Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 17, 2019, 11:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluff Drying-How to Get that Finished Look  (Read 30588 times)
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »

Danielle-
I have read your instructions with much interest.  I am somewhat confused when blow drying your fluff. 
When you say slicker straight, do you mean straight down the spine, or straight down towards the floor?
Remember, I am a pre-newbie when it comes to grooming.

Are there any grooming DVD's that you would suggest that could show actual groomings in progress?

Also, I take Darby to the groomer to be bathed, cut etc.
I now think I can give him a bath.  My question is, should I be plucking his ears in between grooming sessions?

Paula and Darby Von Pippen
bluebell
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »

Hey Paula wave

In the first post, Del added some links to Bbird's blog that has a series of videos demonstrating how to fluff dry a bichon. So go back t page 1, click the link to the blog and scroll down to the entry all about fluff drying. thumbsup

When I say to slicker brush the hair straight, I mean that you want to use the brush to make the hair itself straight (versus wavy or curly). I generally fluff against the grain of the hair, but as long as you are stretching the hair out straight it doesn't matter.

If you see hair in his ears you can pluck it. I prefer to do it in little bits since they seem to tolerate it better. At the salon I'll do some when I prep before the bath, after fluff drying, and again when they are all clipped. I do Bluebell's at least once a week to keep them clear.
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »

I am squeamish to actually pluck hairs out of Darby's ears.... it seems like torture!
Can I just pluck with my fingers?  Do I just pull?  Shall I put anything in his ear first?
Does this hurt them?

LOL... I am watching The Apprentice while asking all these questions....  I should probably only concentrate one thing at a time!

Remember, inquiring minds want to know   Laughing

Paula and Darby Von Pippen
bluebell
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »

I usually just use my fingers to pull the hair out of the canal (not the surrounding hair). I'll use hemostats for hard to reach hair, or waxy hair (I'm not a fan of ear powder - have had too many vets tell me it causes more problems than solves). It is only torture if the hair is firmly rooted in there*, which in the majority of dogs it is not.

*If it does not come out with your fingers easily, don't pull it. Most ear hair should come out with a pinch and pull.
Angels_ Mom_ Ann-Marie
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »

Thank You for all the info on fluff drying    I have always given my girls a bath or two between groomings and tho they've looked great  fluffblush I've never been able to get them as fluffed as the groomer   frustrated  I invested in a Metro Air Force Quick Draw and what a difference it's made   fluffcheer  Angel, tho always good with mom's blowdryer was even better using the QD Yeah Yeah  And the amount of time that I saved really surprised me  yahoo  Tho I'm well over 8 minutes, it's no where near as long as it used to be  trampoline:

You all have also given me the push  Kicking I needed to attempt to groom her myself.  The groomer that I had with my 1st  fluff Frizzy was amazing, she was show ring ready.  Even had a show judge tell us to get into the ring at a local competition one time  : blush2  cheerleader  after she had just been groomed.  Since getting Angel 4 years ago, I have not been able to find someone that can do a true bichon cut  crybaby (my last groomer retired many years ago after enduring carpal tunnel due to grooming  sad   I know I'm spoiled  vain want my girl to look amazing because I like being able to tell people she's a Bichon, not a Poodle (not that I have anything against them, had them years ago). 

I bathed Angel today and gave her a small trim, she was true to her name, an  angel  My next investment is going to be a good pair of scissors, so I'll be ready to give a full cut the next time.   fluff-girl

Thank you all again, I feel like such a good mommy now and way more empowered  workout

Here's a pic of our "tubby time" 

Hug kissing1   fluffangel and Ann-Marie
Masha

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

I blow and dry at the same time.If one part is curly I wet it and dry it again.Its so much better , and you can get dog to look like this. It will be the best if you scissor at the same time.

http://www.tr affordphotos.com/assets/images/8t51d-17.jog

Good luck

edited to embed pic for Vida flowers

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:14:40 PM by EDDEL » Logged

lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »

Hi Masha
Sorry the link seems to be broken so I can't view it. I wonder if others are more successful, Thanks  daisy

Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »

Lorraine, I was not able to view the link either.

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

wave Lorraine & Andrea, I've edited Vida's post so you should be able to see the pic now. thumbsup

Welcome back Vida and Thanks for sharing that pic. The fluff is not Jolie fluff is it?
Are you already scissoring your own Bichons?  You have such a great future ahead of you. thumbup

Masha

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »

Here is one video where you can see how to fluff bichon and groom! eyebrows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9auEzigzg

Daisy's Mom
Daisy and her mom Rosie!
ENTHUSIAST

Daisy Mae

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

I love the video and learned allot I don't dry Daisy enough and she so curly do we have a video on cutting a Bichon?
                                       Rosie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: