Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 17, 2019, 12:04:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bichons in PUPPY FARMS (what would you do?)  (Read 22689 times)
Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:09 AM »

Hi ladies sorry not be have been on for sometime but the matter of Puppy Farms is very close to my heart.  2 of my boys are very definately South West Wales ex pf dogs and Bertie is we think an Irish pf dog.  Last December one of the tv channels did an undercover story on pfs the owners and dealers and I was so enraged I wrote to Carmarthenshire County Council.  The reply I got was laughable i.e. in a county with 86 Puppy Farms (more than the whole of the rest of Wales put together) there was no problems and the S4C television programme was just that simply a tv programme.  I started an on line petition against Carmarthenshire and their handling of pfs as well as the sale of puppies to pet shops in England and Wales (banned in Scotland).
The petition was a great success and last week I drove to Carmarthen to hand the petition in to the head of their Public Protection, Philip Davies.  The meeting was cordial but was a sham on their part.  We knew before hand that CCC were running scared as these programmes have caused a lot of problems for them.  The local Carmarthenshire Journal did an interview both before and after the hand over and they are continuing to follow this matter up.  S4C television also did two interviews with me and these will be shown shortly.  I got back from Wales on Thursday late afternoon and it has been a round of phone calls and emails.  I will not rest until justice is done for these dogs.  The Bichons that are handed over to rescue from these places are the most pathetic, sorry little souls you have ever seen and I will not go away.
There I feel better now.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »

woohoo  "and I will not go away"   
Yes, yes, yes!  RosiePosie:  You go girl!!!
MaryEllen

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

Good job Tina on raising money for this cause. You rock! thumbup

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »

Good job Tina on raising money for this cause. You rock! thumbup

Thank you Terri bouquet Were hoping to do another one next year to raise more.  :cheer:Couldnt have done it without Paula, Micheal, Ben, Lucy, Chris,Marilyn, Carolanne & her mum  girls  & Sue though.  noway Used to raise funds on BB by selling Bichon items.  nodding We used to have a post we called Bichon Bidder and if anyone had anything, they could put it up for auction and send the money to Bichon Rescue.  thumbup  Sadly it's gone  sad
Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »

Ladies please support our awareness day on September 19th see my post under Heading Puppy Farm/Mill Awareness  Day :thankyou:Every little helps and if anyone has any doubts about what these poor dogs suffer I can send links to vids with many BF featured.... heartbreaking but if you really want to help you have to know what they are enduring day after day in these hellholes stop bash

laceysmomma

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »

I have a 7 year old female named Lacey I rescued from a "breeder"... she advertised online that she was giving away a female Bichon Frise and so I called her. She asked me many questions about my history as a dog owner, if I know how to properly care for dogs, etc. I thought she sounded pretty straight. But when I got there, I was disappointed. The floor of the room they kept the dogs in was covered in urine, it stank to high heaven, there were 6 plywood enclosures that numerous dogs of various breeds were kept in, up to 6 in a box. They had a box with a blanket and that was it. I don't even recall seeing a food or water dish. They did have access to the outdoors, but their individual runs couldn't have been more than 5 feet long and 2 feet wide, and covered from the actual outdoors. When I picked up Lacey she clung to me... she stank, her hair was matted and greasy, it was thin to the point you could see her skin in patches. It broke my heart. There was even a sign on the door saying they bred their animals every 12 weeks... I am unfamiliar with the breeding cycles of dogs but I was floored. The room also contained the family laundry machines. There was a kitchen sink with a nozzle for bathing, and a huge industrial blowdryer, like the kind you use to keep saw dust away from a saw. That was their grooming area. Lacey has come a long way in the 3 days I have owned her, and I am happy to have her. I have also reported this "breeder" to the humane society.

"Did you know about puppy farms/mills before you got your first Bichon?" Yes I did. My sister has a cocker that was originally from a puppy mill. She was sold at 6 weeks.

"What do you think of this 'trade'" It's horrendous. It's criminal. It's disgusting.

"How do you think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter?" If we can keep people well informed of the fact that these people and places are out there, and continue to raise awareness that may help. I also think that reporting any known activity of a puppy mill to a humane society or the police is important to help shut these places down.

"What would you do personally to help stem this trade?" I am really wanting to join an awareness group, or start my own to make people aware. And after my experience in adopting Lacey I would love to have a safe house for abused/puppy mill dogs where they can recover in a loving home, and find excellent forever homes.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Lacey is so lucky to have a lovely new home.I'm sorry any dog has to live in those conditions.I hope that breeder is shut down and better still made to live in one of her own pens.Alison

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

Thank you for caring!  MaryEllen

doggieskye
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »

Good thing someone like you who is caring got her. It's so terrible to think of how she was treated and all the other dogs are treated who are still there.  I'm glad you reported those "breeders".  It makes me really  frustrated  that there are so many mills in existance like that!   I wish that they could all just get  Bop on the head and then maybe get some sense knocked into them!  But that's not the way to do it. I think it's good that there is more awareness lately about puppymills but when I had never knew they existed until 2008 when I first adopted Skye. I did research on my new pet (Skye) on the Internet and later after a few months found out about Puppymills. Sad  So sad. At the same time I saw how IAMS treats their test subjects (dogs) and then I saw KFCcruelty.com learning how horrible Tyson treats their chickens, and then I saw more videos of animal cruelty like hog farms.   It told me that this problem is huge. It is not just a breeding issue. Animals are treated so horribly. It was never meant to be like that. We were supposed to take care of them, yet, they are not usually treated well.  I don't even like the fact that animals are slaughtered for food but I understand this. After seeing the last thing on tv about a hog farm in Ohio (  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibk7HFrTo-I  ) , I make sure I only buy meat that comes from animals who are treated humanely, for me and Skye.  Other than that, I feel at a loss at how to deal with these problems and how to help stop them. I do not understand how humans can be such monsters.  Who are the wild animals?   Very sad.
Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

Just to update you since adopting Tobi who was an ex Welsh (Carmarthenshire) puppy farm stud dog thrown out at age 5 (allegedly),.  I have since come to the conclusion he was released as he needed major surgery to remove prolapsed discs in his neck and of course the puppy farmer was not going to spend thousands of pounds to do that, just chuck him out and replace him with another. Needless to say he has had the required surgery and is now a very different boy, cheeky.  I have gone on to to adopt a further 3, Louie who was a puppy farm reject at 8weeks because he could only drag himself along on his front legs - his back legs being fused. So he was discarded by the pf as being worth nothing to them.  Louie is now a healthy 2 yr old (he had his 2nd birthday 1/8/10 a given date) he still has one wonky leg (best way to describe it is that bits are back to front ) that does not bend.  No one however has told him that he is supposed to have a problem,  Cookie was an ex pf stud dog rejected at 16months.  I tell him he was a good boy not being able to perform.  Bertie was bred on a Irish puppy farm and has some problems mostly with men he was in rescue kennels in Ireland for 3 years before I had him brought to Scotland to foster, eventually he just had to stay.
I now dedicate all my spare time to campaigning against these hellholes.  Please visit us on www.puppylovecampaigns.org where we are very pro active and have had some notable successes.

Thanks for allowing me to twitter on.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »

Hey, you remind me of someone I know...wait it's coming to me...!Sandie (Freedom)!  Except now she has 5!  But Willy isn't staying...right!  You gals are saints.  Thank you for what you do!

Hailey C

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »

"Did you know about puppy farms/mills before you got your first Bichon?"
  Yes unfornatuely when I got Bailey puppy farms were common in Florida  Crying When I got Bailey the breeder was recommended by my vet I went to the breeders house sat down for about 2 hours and he answered any questions I had about the breed.

"What do you think of this 'trade'?
  It's horrible and makes me angry no animal should be treated like that.

"How do you think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter?"
  I think the best way would be to inform the local SPCA or police department.

"What would you do personally to help stem this trade?"
  I am more than willing to foster dogs that have been in a mill and joining an awarness group.
Elaine Welch
Little Toby

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »

I live in Lancaster County, home of the puppy mill.  Just the other day 80 some animals, all kinds, including farm animals were living in a trailer and a 1 yr old baby. They planned on buying a farm.  Not a puppy mill just an example.  You hear of a puppy mill closing every few weeks or so.  All it takes is a complaint to the warden and they are closed and a rescue groups called. The law was changed with the dust up after Oprah. People who know what's going on just don't make the calls. That's why there are so many rescue groups around here.  God knows the problem has been made known around, even Oprah was here, but just not enough people care.
Look at the way kids are treated. A man was charged with killing his 6 WEEK old son not  long ago. We hear this abuse just about every week, so there is not much hope for animals when people can do these things to their kids.  We live in a sick world. Sorry for such a bummer.

Elaine Welch
Lititz, PA 17543

Named 2013 The Coolest town in the US!
steveross

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »

There is a very good facebook page called SPEC - Stop Puppy Farming - End the Cruelty. If you are on facebook then please like and share.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: