Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 22, 2019, 07:05:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GETTING A BICHON? Checklist: choosing pet/show puppy  (Read 17216 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: March 16, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »

fluffcribB        fluffcribG        fluffcribB        fluffcribG        fluffcribB        fluffcribG

We've had a few New Here members sign-up clapping even before they got/picked up their Bichon Pacifier puppy, which is great! Clap

To help these and future Bichon fluff parents-to-be , I thought I'd share a PUPPY CHECK LIST see that ED & I used when we went to pick up Bianca Wub.

To assess Bichon Pacifier puppy's temperament....
bulb Pick up the puppy and observe his behavior.
(a) Cringe
(b) Tentative
(c) Relaxed
(d) Resists
(e) Bites

bulb Take the puppy to a quiet area away from the litter, put him/her down, and watch the way he explores.
(a) or (b) or (c) or (d) or (e) as above

bulb Roll the puppy on his/her back, hold him/her there for a minute, and see what he/she does.
(a) or (b) or (c) or (d) or (e) as above

Preferably you want one Pacifier that scores mostly (b)s and/or (c)s.  You definitely don't want one that bites (indicating aggressiveness).  Then again, it could be the pup is inquisitive & is play-biting.  One who cringes at everything will likely grow up to be submissive (which in turn can result in submissive-aggression).  But if you cut the timid puppy some slack, it could very well be he/she is just scared from having been 'plucked' away from his/her dam, littermates, out of the playpen.  But generally, puppies should be inquisitive, and usually show no fear (charging at everything).

Hope this helps!

edited to fix broken links of images due to server-changeover
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:17:45 AM by EDDEL » Logged

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:08:36 AM »

continued...

To assess Bichon Pacifier puppy's general health/appearance

bulb EARS: Should be pink and clean, no odour or dark discharge.

bulb MOUTH: Inside of mouth & gums should be pink, and teeth should be clean & white.  No malformation of mouth/jaw.

bulb EYES: Dark eyes should be clear and bright.  No signs of discharge.

bulb NOSE: Should not be crusted or running.

bulb BODY: Feels compact and substantial to the touch, never bony and undernourished; not bloated.

bulb SKIN: No eruptions on the skin.  No fleas or ticks.

bulb LEGS: Should be straight.  As pup walks towards you, front legs should move directly forward, as should the rear legs when puppy is moving away from you.  Movement should be free & easy.

bulb And finally no signs of diarrhea.

This may all sound very common sense, but with the proliferation of puppy mills and backyard breeders, you can never be sure.  Buying from a reputable, respected and responsible breeder is half the battle won.

New owners, bichon-mummies/daddies-to-be, feel free to post question(s) about picking/choosing the right puppy here in this thread nodding.  We shall all be more than happy to help, wherever we can flowers.

edited to fix broken links of images due to server-changeover
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:18:14 AM by EDDEL » Logged

snowangel
NOVICE

I love my Snow Angel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 05:54:50 AM »

Smiley  Very informative article thank you for posting it.  I hope it will help people that are interested in buying a Bichon.  They really are beautiful dogs and seem to have a good disposition.  We love ours!!

Sincerely,
snow angel

QueenKxoxo

My best friends dog SNUGGLES!!

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:21:46 PM »

I have a question! How do you know it likes you??
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »

I have a question! How do you know it likes you??

You'll just bond with eachother inlove if not straight away then within a few days! wink1

DEL-ish-ified

Lady&Sa$$y's Mom
Woodland,Pennsylvania
EXPERT

Lady 3 years Sassy 3 years

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »

How do you know it likes you??

I havent found one living thing that my girls dont like.They adore every person they have come in contact with.They like other dogs.I think Lady would try and play with the meanest pitbull around.They are sooo good with my 1 yr old grandson and he grabs at them and such.Only makes them go back for more.

sammyboy
NOVICE

Sammy " Gone but never forgotten"

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 09:46:10 PM »

Thanks Chellie
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:47:08 PM »

Here are a few threads on Male vs Female Bichons...

http://bichon-frise.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2702.0
(poll on female and males)

http://bichon-frise.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2431.0

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 10:51:56 PM »

Here is a basic article about male vs female dogs... but with Bichons I dont think the gender makes a difference...

http://www.timbreblue.com/petdogs-l/getting_gender.htm

sammyboy
NOVICE

Sammy " Gone but never forgotten"

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:07:05 PM »

Thanks Chellie
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 11:13:06 PM »

You are VERY welcome Barb  flowers

MisTrish

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 02:50:23 AM »

Could I get some advice on selecting for breed-standard physical traits while bichon pups are "just weaned" sized?  I have 1st pick, and have to choose in just a few days.  Skull shape ...  larger, squarer skull, or slightly smaller and more rounded?  Eye rim pigment ... how soon should I see black "eyeliner" on both eyes, and how much longer for black halo to develop?  Color ... is it true that pups with some "buff" coloring on ears tend to develop thicker coats or is this the breeder blowing smoke?   Does "buff" fade as pup gets older?   Any and all advice is welcome.  I know how to choose a good "pet", but this one I hope to make a Showgirl, too!
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 09:13:58 PM »

Could I get some advice on selecting for breed-standard physical traits while bichon pups are "just weaned" sized? 

I think the great info that Del (EDDEL) supplied in this thread would relate to a 'just weaned' puppy thumbsup  Although for some reason the pictures are missing thumbdown  I'm sure Del vain will be online in a few hours & give you some more tips for what to look out for clapping

I cant wait to 'meet' your showgirl Wub  I do hope you stick around & introduce her to us all here! swing

whistling I ended up with the runt of the litter (didnt bother me in the slightest though) but believe me, in my eyes... he'd outshine any showdog Love Eyes  So whatever puppy Pacifier you pick, you'll be head over heels in loveword2: as soon as you set eyes on her! icon12

DEL-ish-ified

Puppylove
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »

Quote from: MisTrish link=topic=785.msg71259#msg71259
how soon should I see black "eyeliner" on both eyes, and how much longer for black halo to develop?  Color ... is it true that pups with some "buff" coloring on ears tend to develop thicker coats or is this the breeder blowing smoke?   Does "buff" fade as pup gets older?

Well, I'm no expert...that's for sure....Princess is my one and only but, I can tell you my experience.....

Princess had wonderfully black "eyeliner and lipstick" (as my daughter calls it) and nose when I adopted her at 8 weeks...and I don't know if black can get blacker, but her colour sure is licorice dark now!!!  And, when we first saw Princess, she had "blonde" on her ears and a smudge of it on her back.  As she grew, the blonde completely left her ears altogether but not on her back.....but, I am a huge coffee drinker so everyone says that I spilled coffee on her to make the stain...so we always go with that.   As I understand it, even show dogs are allowed a certain % of blonde...Del will know the facts, she'll be along soon to help!
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 06:06:50 AM »

Hello Trish!  How exciting yahoo it must be for you to be picking out your fluff!!
I'm no expert by any means blush (I hope to show someday blush), but here are my thoughts.....

Could I get some advice on selecting for breed-standard physical traits while bichon pups are "just weaned" sized?...... this one I hope to make a Showgirl, too!
Picking out a show prospect from a litter of Bichon Pacifier pups
First of all, you must bear in mind that a 'promising' puppy @ 6 or 8 weeks of age may or may not No necessarily turn out to be show quality (the head can coarsen, muzzle can grow too long, coat can change, pigment can fade, and the list goes on!).  Even the most experienced of breeders make mistakes sometimes, identifying a show prospect.  But if you have the Help of your breeder (in identifying that showgirl vain) you're half way there! original

Here are more points (off the top of my head blush that is what I can remember, and referring to the BREED STANDARD (here's a discussion of the breed standard on our board Yeah)

bulb The SKULL behind the eyes should be broad and the MUZZLE should be short at this age.  As mentioned in said thread, the EAR leathers should reach halfway down the muzzle.

bulb EYES should be round(-shaped, not almond) and not showing any white when looking forward.  Look for the equilateral triangle 'formed' by the eyes and nose.  Eyes that are set too wide apart or too close AND muzzle that is too long will give a 'wrong' look.

bulb Look for a scissor-bite in pup's MOUTH.  But remember, the eruption of adult teeth (between 4 to 6 months), replacing the deciduous teeth, might very well change a 'bite' (arrow undershot & overshot are covered in the said/referenced "BREED STANDARD discussion thread" I think). 

bulb PIGMENT on the nose, lips, eye-rims and even paw pads must be unbroken black.  Excellent pigmentation is often manifested on the skin too.  PS: If ya find one with black nails, I'd say you're very lucky!

bulb A puppy COAT is rather difficult to 'judge' at this young age as it can change.  A thick, soft, dense coat is of course preferable to a thin, sparse coat.  More often than not, there'll be beige/apricot markings on puppies, which usually fade as the pup matures.  In AKC's breed standard, any color in excess of 10% of the entire coat of a mature exhibit is a fault.  But here in Singapore (which follows the U.K. breed standard) a show Bichon has to be 100% white.

to be continued blush.......

bulb I was gonna talk about LEGS but saw in the above 1st post it's covered.  Besides it being straight (when viewed from the front), the "feet" must not turn in or out (we had quite a heat discussion about Bichons having "Queen Anne's feet" sometime back).  Also, the back legs should have a good bend of stifle (look at pics of show Bichons, while they're stacked).

bulb TAIL as mentioned in the "BREED STANDARD discussion thread" should not be kinked or curled too tightly.  A high-set tail will give the desired 'curved over back' plume look. 

bulb Last but not least (and often overlooked I think by new owners) is overall SIZE.  The pup's shape should be square.  Meaning, its height from withers down to the ground and its length from withers to the tailset should be equal.  If the puppy appears long in back or short on leg, chances are these faults will remain.

bulb For those thinking of getting a male puppy, check that his TESTICLES are descended into the scrotum.  That said, some pups' testicle (could be one or could be both) don't descend till much later or not at all.  Pups with retained testicles (read this thread on our board about retained testicles) cannot be shown.

The one other thing that's not explicitly expressed in the BREED STANDARD per se is 'attitude'.  Bred well, all Bichon Frise Pacifier puppies will have that signature gay, cheerful temperamant.  But that one puppy who is more 'bossy' wink2 (observe the whole litter, their interaction etc),-- all other points (above) being equal -- is the one who's more likely to do well in a showring.  Watching a confident Bichon strut his/her stuff Kicking is poetry in motion Stick Out Tongue (CLICK HERE to be mesmerized by a showring full of Bichons! Drool)

Hope this helps Trish flowers

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:25:04 AM by EDDEL » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: