Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 19, 2019, 09:34:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GROOMING 101: SCISSORING (drawings! and more drawings!)  (Read 21229 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »

More drawings as promised swing....

This drawing shows where the coat 'is'/'ends' in relation to your Bichon's fluff body.

(if you're not keeping your fluff fluff in a show cut, or even a modified show-clip, then this "coat outline" may not be for you blush.) 

How your flufferbutt fluff looks finally (outline-wise) also depends on his/her body shape to begin with blush.  So, it helps if you know the breed standard.... because grooming/scissoring to a certain extent wink2 is about accentuating your fluff's strengths and/or 'hiding' his/her faults shhh.  Often times, it is the attention to detail (eg: proper angulations, coat length etc) that makes a winning cut.... the difference between NICE thumbsup and

more drawings from Lindsey.... with her self-explanatory notes inscribed inside original.

Again, HAPPY SCISSORING everyone!!

I just nodding know Yeah these drawings of Lindsey will be so helpful for our home-groomers! swing

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:42:41 AM by EDDEL » Logged

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »

clapping I've seen these drawings before rock and actually printed them out!  eyebrows

swing Thanks for "putting them together" for us Del!  rock

bluebell
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Lindsey is the best and her drawings and explanantions are always so clear and easy to follow. Del, I have the body diagrams as well if you need them.
ehyde
ehyde
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »

Del these diagrams are great.  The only thing I didn't understand was trimming the eyelashes.  Are you suppose to trim eyelashes?  Trevor has really long ones but I was afraid if I cut them, when they grew back they might grow towards his eyes instead of upwards.
                                                                                      Eileen

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »

Susan, Danielle, Eileen, I think nodding these drawings are GREAT thumbup too.  Which is why I'm so excited cubba our members here get to be beneficiaries of Lindsey's talent!!

wave Eileen, I know a few of us here do nodding trim our fluffers' eyelashes.  Personally blush, I've never had a problem with Bianca's eyelashes growing inwards (instead of upwards) after trimming. Then again, her lashes vain are soft, not at all hard/wiry (which might cause irritation if it's in contact with the eye(s) unsure) blush

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »

Great drawings!
Thanks for getting permission and posting them Del. (You always play by the rules!) thumbsup
I think I'll never have a need for them, I'm too freaked out to try this myself. Fear
I spazzed out when a pro gave her a poodle cut, who would I blame when I made her look like a crestie. (which I would) Laughing

dessyrell
NOVICE

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

thumbup thumbup THANK YOU, DEL! i will print these out and try to use them on Murphy, of course Flex! his head is getting too big  Laugh Hysterical, so i will have to do something, i was kind of scared to touch it, but i will now Doh...maybe you can post the body diagrams bluebell is talking about Yeah Yeah!

thanks again...i think it's time for a bath and a trim! god help me!  tongue1

Donnalee
I Love New York!
ENTHUSIAST

I love my Harley!!

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

I have a very stupid question on this.  Do you trim while the hair is wet, or dry?

Tom_B

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »

Just extraordinary ... especially for early students like me ... terrific job making this info avilable!  I sure hope we will also see the body diagrams ( sorry, if they are here and I missed them ).

Best regards,   rock
Tom B
bluebell
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »

I have a very stupid question on this.  Do you trim while the hair is wet, or dry?

Dry, preferably fluff dried (if you towel/air dry you won't get the same results).
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »

Dry, preferably fluff dried (if you towel/air dry you won't get the same results).

nodding ...  shhh I've tried to cut him air dried/not combed out and you definately get a choppy crazy look when you finally DO comb him out!   blink Laughing

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:34:55 PM »

Well Susan, Whatever method you use is obviously the right way, because Max is perfect. vain
(Do I sound like a broken record?) Laughing
I'm wondering if Rae does Riley dry. thinking
I mean anyone with eyes can see those two furboys are splendid looking.
After all... Belle & Bianca loveword2: them, along with everyone else.
We know they are never wrong... right? wink2

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:47:43 AM »

maybe you can post the body diagrams bluebell is talking about Yeah Yeah!
...I sure hope we will also see the body diagrams ( sorry, if they are here and I missed them ).
wave Lucia and Tom, the "how to trim body" see drawings are up now! cubba

....because Max is perfect. vain (Do I sound like a broken record?) Laughing
Ya sound like me actually!! Laugh and Bounce  I think Max is PERFECT!! Love Eyes Wub Drool
(and of course Belle's man is fro-licious manfro too! Stick Out Tongue)

dessyrell
NOVICE

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »

alright, Del...can't wait to see them. oh, i scrolled down...there they are!  cheerleader

i did trim murphy's "head" yesterday and it turned out good blink! really! i think combing to hair to the side and trim what didn't fit it in did the trick! his head is still big compared to the rest of the body but i evened his coat out a little bit more and we are getting THERE! just a few more weeks Mad...i am ashamed to say i didn't have time to give him a bath yesterday but i will this weekend clown...

thanks again flowers...really, don't know what i would have done without you (as in this community and its members)...well, maybe i do know...would have had a shaved rat-looking dog that nobody would have known what it was... Laugh Hysterical Laugh Hysterical  Laughing Laughing blush2 

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 10:28:26 PM »

Well Susan, Whatever method you use is obviously the right way, because Max is perfect. vain
(Do I sound like a broken record?) Laughing
I'm wondering if Rae does Riley dry. thinking
I mean anyone with eyes can see those two furboys are splendid looking.
After all... Belle & Bianca loveword2: them, along with everyone else.
We know they are never wrong... right? wink2

whistling  I smelt a compliment  blush , it lead me to this thread.  Laughing

Del this is great  thumbsup , what was really great for me  blush , was I already do a lot of those techniques and I didn't even know I was meant to Laughing ...I have just started giving Riley more of a ledge too, nothing major but it helps his head look more rounded and clears his eyes more.  nodding  I was amazed to see I was grooming his chest closer just like it shows too  Rolled Eyes , And I have never trimmed his legs thin always leave them thick and fluffy  nodding  I think for me it has always been about following his body shape, and keeping fluff on the bits that make him look  well like a bichon  Laughing  and lucky for me he seems pretty easy to do that for.  manfro

I have to say though  blush (now I will be the broken record)  I have never heat dried Riley  Laughing , he has hated the hair dryer from day one, although his breeder obviously did fluff dry him, she is a groomer so probably has a nice quiet dryer.  nodding

I against all recommendations, rules and regulations  whistling , comb Riley out fully, (dry and dirty)  then cut, then bath, then comb as he drys and trim any missed bits for a few hours/days  whistling afterwards till I am happy.  nodding ..usually last a couple of weeks and I am trimming him again.  Laughing  His coat is so springy and curly he never seems to look choppy to me  No  shrug , to me he looks just how I want him to look manfro .  I always like to try and improve and try new things each trim though.  graduate  He still has baby fluff on his fro, but where I have trimmed around his eyes and ledge, he has lovely new adult wavy fluff, so it will be interesting to see how he goes once all that baby fro is gone. thinking Either way for me it is all part of being owned by him  Hug , it gives me a lot of satisfaction to groom him  nodding , well cutting anyway, the combing is a battle  frustrated, I don't have any clothes for him  cry2  so the nearest thing to dress up is hair cutting for me. Laughing 

Another Terri creation
marion

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »

Thanks for the clear drawings, they are the best help for me so far.  Would you please suggest what scissors to get to do this great undertaking and what length.  Thank you so much.   Marion & Mardi.
Nessa and Bella

My Bella my baby xxx

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

Hiya  goodone

This is really useful information and great diagrams.  My fur baby 'Bella' is 4 months old rite now, and she is so fluffy (see pic), she has started to curl too.  I bath her, trim her face and bottom myself and blow her out with a very quiet hair dryer on cool and low, I started this from her being 8 weeks old at least once a week, she really enjoys the bath and has great fun in the tub and shower (I am a very lucky girl).  Her fur is extremely fluffy now and she gets very hot, I want to home groom (I am good with clippers and scissors due to having show horses) so ideally I would like to do the very best I can for her myself, I think that it will be too soon to coup her now, I don't want to ruin her coat, I need advice really and also TIPS and HELP on achieving a 'puppy cut' and/or whatever is advisable at this age.  She is extremely tolerant she it comes to her grooming 'bless her little cottons'.  But I have to add that I will happily take her to a professional groomers if this is the way to go rite now.

Any help warmly appreciated.

Ness & Bella fluff x

Nessa and Bella

My Bella my baby xxx

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »

My fluffy fur baby Bella... her fur is extremely thick (see post above) x

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: