Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 04:36:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Right Tools for the Job: a Grooming Tools Reference Guide  (Read 28885 times)
bluebell
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »

Thanks for stopping by Susan original

After Carol's latest grooming appointment, Del came up with the idea to post a thread about the different brushes and combs to help out everybody.

I used to buy cheap slicker brushes too Bag Head When I first started grooming I was taught that cheaper tools may not last as long but they are fine. After doing my own research and attending seminars I came to learn that quaility tools not only last longer, but they are better for the coat (meaning less coat damage and less matting).
bluebell
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »

Hils, I stand corrected. I just took a video of myself combing her out and it was about 8 mintutes long. Somehow it never felt like it took that long wacko Check out her before and after brushing pictures.

Video links removed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:43:30 PM by Bluebell » Logged
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »

Thank You Danielle for starting this wonderfully informative thread thumbup.
(I'm gonna sorcerer make this thread stick on top. Stick Out Tongue)

maybe Danielle can start a new thread in the GROOMING & CARE board, giving recommendations thumbsup for the best combs (eg: greyhound comb) and brushes (eg: DOGGYMAN brand of slicker brushes) we should be using for our fluffs....
I could do that for you Flex This is a very difficult coat to maintain even when you are using the right tools.
Agreed nodding.... which is why it's all the more important that our members have all the information see they need (like this "right grooming tools" thread, your "fluff-drying" thread, and the "home-grooming: scissoring links" plus "home grooming: scissoring drawings" threads).  Armed with new found knowledge book, they're well on their way to maintaining their fluff's coat better Yeah.

edited to add:- just saw there've been 2 new replies while I was posting Doh.  I'm so slooooow blush2

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:09:57 PM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »

....quaility tools not only last longer, but they are better for the coat (meaning less coat damage and less matting).
Again, .... from the outset, Ed impressed upon me the importance of buying quality tools (nevermind that it's a bit more expensive... they'll last longer, he said nodding).

Earlier today (just before dinner) when I had a chance to log-on quickly for a peek , I saw you had started the thread Danielle thumbsup, so I took a pic of Bianca's combs & brushes. 

The former are quality stainless steel from Japan.  Come to think of it thinking, most of what I have are from Japan (DOGGYMAN is a Japanese brand).  I don't think any of our petstores carry the CHRIS CHRISTIANSEN tools sad (I love their range of shampoo though thumbsup, treatment or otherwise).  The LES POOCH slicker brushes look "awesome" scared ..... kinda like a double-edge/sided unsure blush.  I'm gonna have to visit the local distributor here and check it out Yeah.

edited to add:- earlier I didn't see Doh your attachments.  Bluebell fluff sure looks fluffed! Stick Out Tongue

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:35:23 PM by EDDEL » Logged

bluebell
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 03:00:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing Bianca's tool kit with us. I don't have experience with the Doggyman brand name myself, but it is good to have another quality option to choose from (especially international members). I Love word my Les Poochs brushes and I hope you are able to check them out.
lainey
G.O.D.

Miss Mitsy

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »

Thank You for all the great info.

Mitsy has only got a puppy coat  Pacifier so I have bookmarked this thread for later on, it's great and I am going to order the right brushes.

We are going to the groomers this week to have a wash, blow dry  manfro & nail clipping and get used to the new noises and smells. I was hoping he would show me the best ways to brush & comb.

Carol, could the mystery tool be for cleaning the brush out ?

Lainey & Mitsy xxx

Hils
Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 06:33:12 PM »

Thanks for the videos Danielle - I can't believe how fluffy Blue is!  I also can't believe it only takes you 8 minutes - amazing!  She's such a good girl to stand so well for you, even though she was a bit sleepy.  original

Del, thanks for the photo of your grooming tools too.  thumbsup
bluebell
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 07:04:21 PM »

We are going to the groomers this week to have a wash, blow dry  manfro & nail clipping and get used to the new noises and smells. I was hoping he would show me the best ways to brush & comb.

That is a great idea thumbsup The groomer will be able to see if there are any trouble areas in your routine and help you to keep her maintained in between. Her puppy coat is a lot easier to work with, so getting the routine down pat before the dreaded change will be great for the both of you nodding

Thanks for the videos Danielle - I can't believe how fluffy Blue is!  I also can't believe it only takes you 8 minutes - amazing!  She's such a good girl to stand so well for you, even though she was a bit sleepy.  original

She is my fluffy girl fluff-girl I was surprised when I took the video and realized how long it took me (much longer than I had originally thought blush). Hopefully your routine will become easier for you; Bluebell is a lot of work and I only have one.

I would want to go back to napping if it were me so I can't blame her Laughing She is a true pleasure to groom Happy 2
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

flowers I'll hafta come back and watch the video tonight!  Yeah

... and thanks for sharing the princesses' vain beauty kit with us Del!  blush bouquet

nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »

Thank you so much Danielle for showing us your grooming session with Bluebell, she is amazing (you too). I have never seen a Bichon groomed before. So the only experience I have is my own which is pretty poor. My Bichons wriggle and try and get away and it takes along time. They hate there legs and feets being down and Maddy squawks like a stick pig when I go near her tummy or underpits.

bluebell
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 09:18:38 PM »

You're welcome Claire. I can't take all the credit for Blue's behaviour; most of that goes to the breeder for teaching her to be so accepting. Maybe the next time they are at the groomer you could ask her for any tips on how to get them to be more cooperative (it's hard to give advice when I don't know myself exactly what they are doing). Part of it is just having a calm, assertive demeanor that lets them know that they are getting brushed now..period. Another is giving praise/treats at the right times to teach them what is expected of them during grooming. I love your description of Maddy's protests however Laughing She is such a cutie I would be hard presesd to upset her by brushing her tootsies.
Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 09:59:48 PM »

Well that has answered one thing for me  blush ...Riley is a sooky  Pacifier  for sure.  Laughing  I could never brush or comb Riley like you do Blue  No , for one he wouldn't stay still  Kicking  and then he would scream blue murder  crybaby if I was as forceful assertive when brushing him.  nodding  Riley sits the minute you go near his rear end. Laughing   I find I do his head  manfro area on the grooming table, the rest is done on my knee with him sitting like a baby.  Pacifier  I think possibly the difference in coats comes in to it too.  Riley's coat is so dense you can't just rip the comb through  noway , Blue's coat looks so fine and fluffy. She must be a dream to groom  innocent 

Another Terri creation
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »

Ok, I just watched the video  thumbsup (were you wearing your new sweater?   eyebrows )... like Rae, I could probably never comb out Max  manfro like that .. his hair doesn't  No comb through that easy  blink and he would never be that compliant about having his gams brushed!  crazy Laughing

But I found it fascinating thinking to watch someone else grooming their bichon  nodding ... idea  maybe we can have a members grooming their bichons thread!  flowers ... thinking .. but I'd hafta do some editing otherwise mine would be an hour long  crazy  Laughing

bluebell
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »

... I could never brush or comb Riley like you do Blue  No , for one he wouldn't stay still  Kicking  and then he would scream blue murder  crybaby if I was as forceful assertive when brushing him.  nodding  ...  I think possibly the difference in coats comes in to it too.  Riley's coat is so dense you can't just rip the comb through  noway , Blue's coat looks so fine and fluffy. She must be a dream to groom  innocent 

Laughing Blue is very used to getting groomed so I can get it done at my own pace and she lets me. Not all of my clients are as tolerant of things, so I generally have to go a bit slower and work through behavioral problems with them (i.e. waiting for them to settle while I hold their feet and praising them for allowing the brushing when they do). Blue gets a "good girl" here and there, but as you've seen she doesn't need mollycoddling.

Her coat is very thin compared to some which it makes brushing easier, but is a stinker to scissor and get to stand on her crown. Generally I would use a leave-in conditioner to brsuh but I don't want to add more weight to her coat as it already flops on its own (even using bodifiers). Thanks for checking out her video flowers
bluebell
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:01 PM »

Ok, I just watched the video  thumbsup (were you wearing your new sweater?   eyebrows )... like Rae, I could probably never comb out Max  manfro like that .. his hair doesn't  No comb through that easy  blink and he would never be that compliant about having his gams brushed!  crazy Laughing

Thanks for checking out her video (yes that was the new sweater eyebrows). Blue's coat is pretty thin compared to some, but the comb will go through his coat with enough brushing nodding Of course it may take you a lot longer to get him brushed enough for the comb due to the density of his coat.

But I found it fascinating thinking to watch someone else grooming their bichon  nodding ... idea  maybe we can have a members grooming their bichons thread!  flowers ... thinking .. but I'd hafta do some editing otherwise mine would be an hour long  crazy  Laughing[/size]

It may only take me 8 minutes to brush her, but it takes a whole lot longer to scissor her. I don't know if I could get the camera angled properly to show the scissoring but now I am interested to try thinking
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: