Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 06:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bichons in PUPPY FARMS (what would you do?)  (Read 24177 times)
karen_thompson
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »

Did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ?    I had heard of them, but not given much thought  cry2  I really didn't realize just how cruel and deplorable they were.

What do ya think of this "trade"?   I think the millers who keep animals in these conditions should be SHOT  mobster

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise?  Education is definitely the key.  If people (real animal lovers) who wanted a pet only realized where those pet shop puppies and other internet-sold puppies came from they would not support the industry by buying their pups this way.

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'?  My last speech in Speech class this past Spring semester was on puppy mills.  I spoke and showed pics of just how awful this industry is.  I urged the class to not buy puppies or anything else from a pet store that sells puppies.  I showed pics of some of the puppies/dogs that were available for adoption at our local shelter and urged them to adopt instead of buy.  The whole class was captivated by this subject and we spent 30 minutes just talking about it afterwards.  I really think I got through to many of them--I hope so anyways.  Aside from educating people about this, I also donate to Small Paws.  I can't afford much, but I also can't look at my girls and not give anything to help the other Bichons that need so much help.  I just think "What if it was Cassie or Callie that needed the help?" 

Thanks Del for bringing up this very important subject.  It needs to stay fresh in everyone's minds so that we don't forget about the other doggies out there in the world that are not as fortunate as our Bichon.ca babies.   closedeyes

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »

....My last speech in Speech class this past Spring semester was on puppy mills.  I spoke and showed pics of just how awful this industry is.  I urged the class to not buy puppies or anything else from a pet store that sells puppies.  I showed pics of some of the puppies/dogs that were available for adoption at our local shelter and urged them to adopt instead of buy.  The whole class was captivated by this subject and we spent 30 minutes just talking about it afterwards.  I really think I got through to many of them--I hope so anyways. 
Karen, that's the best thumbup thing to do yet.... speaking to a captive audience.  I wish Happy 2 I had an opportunity like you.... but my assignments/projects back when I was doing my MBA course was all about finance yawn, marketing yawn, management yawn, etc etc etc. 

I think it's so great you did what you did thumbup clapping thumbup.  More people need to know about the ills and atrocities of puppy mills/farms Jail Bird 2.

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »

I have such a hard time with this subject. Crying
I got this email yesterday. I wasn't going to pass it on, but Del is right.
The best way to stop this is to get it out of the closet.
So, here it is. Click on the link if ya want to see it. Get your Kleenex ready.

View this message online:
Humane Scociety of The United States

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »

I know, every now and again I need a reminder.
The crappy part is, I had a friend who opened up a pet shop, (many years ago)
I helped her set it up and get it going, she has 3 stores now, and she sells puppies.
I didn't know then what I know now. I did call her on the phone after I got Belle.
She claims she gets her dogs from a breeded. But I don't believe it. noway
Theres only one thing that makes me think she may be on the up and up, is my brother
got his black Lab, Maddie from V.I.Pets, and she is perfect and healthy.
What I'm thinking is Speedy got lucky. I have a hard time believing though that she is the only one who does get her pups from a breeder.
From what I've heard is that reputable breeders won't sell to pet shops. so there ya have it.
confused clear as mud!

bluebell
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 06:20:34 PM »

This is my opninion and the opninion of the few breeder's I've met and worked with (I used to be a dog show junkie...). A responsible breeder is commited to each dog and puppy they produce for the entirety of it's life. Responsible breeder's have contracts stating that if for any reason you are to rehome the dog, you must return it to them (and not to a shelter, etc.). They carefully screen homes for personality/lifestyle/to see if someone is even fit to have a dog. None of those things can be accomplished if they sold them to a pet store who will sell them to anyone with enough money.
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »

....She claims she gets her dogs from a breeded. But I don't believe it. noway  .....From what I've heard is that reputable breeders won't sell to pet shops.
Just about EVERY, in fact, yes nodding, EVERY article I've read book says reputable/responsible breeders will not sell their pups to pet stores.  I think (and I could be wrong blush) some pet store owners may not even know EXACTLY where their 'stock' comes from.  There's such a 'person' known as the broker* and he could very well be the only person the pet store owner (eg: Terri's friend) is in contact with. 

canismajor's definition of broker arrow One who buys puppies from commercial kennels and sells to retail outlets or other kennels. Brokers ship puppies on airlines or by truckload throughout the country. Brokers must be licensed by USDA and must abide by the shipping regulations in the Animal Welfare Act.

Read book this canismajor.com article see for more definitions of people involved in this Jail Bird 2 'trade'.

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »

So last night I went to Meijer (A local grocery/dept store)
and in the parking lot was a van, the writing on the side said "Cathy's Country Cockers"
No phone number though. shrug
She had a lawn chair and a cage with about 6 to 8 cocker pups in it.
So... being the big mouth that you've all grown to know and love, I pulled up next to her and started asking questions.
I asked if I could get 4 of them. She said yeah, 400 for males 500 for females.
I asked if I could take them now, she said sure, if you have the money.
So I said you're a backyard breeder aren't you? Well, she was offended as you might imagine.
I don't care.  neener
I told her that a responsible breeder won't sell to just anyone with a check. They want to make sure the pups are going to a proper home. Selling pups out of a van in the Meijer parking lot is not the way a responsible human would do it.
I told her I would be calling the A.S.P.C.A 
(which I really didn't but she was packed up and gone in 10 min.) Laughing
I think I pee'd in her cheerio's. Laugh Hysterical

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »

Way to go rock Cap'n captain! *salutes*  A woman after my own heart! heart

I bet Cathy Rolled Eyes couldn't drive off fast enough! Laughing  From your description, it sure sounds like she's in it only for the money .  When your so-called beloved breed starts supporting you (rather than vice versa), then you've surely crossed the fine line of becoming a COMMERCIAL/BACKYARD BREEDER thumbdown

Now my question to you Terri (and others reading) is.... what would ya have done if those were BICHON FRISE pups??  Buy them?  Get the woman's contact/number (and really report her to the ASPCA)?  Such a tough call isn't it? crazy

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

Wow... I never thought of that.  thinking
I didn't really even look at the pups too much. I couldn't.  cry1
If I would have, I'd have been done for it. cry2
I probably should do some searching for Cathy and her Cockers.
See where their from. I don't think their local, but who knows.

Tonia
Jay Jay , Zoe, BeeCee & Bailey's Mommy
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »

Terri, GOOD FOR YOU!!  thumbup Laugh Hysterical That lady needs a good swift kick in the you know what!  thumbsup
My daughter Sydnee(who will be 12 in Aug) spent the night at a friends house and while they were on line they looked at dog fight websites (the informative sights that are against fighting).  They want to form a "group or club" and raise money to help rescue groups.  I told her about puppy mills and how wrong they are.  I also took her to the Small Paws website where there was this story.  http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/pup3/millers.html   The reality of it all is so sad!  Crying People truely just do not know!  Both of my daughters were in tears during that story.  I couln't even finish reading it, Sydnee had to do it.  They want to print that story out and take it to everyone who is looking in pet stores. 

Love, Jay Jay, Zoe, BeeCee & Bailey
bluebell
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »

Terri, I sure hope she thought about you for the next few days, wondering about what it is she's really doing. Too bad you didn't write down her license plate before getting out of the car. Next time though.
amandafaye21
NOVICE

Amanda in service of Sir Scruffles!

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

Good for you Terri! Cathy and her poor little Cockers ...

I was really naive about puppy mills and pet shops selling puppies until I got Sir Scruffles and Chestnut Cuddles.

Sad thing is even if you report them most the time they do nothing. I reported Chestnuts breeder and nada. In fact from seeing her page I think she has already bred Chestnuts mum again and he isnt even one yet!

Kristen363
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »

I did know about puppy mills and that's pretty much why we were looking for a breeder.  When we went to meet Baxter, we didnt realize she hadnt bred him until he was literally in my arms.  He was grunting, making baby noises and we'd lost our last golden a month before...I was an easy sell.  --She does breed some breeds....she breeds German Shepard, Pugs, Shiba Inus...maybe one other breed (didnt know she bred so many walking in either) she also brokers, gets her pups from lambriar. Sad Which is where most pet stores also get them.
  I adore Baxter and wouldnt give him up for the world, but had I known where I was going before I got there, I wouldnt have gone.
Kristen

Kristen
LunasMum (Traci)
EXPERT

Little Luna Lovegood

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »

When I started looking for a dog, I didn't know a thing about puppymills. Didn't even know they exisited.  No Once I joined a forum on the breed I wanted (chow chow) I learned fast. When the chow I was suppose to get fell through we got Luna from the shelter.

When it was time to get a second fluff (cause one is never enough) We started looking at Coton de Tulears. There is a lady about an hour and half from me that breeds and sells them. I noticed a couple of things from her that threw up red flags...

1. She advertised in a local paper.
2. She never mentioned "mom" & "dad" fluff by name just weight.
3. She APRI registered.
4. She was not affiliated with any club.

Now with these things she could have been a hobby breeder, or a back yard breeder. But as I watched her sight (while we saved our pennys) I noticed a new litter every couple of months. But her site only has one female shown, and all the litters had mom & dad of the same weight. Even if she breed that girl every heat cycle she couldn't produce new litters that quickly. I think she's a broker. Set up to look like a hobby/home breeder. "Has parents on site" but I don't believe for one minute that those are the parents for every litter she sells.

I did email her and ask about club affiliations, showing, health certifications and such. (twice) I never recieved an answer. She obviously has to sell to impulse/unaware buyers.

That's why Pippin's breeder lives so far away, she was the closest with all her health cetifications, club affiliations, shows her fluffs and requires you to pick up your fluff in person. I met Pippin's mom and her other two females and her one male (not Pippin's dad) She took me online to show me Pippin's dad and I've spoken with his owner and his breeder (from Denmark).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: