Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 07:46:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Determining WHY YOUR BICHON IS SCRATCHING  (Read 31868 times)
Renee

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »

Thanks Alison, it is pure lamb that I have been put her on. No other ingredients in it besides some fruit and vege. Yes that's exactly what I've done taken her collar off and will only use her harness for walks. And taken her food out of the metal bowls. I checked with her breeder and she had ceramic bowls for all the puppies(no metal) and none of the other puppies have any allergies. I will post later to let you know of progress as this may help someone else. Next option will be allergy testing but have been told it's not that accurate. Sorry wasn't sure how to start a new thread
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 06:23:30 AM »

We found allergy testing really helpful.This is the link to the thread where I posted her results.

http://bichon.ca/forum/index.php/topic,23021.0.html

I hope you manage to get it all under control soon.

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »

Allergies are a tough one as there are so many variables that can cause reactions. My Luigi had a rough 1st year with allergies and then he flared again the spring/summer he was 2 years. Most of his flares were itching and rash and then he developed yeast from all the licking and scratching.  He has been been fine now for the past 2 and a half years. Actually neither of my fluffs hardly scratch at all now where as before they seemed always to have an itch.
Allergies flare when the immune system can't take on anymore allergens, so then it reacts. Keeping the immune system strong and the allergens at a minimum helps keep a balance. Allergens can come from all directions it doesn't necessarily have to be food. It could be a combination of foods and seasonal allergens such as grass, weeds, dust mites from the carpet, it could even be your laundry soap.  It is hard trying to eliminate everything your puppy comes in contact with.
Personally I feel vaccines compromise the immune system so after my pups had finished their initial jabs and their 18 month booster I choose to only titer test. When I did give inoculations to Lia I made sure they were give far apart from each other and only what was necessary, unfortunately I wasn't so on the ball with Luigi and he is my pup that reacts to jabs.
Good luck, hopefully you pup will outgrow the itching.

Thank you Alison!
Renee

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

Thanks Lin I have got her on a probiotic for her immune system so hopefully something will work soon. I'm also hoping perhaps she might outgrow whatever it is. I am getting her spayed on Friday so I am wondering if I could get her allergy tested at the same time while she is under anesthetic?????
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »

I'm sure they could do the bloods the same time.good luck for Friday.Alison

Renee

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

Thanks Allison, been putting it off but Zoe's nearly 6 months now so best get it over and done with
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: