Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 06:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bichons in PUPPY FARMS (what would you do?)  (Read 24176 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: June 03, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »

My  question's to you all..... did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ? 
I guess I did, but really thought I was avoiding that. I did not know pet shops sold puppy mill puppies.

What do ya think of this "trade"? 
It sickens me  & pisses me off.  Mad

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise? 
I have a few ideas, but it's against the law.  Sneaky

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'?
I wish I was financially able to donate to this cause. But I am not. So I think bringing awareness to others every chance I get will help out.

That picture of Daisy & those puppies makes me cry. I see Belle in those faces.  bawl

bluebell
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:52:34 PM »

I always tell people about pet rescues/breed specific rescues. I've given my "responsible breeders" speech to many a client/friend asking about getting a puppy. There are many wonderful breeders who take loving care of their dogs and are looking to better the breed they love and to share their breed with others. I have a big car magnet that says "Rescue" with pawprints all over it, and I donate regualrly ($$, items, and services) to local non-kill shelters. I think awareness is the key, as most people would never buy a puppy mill puppy if they knew how it was bred.
Chellie
Tipperary, Ireland
G.O.D.

3 Little Pink Ladies

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »

My 's to you all..... in reply ... I usually avoid these threads as it's too close to home  sadangel

Did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ? 

No  ashamed I had no clue I thought ... it wouldn't happen in Ireland  Doh how wrong was I ... when I saw the conditions I just wanted to get Bon and take her home for a cuddle  plaster  To me at the time it was in good faith I thought she had been thru enough and just wanted her nightmare to be over  shrug

I think it's a disgrace  ranting2 How anybody can treat them this way to make money is beyond me  crazy  Would it hurt to make their lives a bit more comfortable I mean they can still make money if that is all they want but treat them kindly  Shutup

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise?  

I think awareness worldwide and more efforts from Human Societies and Rescue Orgs ... I'd never again go there for a baby ...  Rolled Eyes but nodding I would still take an adult if only to get them out of there  Crying for a better life after all it's what they deserve

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'

I'd love to be able to financially help out but at this time I have trouble paying the rent and bills  Hmmm  thinking maybe if I can get more solvent in the future I would donate to local shelter  blush

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »

I may be wrong, blush  but I am pretty sure we don't have puppy mills in New Zealand  No , certainly not to that degree.  noway  I know our main chain of pet stores here does buy pups from breeders, but they have a buyer who goes to the breeders and selects a pup, (only one from each breeder) and they pay full price...here if you buy a pup from a pet store it will cost you more than going to a breeder.  nodding  The petstores don't make any money out of the pups (or other animals they sell) generally, especially if they don't sell quickly, they use them as a draw card to get people in to the stores and make their money selling the food and accessories.  We paid $1100 for Riley from a breeder, (who owns a pet store, (she has her own private store not a chain, and sells mainly small pets, mice, rabbits etc and food and toys) but does not sell her pups in the store  No , they are raised with love at home, and inside her home, treated like kings and queens Hug )  ANyway we paid $1100, which was about normal for a well  bred Bichon, you could buy one for $900 though.  In the Animates Pet Stores (none in our city) they were selling for $1200 plus.  A friend of mine bought a Maltese/ tea cup poodle mix ffrom Animates and paid more than that and he wasnt even a pure breed.  No  There are a lot of mixed breeds sold here and breeders who seem to breed them on purpose with their pedigrees to produce designer dogs, so called originals, which annoys me  Mad , but that is just my opinion. blush2

I think with NZ being so small, the SPCA are pretty on to any cruelty to animals.  They remove cats from people if they have too many and the minute someone reports too many dogs or any sort of cruelty  they step in.  thumbsup  I am sure we have back yard breeders, (we did with cats when I was  breeding) but most of the time they are breeding to make a little money but usually the animals are well cared for... I just don't agree with them cos they are playing with the animals lives and they don't know what conditions they could be passing down with their breeding. shrug

I wish I could step in and grab Daisy out of that horrible place.  cry2

Another Terri creation
Tonia
Jay Jay , Zoe, BeeCee & Bailey's Mommy
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:09:54 AM »

OMG!  That picture of Daisy!  sadangel She just stole my heart.  That poor girl and all the others that are in the same conditions.  Crying I just want to take them all  Hug and give them a warm, loving and cush home! 

did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ?  I heard about them, but wasn't educated and didn't realize how big and real they are.  I had no idea about the conditions and how they treat the animals.  I couldn't even fathom that.  I am in shock, still, that people can treat them the way that they do and then be able to sleep at night.

What do ya think of this "trade"?  It is just SICK & WRONG!!  and it really angers me!  

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise?  I like Terri's answer!  But people need to be better educated.  

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'?I always refer my friends to rescue groups to adopt pets.  I got both my babies from good in-home breeders.  Had I known the heartache out there, I probably would have adopted from a rescue.  I wish I could do more to help. 

Love, Jay Jay, Zoe, BeeCee & Bailey
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »

Thank You Terri, Danielle, Chellie, Raewyn, and Tonia for sharing your thoughts/views. flowers

I agree with Terri and Danielle completely about
AWARENESS being key! nodding

Not No many people, present Bichon owners inclusive, know about the ills and atrocities of puppy Jail Bird 2 mills/farms.  I myself blush learnt about it only after I got Bianca Wub

But having been touched by these angels angelwings and as "guardians" of the breed now, I feel strongly we can all do a part rock, regardless how small blush.  Like a wave that gains momentum and can turn the tide .... our little 'actions' can help blush.  "tall" order I know blush... but again, every little bit counts.  I don't mean to say we should all become fanatical wacko "preachers", but any bit of information you disseminate/share with family+friends (who are thinking of getting a fluff, be it a Bichon or another breed), is a start blush.

... when I saw the conditions I just wanted to get Bon and take her home for a cuddle  plaster 
Chellie, I've blush said it many times before..... YOU'RE THE BEST THING Hug that's happened to Bonnie fluff!!

This other fluff (also looks like unsure a Bichon sadangel) was not so lucky.....

(no copyright violation is intended.... prose and pic are copied hereunder solely for education purpose)

Emma was first seen skulking in field near Newcastle Emlyn, Dyfed. She was terrified when approached by any human and it took over half a day to catch her.

Cowering and shaking when first cradled in a rescuers arms, she had a filthy, matted coat and a glazed look in her yes. She felt like a covered skeleton, her small body being so thin and fragile. Her teats hung limply down like wet tissue paper.

Carried to safety and placed in a warm bed, she lay cowed and frightened. A small bowl of food disappeared within seconds. Later that day at a visit to the vet, it was revealed that Emma was blind, had a severe skin infection, was covered in fleas and had the beginnings of endometriosis. A month later, after treatment, rehabilitation and rest she was placed with an elderly lady who had recently lost a poodle.

Emma died two years later; the womb infection eventually took its toll. But she had experienced love, care and affection from her adoring owner.

More 'math' to help some of ya completely 'understand' just how deplorable thumbdown the "trade" is and how unscrupulous some of these puppy millers/farmers are! Mad   (all for the sake of MONEY Rolled Eyes Rolled Eyes Rolled Eyes)

A Bichon comes into heat (say 1st January) and it lasts for 21 says (ie. 3 weeks).  Gestation, ie. pregnancy, lasts approximately 60 to 67 days (ie. 9 weeks) ..... (it is now end March).  After whelping (ie. giving birth), she nurses the pups for 6 to 8 weeks before they're all taken away to be sold (mid to end May). 

Before even her little body has time to recuperate No and 're-nourish' No, her heat comes again in June (assuming she's on a 6-month-cycle, which is the average).  That's right, the next heat/cycle for female Bichons begins 6 (or 7) months from the start of the last heat cycle, not the end of that cycle.  The interval (be it 6 months or 7 months) stays the same even if she becomes pregnant and delivers a litter.

Then the whole "process" starts all over again Crying (recall DAISY in first post..... 12 litters in 7 years, minus 1 year of puppyhood, that's 2 litters every year for each of her adult life Crying).  How would us women like to be pregnant constantly?  How can our bodies take it?  How healthy can our babies (born one after another) be?

Please Help to spread the word about the ills & atrocities of puppy farms/mills.  One less puppy bought from a puppy mill/farm or pet store (who gets their puppies from puppy mills/farms) is one small step in putting these puppy mills/farm out of business.
PS: I really blush2 don't mean to sound like a preacher...... just want to share blush

Tonia
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:35:59 PM »

I went on Puppywatch lastnight and read about Emma.  Crying I also saw some of the other photos on there.  sadangel I couldn't stay on there long though.  Reading those stories and seeing the pictures is a true reality check that These mills/farms really do exist.  It is so hard to believe that people can be this cruel.

SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »

My  question's to you all..... did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ? 

Like Terri .... I guess I did, but really thought I was avoiding that.  ... however, I did not  No actually physically go to the kennel and meet the mom and dad  closedeyes like they say you should.  closedeyes I just had to go on "gut instincts"  ashamed from the phone conversations with her and recommendations from other owners ... 'cause I met the owner 1/2 way (she was in Canada).

It just breaks my heart  sadangel to hear about these stories and know it does go on.  Crying 

Raise awareness, educate others. Donate if you are able.

Since we've adopted Buddy clown from Small Paws Hug .. I have had lots nodding of opportunities to educate people, discuss puppy mills, and encourage others to not buy from your average "puppy in the window" pet stores and to seek out reputable breeders and/or adopt Hug from Rescue Organizations/Sheltersthumbsup

And I especially have to take my hat off  hat to people like Chellie and others, who adopt an older puppy mill dog and rescue them from that horrible situation and fill their remaining years with pure love inlove blush .

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »

....Reading those stories and seeing the pictures is a true reality check that These mills/farms really do exist.  It is so hard to believe that people can be this cruel.
YES sad .... there're many other US-centric websites.... stoppuppymills.org is one example.  Pics/stories/videos in there are heartbreaking Crying.

Thanks Susan for sharing your thoughts too!! flowers

JenBow
NOVICE

I love Bichon.c Message Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:24:23 PM »

My 's to you all..... did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ? Yes, I did know of puppy mills, but I know much more now.

What do ya think of this "trade"? I think it's disgusting and immoral.

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise?  I think educating the public is the key.  We also need to petition the government to actually enforce the laws that are in place and pass new, stricter regulations.  Some progressive European countries (Sweden comes to mind) have laws in place that regulate who can breed dogs and I don't believe they have a big problem with puppy mills there.

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'?  Well, I try to tell people about puppy mills and responsible breeders whenever I get a chance.  I adopted my Chase from a rescue group (he probably sired thousands of puppies  Crying) I volunteer with a local all-breed rescue group too.  original

Charlie Boys' Mom

Charlie boy

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »

Im just sick from reading this....... Mad

Sherry M.
G.O.D.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »

did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon

Yes, we have.  But where I live you will be more likely to find rescue farms where people try to help strays and are eventually overwhelmed, which results in poor conditions.

Although I'm sure there are quite a few puppy farms/mills hidden as well.

Like everybody else it really upsets me.  Every dog deserves to be loved and properly cared for.

Education, pure and simple. 

I got Halo from an in home breeder.  We met her when we picked up Halo. (she is also a groomer so Halo was all nice and clean)  Ozzy came from a registered breeder, which is where we will be getting all our bichon pups from.  Tanner was given to us by a lady who rescues cats.  Any other dog will be either rescue or breeder.

Thanks Del.
Carol
Keep Smiling :)
G.O.D.

Angels without wings are called Friends.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »

did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ?

I did hear about puppy farms and knew that was where a lot of the pet stores got their puppies. I have seen documentaries, newspaper articles, etc. about the horrors within. I'm not aware of any locally, but like others, I'm sure they exist.

It is so sad and unfair to think that people can treat a helpless animal this way, to make the almighty dollar.

I think awareness and education are the key. Boycotting the pet stores who deal with these places, lobbying our government to fine/enforce clean-up/close down puppy mills. The people who run them are, IMHO, criminals. Why aren't they treated as such?

I always suggest to friends/co-workers/family that they adopt from a Rescue shelter, or from the SPCA.  I had visited both places for quite some time.  Stay away from shops who get their animals from mills. Donate to SPCA if I had lots of $$$ - every little bit helps.

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 06:13:37 AM »

It's heartening Happy 2 to read about the little actions/things that each of you is 'taking'/doing.

Thank You Jen, Luara, Sherry, and Carol for sharing your thoughts too!

karen_thompson
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »

Did you know about puppy farms/mills before your got your first Bichon ?    I had heard of them, but not given much thought  cry2  I really didn't realize just how cruel and deplorable they were.

What do ya think of this "trade"?   I think the millers who keep animals in these conditions should be SHOT  mobster

How do ya think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter of our beloved Bichon Frise?  Education is definitely the key.  If people (real animal lovers) who wanted a pet only realized where those pet shop puppies and other internet-sold puppies came from they would not support the industry by buying their pups this way.

What would ya do personally, to help stem this 'trade'?  My last speech in Speech class this past Spring semester was on puppy mills.  I spoke and showed pics of just how awful this industry is.  I urged the class to not buy puppies or anything else from a pet store that sells puppies.  I showed pics of some of the puppies/dogs that were available for adoption at our local shelter and urged them to adopt instead of buy.  The whole class was captivated by this subject and we spent 30 minutes just talking about it afterwards.  I really think I got through to many of them--I hope so anyways.  Aside from educating people about this, I also donate to Small Paws.  I can't afford much, but I also can't look at my girls and not give anything to help the other Bichons that need so much help.  I just think "What if it was Cassie or Callie that needed the help?" 

Thanks Del for bringing up this very important subject.  It needs to stay fresh in everyone's minds so that we don't forget about the other doggies out there in the world that are not as fortunate as our Bichon.ca babies.   closedeyes

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »

....My last speech in Speech class this past Spring semester was on puppy mills.  I spoke and showed pics of just how awful this industry is.  I urged the class to not buy puppies or anything else from a pet store that sells puppies.  I showed pics of some of the puppies/dogs that were available for adoption at our local shelter and urged them to adopt instead of buy.  The whole class was captivated by this subject and we spent 30 minutes just talking about it afterwards.  I really think I got through to many of them--I hope so anyways. 
Karen, that's the best thumbup thing to do yet.... speaking to a captive audience.  I wish Happy 2 I had an opportunity like you.... but my assignments/projects back when I was doing my MBA course was all about finance yawn, marketing yawn, management yawn, etc etc etc. 

I think it's so great you did what you did thumbup clapping thumbup.  More people need to know about the ills and atrocities of puppy mills/farms Jail Bird 2.

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »

I have such a hard time with this subject. Crying
I got this email yesterday. I wasn't going to pass it on, but Del is right.
The best way to stop this is to get it out of the closet.
So, here it is. Click on the link if ya want to see it. Get your Kleenex ready.

View this message online:
Humane Scociety of The United States

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »

I know, every now and again I need a reminder.
The crappy part is, I had a friend who opened up a pet shop, (many years ago)
I helped her set it up and get it going, she has 3 stores now, and she sells puppies.
I didn't know then what I know now. I did call her on the phone after I got Belle.
She claims she gets her dogs from a breeded. But I don't believe it. noway
Theres only one thing that makes me think she may be on the up and up, is my brother
got his black Lab, Maddie from V.I.Pets, and she is perfect and healthy.
What I'm thinking is Speedy got lucky. I have a hard time believing though that she is the only one who does get her pups from a breeder.
From what I've heard is that reputable breeders won't sell to pet shops. so there ya have it.
confused clear as mud!

bluebell
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 06:20:34 PM »

This is my opninion and the opninion of the few breeder's I've met and worked with (I used to be a dog show junkie...). A responsible breeder is commited to each dog and puppy they produce for the entirety of it's life. Responsible breeder's have contracts stating that if for any reason you are to rehome the dog, you must return it to them (and not to a shelter, etc.). They carefully screen homes for personality/lifestyle/to see if someone is even fit to have a dog. None of those things can be accomplished if they sold them to a pet store who will sell them to anyone with enough money.
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »

....She claims she gets her dogs from a breeded. But I don't believe it. noway  .....From what I've heard is that reputable breeders won't sell to pet shops.
Just about EVERY, in fact, yes nodding, EVERY article I've read book says reputable/responsible breeders will not sell their pups to pet stores.  I think (and I could be wrong blush) some pet store owners may not even know EXACTLY where their 'stock' comes from.  There's such a 'person' known as the broker* and he could very well be the only person the pet store owner (eg: Terri's friend) is in contact with. 

canismajor's definition of broker arrow One who buys puppies from commercial kennels and sells to retail outlets or other kennels. Brokers ship puppies on airlines or by truckload throughout the country. Brokers must be licensed by USDA and must abide by the shipping regulations in the Animal Welfare Act.

Read book this canismajor.com article see for more definitions of people involved in this Jail Bird 2 'trade'.

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »

So last night I went to Meijer (A local grocery/dept store)
and in the parking lot was a van, the writing on the side said "Cathy's Country Cockers"
No phone number though. shrug
She had a lawn chair and a cage with about 6 to 8 cocker pups in it.
So... being the big mouth that you've all grown to know and love, I pulled up next to her and started asking questions.
I asked if I could get 4 of them. She said yeah, 400 for males 500 for females.
I asked if I could take them now, she said sure, if you have the money.
So I said you're a backyard breeder aren't you? Well, she was offended as you might imagine.
I don't care.  neener
I told her that a responsible breeder won't sell to just anyone with a check. They want to make sure the pups are going to a proper home. Selling pups out of a van in the Meijer parking lot is not the way a responsible human would do it.
I told her I would be calling the A.S.P.C.A 
(which I really didn't but she was packed up and gone in 10 min.) Laughing
I think I pee'd in her cheerio's. Laugh Hysterical

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »

Way to go rock Cap'n captain! *salutes*  A woman after my own heart! heart

I bet Cathy Rolled Eyes couldn't drive off fast enough! Laughing  From your description, it sure sounds like she's in it only for the money .  When your so-called beloved breed starts supporting you (rather than vice versa), then you've surely crossed the fine line of becoming a COMMERCIAL/BACKYARD BREEDER thumbdown

Now my question to you Terri (and others reading) is.... what would ya have done if those were BICHON FRISE pups??  Buy them?  Get the woman's contact/number (and really report her to the ASPCA)?  Such a tough call isn't it? crazy

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

Wow... I never thought of that.  thinking
I didn't really even look at the pups too much. I couldn't.  cry1
If I would have, I'd have been done for it. cry2
I probably should do some searching for Cathy and her Cockers.
See where their from. I don't think their local, but who knows.

Tonia
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »

Terri, GOOD FOR YOU!!  thumbup Laugh Hysterical That lady needs a good swift kick in the you know what!  thumbsup
My daughter Sydnee(who will be 12 in Aug) spent the night at a friends house and while they were on line they looked at dog fight websites (the informative sights that are against fighting).  They want to form a "group or club" and raise money to help rescue groups.  I told her about puppy mills and how wrong they are.  I also took her to the Small Paws website where there was this story.  http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/pup3/millers.html   The reality of it all is so sad!  Crying People truely just do not know!  Both of my daughters were in tears during that story.  I couln't even finish reading it, Sydnee had to do it.  They want to print that story out and take it to everyone who is looking in pet stores. 

bluebell
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »

Terri, I sure hope she thought about you for the next few days, wondering about what it is she's really doing. Too bad you didn't write down her license plate before getting out of the car. Next time though.
amandafaye21
NOVICE

Amanda in service of Sir Scruffles!

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

Good for you Terri! Cathy and her poor little Cockers ...

I was really naive about puppy mills and pet shops selling puppies until I got Sir Scruffles and Chestnut Cuddles.

Sad thing is even if you report them most the time they do nothing. I reported Chestnuts breeder and nada. In fact from seeing her page I think she has already bred Chestnuts mum again and he isnt even one yet!

Kristen363
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »

I did know about puppy mills and that's pretty much why we were looking for a breeder.  When we went to meet Baxter, we didnt realize she hadnt bred him until he was literally in my arms.  He was grunting, making baby noises and we'd lost our last golden a month before...I was an easy sell.  --She does breed some breeds....she breeds German Shepard, Pugs, Shiba Inus...maybe one other breed (didnt know she bred so many walking in either) she also brokers, gets her pups from lambriar. Sad Which is where most pet stores also get them.
  I adore Baxter and wouldnt give him up for the world, but had I known where I was going before I got there, I wouldnt have gone.
Kristen

Kristen
LunasMum (Traci)
EXPERT

Little Luna Lovegood

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »

When I started looking for a dog, I didn't know a thing about puppymills. Didn't even know they exisited.  No Once I joined a forum on the breed I wanted (chow chow) I learned fast. When the chow I was suppose to get fell through we got Luna from the shelter.

When it was time to get a second fluff (cause one is never enough) We started looking at Coton de Tulears. There is a lady about an hour and half from me that breeds and sells them. I noticed a couple of things from her that threw up red flags...

1. She advertised in a local paper.
2. She never mentioned "mom" & "dad" fluff by name just weight.
3. She APRI registered.
4. She was not affiliated with any club.

Now with these things she could have been a hobby breeder, or a back yard breeder. But as I watched her sight (while we saved our pennys) I noticed a new litter every couple of months. But her site only has one female shown, and all the litters had mom & dad of the same weight. Even if she breed that girl every heat cycle she couldn't produce new litters that quickly. I think she's a broker. Set up to look like a hobby/home breeder. "Has parents on site" but I don't believe for one minute that those are the parents for every litter she sells.

I did email her and ask about club affiliations, showing, health certifications and such. (twice) I never recieved an answer. She obviously has to sell to impulse/unaware buyers.

That's why Pippin's breeder lives so far away, she was the closest with all her health cetifications, club affiliations, shows her fluffs and requires you to pick up your fluff in person. I met Pippin's mom and her other two females and her one male (not Pippin's dad) She took me online to show me Pippin's dad and I've spoken with his owner and his breeder (from Denmark).

Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:09 AM »

Hi ladies sorry not be have been on for sometime but the matter of Puppy Farms is very close to my heart.  2 of my boys are very definately South West Wales ex pf dogs and Bertie is we think an Irish pf dog.  Last December one of the tv channels did an undercover story on pfs the owners and dealers and I was so enraged I wrote to Carmarthenshire County Council.  The reply I got was laughable i.e. in a county with 86 Puppy Farms (more than the whole of the rest of Wales put together) there was no problems and the S4C television programme was just that simply a tv programme.  I started an on line petition against Carmarthenshire and their handling of pfs as well as the sale of puppies to pet shops in England and Wales (banned in Scotland).
The petition was a great success and last week I drove to Carmarthen to hand the petition in to the head of their Public Protection, Philip Davies.  The meeting was cordial but was a sham on their part.  We knew before hand that CCC were running scared as these programmes have caused a lot of problems for them.  The local Carmarthenshire Journal did an interview both before and after the hand over and they are continuing to follow this matter up.  S4C television also did two interviews with me and these will be shown shortly.  I got back from Wales on Thursday late afternoon and it has been a round of phone calls and emails.  I will not rest until justice is done for these dogs.  The Bichons that are handed over to rescue from these places are the most pathetic, sorry little souls you have ever seen and I will not go away.
There I feel better now.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »

woohoo  "and I will not go away"   
Yes, yes, yes!  RosiePosie:  You go girl!!!
MaryEllen

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

Good job Tina on raising money for this cause. You rock! thumbup

Princess Lucy Loulou
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »

Good job Tina on raising money for this cause. You rock! thumbup

Thank you Terri bouquet Were hoping to do another one next year to raise more.  :cheer:Couldnt have done it without Paula, Micheal, Ben, Lucy, Chris,Marilyn, Carolanne & her mum  girls  & Sue though.  noway Used to raise funds on BB by selling Bichon items.  nodding We used to have a post we called Bichon Bidder and if anyone had anything, they could put it up for auction and send the money to Bichon Rescue.  thumbup  Sadly it's gone  sad
Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »

Ladies please support our awareness day on September 19th see my post under Heading Puppy Farm/Mill Awareness  Day :thankyou:Every little helps and if anyone has any doubts about what these poor dogs suffer I can send links to vids with many BF featured.... heartbreaking but if you really want to help you have to know what they are enduring day after day in these hellholes stop bash

laceysmomma

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »

I have a 7 year old female named Lacey I rescued from a "breeder"... she advertised online that she was giving away a female Bichon Frise and so I called her. She asked me many questions about my history as a dog owner, if I know how to properly care for dogs, etc. I thought she sounded pretty straight. But when I got there, I was disappointed. The floor of the room they kept the dogs in was covered in urine, it stank to high heaven, there were 6 plywood enclosures that numerous dogs of various breeds were kept in, up to 6 in a box. They had a box with a blanket and that was it. I don't even recall seeing a food or water dish. They did have access to the outdoors, but their individual runs couldn't have been more than 5 feet long and 2 feet wide, and covered from the actual outdoors. When I picked up Lacey she clung to me... she stank, her hair was matted and greasy, it was thin to the point you could see her skin in patches. It broke my heart. There was even a sign on the door saying they bred their animals every 12 weeks... I am unfamiliar with the breeding cycles of dogs but I was floored. The room also contained the family laundry machines. There was a kitchen sink with a nozzle for bathing, and a huge industrial blowdryer, like the kind you use to keep saw dust away from a saw. That was their grooming area. Lacey has come a long way in the 3 days I have owned her, and I am happy to have her. I have also reported this "breeder" to the humane society.

"Did you know about puppy farms/mills before you got your first Bichon?" Yes I did. My sister has a cocker that was originally from a puppy mill. She was sold at 6 weeks.

"What do you think of this 'trade'" It's horrendous. It's criminal. It's disgusting.

"How do you think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter?" If we can keep people well informed of the fact that these people and places are out there, and continue to raise awareness that may help. I also think that reporting any known activity of a puppy mill to a humane society or the police is important to help shut these places down.

"What would you do personally to help stem this trade?" I am really wanting to join an awareness group, or start my own to make people aware. And after my experience in adopting Lacey I would love to have a safe house for abused/puppy mill dogs where they can recover in a loving home, and find excellent forever homes.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

Lacey is so lucky to have a lovely new home.I'm sorry any dog has to live in those conditions.I hope that breeder is shut down and better still made to live in one of her own pens.Alison

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

Thank you for caring!  MaryEllen

doggieskye
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »

Good thing someone like you who is caring got her. It's so terrible to think of how she was treated and all the other dogs are treated who are still there.  I'm glad you reported those "breeders".  It makes me really  frustrated  that there are so many mills in existance like that!   I wish that they could all just get  Bop on the head and then maybe get some sense knocked into them!  But that's not the way to do it. I think it's good that there is more awareness lately about puppymills but when I had never knew they existed until 2008 when I first adopted Skye. I did research on my new pet (Skye) on the Internet and later after a few months found out about Puppymills. Sad  So sad. At the same time I saw how IAMS treats their test subjects (dogs) and then I saw KFCcruelty.com learning how horrible Tyson treats their chickens, and then I saw more videos of animal cruelty like hog farms.   It told me that this problem is huge. It is not just a breeding issue. Animals are treated so horribly. It was never meant to be like that. We were supposed to take care of them, yet, they are not usually treated well.  I don't even like the fact that animals are slaughtered for food but I understand this. After seeing the last thing on tv about a hog farm in Ohio (  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibk7HFrTo-I  ) , I make sure I only buy meat that comes from animals who are treated humanely, for me and Skye.  Other than that, I feel at a loss at how to deal with these problems and how to help stop them. I do not understand how humans can be such monsters.  Who are the wild animals?   Very sad.
Rospieposie
NOVICE

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

Just to update you since adopting Tobi who was an ex Welsh (Carmarthenshire) puppy farm stud dog thrown out at age 5 (allegedly),.  I have since come to the conclusion he was released as he needed major surgery to remove prolapsed discs in his neck and of course the puppy farmer was not going to spend thousands of pounds to do that, just chuck him out and replace him with another. Needless to say he has had the required surgery and is now a very different boy, cheeky.  I have gone on to to adopt a further 3, Louie who was a puppy farm reject at 8weeks because he could only drag himself along on his front legs - his back legs being fused. So he was discarded by the pf as being worth nothing to them.  Louie is now a healthy 2 yr old (he had his 2nd birthday 1/8/10 a given date) he still has one wonky leg (best way to describe it is that bits are back to front ) that does not bend.  No one however has told him that he is supposed to have a problem,  Cookie was an ex pf stud dog rejected at 16months.  I tell him he was a good boy not being able to perform.  Bertie was bred on a Irish puppy farm and has some problems mostly with men he was in rescue kennels in Ireland for 3 years before I had him brought to Scotland to foster, eventually he just had to stay.
I now dedicate all my spare time to campaigning against these hellholes.  Please visit us on www.puppylovecampaigns.org where we are very pro active and have had some notable successes.

Thanks for allowing me to twitter on.

MattiesMom (MaryEllen)
SassySue and MattieMay
GURU

SassySue and MattieMay

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »

Hey, you remind me of someone I know...wait it's coming to me...!Sandie (Freedom)!  Except now she has 5!  But Willy isn't staying...right!  You gals are saints.  Thank you for what you do!

Hailey C

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »

"Did you know about puppy farms/mills before you got your first Bichon?"
  Yes unfornatuely when I got Bailey puppy farms were common in Florida  Crying When I got Bailey the breeder was recommended by my vet I went to the breeders house sat down for about 2 hours and he answered any questions I had about the breed.

"What do you think of this 'trade'?
  It's horrible and makes me angry no animal should be treated like that.

"How do you think we can stop unscrupulous breeders from churning out litter after litter?"
  I think the best way would be to inform the local SPCA or police department.

"What would you do personally to help stem this trade?"
  I am more than willing to foster dogs that have been in a mill and joining an awarness group.
Elaine Welch
Little Toby

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »

I live in Lancaster County, home of the puppy mill.  Just the other day 80 some animals, all kinds, including farm animals were living in a trailer and a 1 yr old baby. They planned on buying a farm.  Not a puppy mill just an example.  You hear of a puppy mill closing every few weeks or so.  All it takes is a complaint to the warden and they are closed and a rescue groups called. The law was changed with the dust up after Oprah. People who know what's going on just don't make the calls. That's why there are so many rescue groups around here.  God knows the problem has been made known around, even Oprah was here, but just not enough people care.
Look at the way kids are treated. A man was charged with killing his 6 WEEK old son not  long ago. We hear this abuse just about every week, so there is not much hope for animals when people can do these things to their kids.  We live in a sick world. Sorry for such a bummer.

Elaine Welch
Lititz, PA 17543

Named 2013 The Coolest town in the US!
steveross

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »

There is a very good facebook page called SPEC - Stop Puppy Farming - End the Cruelty. If you are on facebook then please like and share.
Little Bella (Kathy)
NOVICE

Gotta luv me!

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »

I haven't been posting here for quite a while, but do check in a lot. I live in York County, PA right next to Lancaster County...home of the puppy mills. Four years ago we located our present Bichon in Maryland. My husband called the breeder and wanted to reserve a pup. When he told her he lived in PA, she immediately became suspicious of who my husband really was. She was quite aware of what happens right over the MD/PA border and did not want one of her pups to become part of a puppy mill. It took a bit of convincing to get her to reserve a pup for us. But that's the story of how we got our Little Bella. My heart goes out to the Bichons bred and kept as breeders in the puppy mills. I'm always signing petitions around here to get rid of them. The PA Amish are known for their puppy mills...no longer have a good opinion of them either.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: