Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 08:04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Determining WHY YOUR BICHON IS SCRATCHING  (Read 31869 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: October 16, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »

Thank you Del!
That list will come in so handy for itchy fluffers.  nodding

Melissa :-)
ENTHUSIAST

Change 100 reasons to cry to a 1000 to smile

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:53:48 PM »

Good symptom chart,Del for handy reference very concise!  thumbup Thanks for posting it!

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »

clapping What a great list Del!!! rock .... Buddy is having some  Don't Get It excessive scratching that I am currently trying to thinking figure out!  crazy  This information is very nodding helpfulbouquet

SusieL
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »

For Oliver, scratching almost always means he has picked up a flea - I think there are a lot of them in our area and if I miss his flea medicine (Frontline Plus) by just a few days he starts to scratch.  Just one flea can cause havoc.  I recently spoke with my vet about the medicine because it didn't seem to me it was lasting a month and she told me that putting it on every three weeks would be fine.  So I am now noting the dates on my calendar and hoping to stop his periodic bouts of scratching and biting.  We also determined he was allergic to grains when he was a baby.

Thanks Del for the good info.

Susie and Oliver

Chellie
Tipperary, Ireland
G.O.D.

3 Little Pink Ladies

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »

Thank You Del  Hug for the info ... Mollie shakes her head and scratches her ears a bit (I've checked but seen nothing  unsure )  I'll have to give her a good check ... Bonnie scratches a bit but I figured that was normal  unsure  She also nuzzles but I've checked and there is nothing to see ... I'm giving them a nice pamper day this weekend so when I'm brushing I'll give them a good thorough search  nodding

Behr's Mum
NOVICE

Lisa Loves Her Fluffer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:10:07 PM »

Thank you Del!  thumbup
This list is very helpful. Behr has been scratching but a can't find and fleas or ticks.
All those little spider like flea things scarried me a bit though. scared

natalie
26yrs, Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

Barnaby Biggins

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »

Thanks for this Del - very useful!  In fact, it's so helpful that I think perhaps it would be a good candidate for becoming a "sticky" eyebrows

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »

Thanks for this Del - very useful!  In fact, it's so helpful that I think perhaps it would be a good candidate for becoming a "sticky" eyebrows

I agree with you Natalie! rock ... consider it done!  sorcerer

Annie36
G.O.D.

Mommy's little boy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »

Jake could be allergic to me???? Oh no, what can be done for that? It never occured to me that my baby could be allergic to me(my dander) before No

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

PaulyBichon

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »

Pauly just came back from the vet with a $235.00 bill only for her to tell me that it was bugs bites. Now..this exact same outbreak happened last year to the day! In the exact same places (front and rear bottom of paws and on his side). Now she says he also has an ear infection but shows no signs of this at all. I questioned that rather then just treating what was going on, lets try to find out WHY this happens at the extact same time every year. No answer...no help. I am beside myself at the condition of my poor guy who now has a halo on to allow the bites to heal. 5 meds plus a topical cream.
Do not misunderstand me, I do not care how much the bill was or what I have to do to help him. But to tell me that it is from bug bites is just crazy. The same bug came back from last year?? lol
Helppppppppppppppppppppppp
BeefryBichonFrise

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

Warm compress on allergy related itchiness is the best way to lessen the itch. Cutting the nails is also a way in preventing injuries and secondary infections.

Bichon frise training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have it all???
Renee

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:26 AM »

Hi everyone fairly new to this forum. I've got a 6mth old bichon named Zoe. We are battling an allergy which we haven't identified yet. So far we have had two hotspots one behind the ear the next under her chin. We have tried hypoallergenic royal canin but I was unhappy to have her on this as have researched that it's not so good for dogs especially puppies. So I am now trying raw food green lamb tripe by k9 natural. She does seem better and her hotspot was ok so I took her Elizabethan collar off and put her normal nylon collar back on. And the itching seemed to start again coincidence? Or not? So I decided to Google and see if dogs are allergic to either nylon or metal (which is on collar and name tag and also when I got her as a puppy got metal water and feed bowls). And it appears some are so what do u all think the chances are? Any feedback greatly appreciated :-)
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:51 AM »

It would probably be best to start a new thread under health as more people will see it then.

Its horrible when they are itchy.Abby became allergic to things when she was 6.We had allergy testing done and lamb was one of the things she was allergic to.It can be anything.Its hard to pin point what is causing the problems.

Allergy testing is the easiest,but expensive.Exclusion diets are the other.I'd try a ceramic bowl and maybe just put her collar on when you go out.If she is itchy with the lamb then you could try chicken.

The problem is lots of foods don't have a single protein source.Lamb could have some beef in it or anything else too although the flavour is lamb.

You need to check with the manufacturer to see if they will give you a straight answer.I'm in the UK and use Burns and they do only use a single protein type.

Alison

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: