesterday with the drier and his coat is getting so thick and spongy  thumbup Feels like stroking air when its all poofed out  Stick Out Tongue 

bluebell
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 07:59:17 PM »

If you look at Belle's old photos (Terri's Belle) she used to like defuzzing her legs a lot (and even her dad's arm!). Some dogs do it out of habit.
natalie
26yrs, Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

Barnaby Biggins

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

Natalie part of the reason it is so easy to brush her out is definitely her thin coat. nodding She gets bathed/fluff dried once a week with conditioners so that also helps to prevent any tangling during the week. I sure hope you don't think that the angles I hold her legs are uncomfortable or unnatural. sad And healthy dog (no joint disease, arthritis etc.) can comfortably hold their legs as such...think of how high the boys lift to pee on trees. fluffpee I guess it is hard to see in the video, but I did part her hocks and her crest while I was brushing (which are the longest bits of hair on her). Due to the thinness of her coat and having the amount of practice I do, I don't have to sit there and part every bit to know I am getting everything. One of the few upsides to a thin coat Yeah

Glad to know this info is helpful original

Thanks Danielle - I don't for a minute think you're pulling Bluebell at angles that would be bad for her in any way! No  Barnaby gets himself in some right funny positions, but I would never put him in them myself - I'm too much of a worry-wart! Laughing

I meant to say in my post that it also makes a huge difference that you've been doing it for so long - I've only had
Barnaby for a year and I've never had another before him so I'm not exactly a dab-hand at it yet blush

I do have one question (although I'm sure it will sound ridiculous Bag Head )...I just brushed
Barnaby out and realised that, although I do line brush, I do it from his left side to his right side rather than from head to tail (if you see what I mean unsure ).  Does it make any difference? confused  I don't imagine that it would, but I'm a curious being Laughing

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: