Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 24, 2019, 06:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Prior to this thread, have ya ever read the Bichon Frise BREED STANDARD before?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bichon Frise BREED STANDARD (have ya read?)  (Read 19116 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: September 06, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:06:35 AM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:34:59 PM »

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »

continued.....

NECK, TOPLINE and BODY arrow The arched neck is long and carried proudly behind an erect head. It blends smoothly into the shoulders. The length of neck from occiput to withers is approximately 1/3 the distance from forechest to buttocks. The topline is level except for a slight, muscular arch over the loin.

NECK arrow Arched neck fairly long, about one-third the length of body. Carried high and proudly. Round and slim near head, gradually broadening to fit smoothly into shoulders.

NECK, TOPLINE and BODY (continued) arrow BODY: The chest is well developed and wide enough to allow free and unrestricted movement of the front legs. The lowest point of the chest extends at least to the elbow. The rib cage is moderately sprung and extends back to a short and muscular loin. The forechest is well pronounced and protrudes slightly forward of the point of shoulder. The underline has a moderate tuck-up.

BODY arrow Forechest well developed, deep brisket. Ribs well sprung, floating ribs not terminating abruptly. Loin broad, well muscled, slightly arched and well tucked up. Pelvis broad, croup slightly rounded. Length from withers to tailset should equal height from withers to ground.

FOREQUARTERS arrow The shoulder blade, upper arm and forearm are approximately equal in length. The shoulders are laid back to somewhat near a forty-five degree angle. The upper arm extends well back so the elbow is placed directly below the withers when viewed from the side. Legs are of medium bone, straight, with no bow or curve in the forearm or wrist. The elbows are held close to the body. The pasterns slope slightly from the vertical. The dewclaws may be removed. The feet are tight and round, resembling those of a cat and point directly forward, turning neither in nor out. Pads are black. Nails are kept short.

FOREQUARTERS arrow Shoulders oblique, not prominent, equal in length to upper arm. Upper arm fits close to body. Legs straight, perpendicular, when seen from front; not too finely boned. Pasterns short and straight viewed from front, very slightly sloping viewed from side.

HINDQUARTERS arrow The hindquarters are of medium bone, well angulated with muscular thighs and spaced moderately wide. The upper and lower thigh are nearly equal in length meeting at a well bent stifle joint. The leg from hock joint to foot pad is perpendicular to the ground. Dewclaws may be removed. Paws are tight and round with black pads.

HINDQUARTERS arrow Thighs broad and well rounded. Stifles well bent; hocks well angulated and metatarsals perpendicular.  FEET: Tight, rounded and well knuckled up. Pads black. Nails preferably black.

to be continued.....

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:51:06 AM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

continued.....

COAT arrow The texture of the coat is of utmost importance. The undercoat is soft and dense, the outercoat of a coarser and curlier texture. The combination of the two gives a soft but substantial feel to the touch which is similar to plush or velvet and when patted springs back. When bathed and brushed, it stands off the body, creating an overall powder puff appearance. A wiry coat is not desirable. A limp, silky coat, a coat that lies down, or a lack of undercoat are very serious faults.
TRIMMING:- The coat is trimmed to reveal the natural outline of the body. It is rounded off from any direction and never cut so short as to create an overly trimmed or squared off appearance. The furnishings of the head, beard, moustache, ears and tail are left longer. The longer head hair is trimmed to create an overall rounded impression. The topline is trimmed to appear level. The coat is long enough to maintain the powder puff look which is characteristic of the breed.

COAT arrow Fine, silky with soft corkscrew curls. Neither flat nor corded, and measuring 7-10 cms (3-4 ins) in length. The dog may be presented untrimmed or have muzzle and feet slightly tidied up.

COLOR arrow Color is white, may have shadings of buff, cream or apricot around the ears or on the body. Any color in excess of 10% of the entire coat of a mature specimen is a fault and should be penalized, but color of the accepted shadings should not be faulted in puppies.

COLOUR arrow White, but cream or apricot markings acceptable up to 18 months. Under white coat, dark pigment desirable. Black, blue or beige markings often found on skin.

GAIT arrow Movement at a trot is free, precise and effortless.  In profile the forelegs and hind legs extend equally with an easy reach and drive that maintain a steady topline.  When moving, the head and neck remain somewhat erect and as speed increases there is a very slight convergence of legs toward the center line.  Moving away, the hindquarters travel with moderate width between them and the foot pads can be seen.  Coming and going, his movement is precise and true.

GAIT arrow Balanced and effortless with an easy reach and drive maintaining a steady and level topline.  Legs moving straight along line of travel, with hind pads showing.

arrow Any deviation from the ideal described in the standard should be penalized to the extent of the deviation. Structural faults common to all breeds are as undesirable in the Bichon Frise as in any other breed, even though such faults may not be specifically mentioned in the standard.

FAULTS arrow Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog. 

Note:- Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:29:18 AM by EDDEL » Logged

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

I voted "No" that I haven't read the Standards Book,
but I must have read your old post, because some of that's  kinda familiar. thinking
Belle has all those qualities, (black lippies, beautiful eyes, etc.) vain
She's just too dang tiny according to the standards.
I didn't get a ruler out to measure her, cuz she's a big 'ol chicken. Laughing
I'm looking forward to Act II Del. thumbsup

nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »

I have read all that before, but it was a while ago, so its interesting to go back through it all.

"EYES  Dark, round with black eye rims, surrounded by dark haloes, consisting of well pigmented skin. Forward-looking, fairly large but not almond-shaped, neither obliquely set nor protruding. Showing no white when looking forward. Alert, full of expression."

*Maddy definately has protruding eyes, I wonder sometimes if that has something to do with her tear staining?

"HEAD - EXPRESSION (continued)  The lower jaw is strong. The NOSE is prominent and always black.  LIPS are black, fine, never drooping.  BITE is scissors. A bite which is undershot or overshot should be severely penalized. A crooked or out of line tooth is permissible, however, missing teeth are to be severely faulted."

*BeeGee has a couple of crooked lower teeth, I have to check it regularly cos he gets food caught in between them.

Thanks Del, you are absolutely a wealth of information.

bluebell
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:40:44 PM »

I've read it Stick Out Tongue That was part of my grooming apprenticeship, learning all of the breed standard and breed styles.

I'm by no means bragging as I'm not the one responsible for breeding or showing her, but Bluebell is a Champion of Record with the AKC (Ch. Stary Dom's Skies of Blue). Her only "fault" is that she stands 12 inches at the withers. It is still an acceptable height but obviously it is preferred that she be 9.5-11.5 inches instead.
nzbyrd
G.O.D.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:52:22 PM »

And she is gorgeous too Danielle, we all love Bluebell.

bluebell
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »

Me too inlove
Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »

I fell in love with the Bichon after seeing a pet, (Leo, RIP)
not a show dog.
So for Belle to look like a showdog wouldn't be important to me at all.
I like her just the way she is. nodding

Carol
Keep Smiling :)
G.O.D.

Angels without wings are called Friends.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 05:18:35 PM »

Belle and Bluebell are precious little darlins' for sure!! Ozzie is anything but a showdog  Laugh Hysterical  either, but he is my little Bozman, couldn't love him more, he's perfect to me.  inlove Despite the special feature of missing one of his back paws, he falls  in line with all of the standards - black lips, haloed eyes, tail carried up over the back, he really fills the characteristics and temperament of the Bichon - he is all of those and more.

Melissa :-)
ENTHUSIAST

Change 100 reasons to cry to a 1000 to smile

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »

I read it over and over before I bought Scooby  Laugh Hysterical  to check that he conformed as closely as possible to the standards before I purchased(bichons are expensive enough had to check it was a bichon we were getting lol and not because I thought standards mattered only because I wanted proof of a pedigree bichon purely for temprament and hypoallergenic reasons)I also found it over and over everytime I googled bichons especially when mine was a young puppy. I love googling new bichon info though. Laughing  Stick Out Tongue Thanks Del for posting the info it will be really handy to lots of owners both new and existing owners of the bichon breed.  thumbup   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:16:20 PM by Melissa(Scooby Dooby) » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

Thanks Terri, Claire, Danielle, Carol, and Melissa for responding+participating meeting in this thread.

Belle has all those qualities, (black lippies, beautiful eyes, etc.) vain
....he falls  in line with all of the standards - black lips, haloed eyes, tail carried up over the back, he really fills the characteristics and temperament of the Bichon - he is all of those and more.
They sure do nodding Terri and Carol!  That's just one of the wonderful things swing about knowing (or having read book) the breed standard see.  Ya know how they're supposed to look like... and more importantly, know that the furry in your arms is quintessentially Bichon say.... by virtue of his/her halos.  Pigmentation around the eyes crystalizes the bright, alert, and sassy expression (as opined by Richard Beauchamp thumbsup).  This is a very distinguishing hallmark of the breed.  Another being of course their wonderfully gay/happy temperament swing. 

*Maddy definately has protruding eyes, I wonder sometimes if that has something to do with her tear staining?
Claire, I'm not sure unsure about Maddison's protruding eyes shocking2 causing tears to run more (and hence staining the coat just beneath the inner corners of her eyes), but I have read book flat-faced dogs with protruding eyes shocking2 do require more eye care comfort in that they are less protected than breeds with eyes that are set deeper (and protected by a long muzzle).  I'm also thinking thinking (though not entirely sure unsure) certain eye-shapes do not No lend well to tear drainage (meaning, the tears spill out of the eye, especially inner corners) and therefore causes the tears to run down and stain the facial hair.
PS: As a side note..... the FCI (ie. Federation Cynologique Internationale) does state in its breed standard see for Bichons Frises that "the socket must not bulge" and "the eyeball must not stand out too much".

*BeeGee has a couple of crooked lower teeth, I have to check it regularly cos he gets food caught in between them.
That's cute blush.  I'm sure those few crooked lower teeth gives BeeGee that much more character eyebrows..... more bite if ya will wink1.

to be continued......

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:08:22 AM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:24 AM »

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »

My dogs are not all breed standard it has to be said Laughing.Pepe is pretty perfect although he has 1 crooked tooth and his tail curls too tightly.  Titch is small - she was underweight when picked up as a stray and is still slightly more petite than the required size (but wonderful with it of course).  Big bouncing Bengy - hmmmmm - weights in at 30 lbs and measures about 14-15 inches (depending on where exactly I stop - trying hard to follow the diagram Eddel).  A bit on the large side perhaps - but a temperament that cannot be faulted.  A super dog  Wub.
Pam

bluebell
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 10:22:06 PM »

.   Not that a 0.2 inch difference is gonna matter wink1, especially for many of our Bichons whose destiny in life is to lay on the couch, hog the bed, chase the rabbit, empty the laundry etc etc Laughing.

True enough Laughing
Carol
G.O.D.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 07:08:22 PM »

At 13 months, Ozzie measures 10-3/8" "at the withers"!!  Stick Out Tongue

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »

My dogs are not all breed standard it has to be said Laughing...... but a temperament that cannot be faulted.
Thanks for joining in the discussion meeting Pam! original  I like that you mentioned temperament.....  Doesn't matter if a Bichon is shorter/taller/heavier than the standard says he/she should be.... having the right temperament is oh-so-very important too! nodding

At 13 months, Ozzie measures 10-3/8" "at the withers"!!  Stick Out Tongue
Perfecto clapping Carol!!  I Love word how you got it right down to three-eighths of an inch thumbup.

More points of the breed standard see have been added in the 3rd post (click here).  If anyone should have questions thinking about these new points... topline, body length, forequarters, hindquarters, etc..... feel free to ask original,

Carol
G.O.D.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »

Thanks, Del! Actually I had help from my hubby.  Bag Head

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:19 PM »

Just want to add in case anyone doesn't understand - 3 of my 4 are rescue dogs and I wouldn't change them one iota.  But they are all neutered because I recognise the need for maintaining or indeed improving the standard due to careful eye testing etc.  My personal opinion is that certainly in the UK there has been so much unethical breeding that the standard is in trouble - but we want these little dogs because of the standard.
Hope that makes sense - not tryig to be difficult - just my point of view.
pam 

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »

bump ..... I've added swing the last few points of the breed standard see (click here to jump to 4th post of this thread).

In trying to understand / 'visualize' what GAIT Kicking means.... I blush highly recommend thumbsup you all watch TV1 a video!  Click here to read a thread about WESTMINSTER 2007 BICHON FRISE Judging thumbup and to watch said video thumbsup.

I hope our many new members read book and participate in this discussion meeting thread.  Feel free to ask/post your questions/comments original.

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »

Ah bless - what a shame the standard doesn't include the stopping at every tree gait!
Pam

Cheryl
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »

Lacey comes pretty close to breed standard,  She was being grown out along with her sister to be shown, but alas, she fell short of perfect!   Lucky for me!!!   While I was waiting for one of the sisters, I had no idea which one, I was praying for a crooked tooth or anything that would get me my baby!!!  I guess her chest is a little to broad---(never thought that could be a fault). wink1   But that is why we didn't get her until she was 5 months old. 

Thanks Terri, we love it!
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »

Ah bless - what a shame the standard doesn't include the stopping at every tree gait!
:rofl:  I'm sure several of our members would agree with you on that one Pam! Stick Out Tongue

Lacey comes pretty close to breed standard,  She was being grown out along with her sister to be shown, but alas, she fell short of perfect!   Lucky for me!!!
YES nodding lucky Clap for you, and lucky Clap for us too, Cheryl!  I hope you had voted in the YES nodding or NO poll.  I have no doubts that Lacey fluff ~ coming from a breeder who shows ~ is a lovely & close thumbsup representation of the breed Wub.

charlies_momma

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 02:38:47 AM »

I haven't measured little Charlie, but he looks pretty perfect considering he came from a Mill. Certainly another good reason to have him neutered when he's 6 months-- although I'd already decided that from the start.   

I hate to think about these wee little babies being turned out like factory stuffed animals to pad someones pocket--torn away from their Mums before their ready and God only knows what horrible sort of conditions they are kept in and the suffering--it all just makes me so sick.
This was a very informative article on the breed though--thank you.
 I was just thinking about a lot of the "designer dogs" popping up and wondering if it continues at this steady rate if many breeds will become obsolete?  Sorry if I seem to get off topic sometimes...heh...I'm sleep deprived with my new baby...what can I say Wink?  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:56:16 AM by charlies_momma » Logged
stefania

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »

continued.....

COAT arrow The texture of the coat is of utmost importance. The undercoat is soft and dense, the outercoat of a coarser and curlier texture. The combination of the two gives a soft but substantial feel to the touch which is similar to plush or velvet and when patted springs back. When bathed and brushed, it stands off the body, creating an overall powder puff appearance. A wiry coat is not desirable. A limp, silky coat, a coat that lies down, or a lack of undercoat are very serious faults.
TRIMMING:- The coat is trimmed to reveal the natural outline of the body. It is rounded off from any direction and never cut so short as to create an overly trimmed or squared off appearance. The furnishings of the head, beard, moustache, ears and tail are left longer. The longer head hair is trimmed to create an overall rounded impression. The topline is trimmed to appear level. The coat is long enough to maintain the powder puff look which is characteristic of the breed.

COAT arrow Fine, silky with soft corkscrew curls. Neither flat nor corded, and measuring 7-10 cms (3-4 ins) in length. The dog may be presented untrimmed or have muzzle and feet slightly tidied up.

COLOR arrow Color is white, may have shadings of buff, cream or apricot around the ears or on the body. Any color in excess of 10% of the entire coat of a mature specimen is a fault and should be penalized, but color of the accepted shadings should not be faulted in puppies.

COLOUR arrow White, but cream or apricot markings acceptable up to 18 months. Under white coat, dark pigment desirable. Black, blue or beige markings often found on skin.

GAIT arrow Movement at a trot is free, precise and effortless.  In profile the forelegs and hind legs extend equally with an easy reach and drive that maintain a steady topline.  When moving, the head and neck remain somewhat erect and as speed increases there is a very slight convergence of legs toward the center line.  Moving away, the hindquarters travel with moderate width between them and the foot pads can be seen.  Coming and going, his movement is precise and true.

GAIT arrow Balanced and effortless with an easy reach and drive maintaining a steady and level topline.  Legs moving straight along line of travel, with hind pads showing.

arrow Any deviation from the ideal described in the standard should be penalized to the extent of the deviation. Structural faults common to all breeds are as undesirable in the Bichon Frise as in any other breed, even though such faults may not be specifically mentioned in the standard.

FAULTS arrow Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog. 

Note:- Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

my bichons one ear does not hanging,is always up..is this normal it will change in future?
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »

I just saw this thread, and added my vote!

I read the breed standard frequently, as it is part of the Bichon Information Station.

Sugar is closest to breed standard.

Lacey is too long in the body.

Marlin is a "BOB," Big Ole Bichon, and doesn't qualify te hee

And Ozzy is . . . Ozzy.  We just let him be and get on with living at this point!

Stefania, sorry I can't answer your question.  My dogs are all rescues and arrived here full grown.  Don't worry, someone will be along and post with their thoughts. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »

my bichons one ear does not hanging,is always up..is this normal it will change in future?

Hi there wave Stephania, and Welcome To Bichon.ca.  I hope you will introduce hat yourself in our [Meet & Greet] board (click here to start a new thread).  Maybe show us a picture of your Bichon fluff too.  So we can see what you mean about his/her ear "not hanging".

We have a member (Meranda) whose Bichon (Cubby fluff) has a ear that's "pointed up" blush..... and that's because he was bitten by his littermate when he was young Pacifier.  His distinctive ear makes him extra special Wub.... you can see his pictures by clicking here.

Please remember to do an introduction thread.   Don't be shy flowers.  A while ago, we had someone from Greece sign-up too original.

Becky
NOVICE

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »

Buster and Rebel are only 12 weeks old, so it is hard to tell if how well they meet the standard, but I do know that Buster has pink pads.  Rebel's are black.  They are littermates.  Is this unusual that one has pink and one has black?  Also, Buster has a lot more spots on her underbelly than Rebel.  I can really see them when I bathe her. 

stephll
Massachusetts, USA
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »

I'm no expert but I think that it probably means that both of them have good pigmentation.  I know that's usually what the spots indicate.  The pink pads will probably turn black as she gets a little older.  The fact that Rebel's are black already doesn't really mean much I don't think.

I don't think it's meaningful that one has pink pads and one has black.  It just means the pigmentation is filling out at slightly different rates.

By the way, I Love word the pink pads and the spots...cow spots is what I call them.

Thank You, Danielle!

Stephanie, Pekoe, Jasmine and Pumpkin at Rainbow Bridge
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: