Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 17, 2019, 12:45:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluff Drying-How to Get that Finished Look  (Read 30592 times)
bluebell
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »

Thanks Del original Videos are so much better at explaining the process. You are so on top of everything it is almost scary crazy Laughing
Tom_B

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 01:34:57 PM »

Wow !!!  Started to go forward with both grooming scissors and a good dryer !!!  That will quickly put some major dents in ones time schedule and pocketbook!!  My major dilemma  with Clouseau (now 16 months) is the new dryer question.  I read this thread (and some others, BUT the first key specification I read startled me ..... most of the quality pet dryers use only the heat from the motor and air volume versus human dryers which use lots of heat.  Many humans are as much (or more) concerned about their own hair as their companions' so why the major difference? 
I am willing to spend some $$$ on a decent "home" dryer, but also need a new human dryer.  A new Chi is $!40.+ and I expect a decent Clouseau dryer is at least $100.  Seems like there should be a sound compromise ...... but I can't find one.  Also, the Chi seems to run quite hot and the 'cold blast button' must be held in constantly.   Any good thoughts?  I just bought a neat stand on eBay which adjusts from 15" to 36", table top, with velcro belt for dryer and gooseneck adjuster.  Isn't there a really good dryer for both uses?   Help

BIG P.S. !! What about all these new and expensive 'ionic', 'tourmaline', dryers?  If they are so much better and safer for human use, won't they also be a good choice for our Bichon's ??  My wife has thick, naturally curly hair which she keeps medium short.  Seems like a quality dryer that works really well for her would be a very sound tool for Clouseau as well.   Am I missing something ??  (Remember please ... we are in a hot, dry, high desert climate and we will keep his coat short every year from at least May to early October.  Once towel-dry, it seems like his coat and a my wife's hair might not present such grossly diffferent styling challenges.  I hope you terrific pros out there will never hesitate to whack me in the forehead without hesitation when I'm way off base.  I welcome the correction and re-education!!   graduate

Tom B
St George, UT
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by Tom_B » Logged
bluebell
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »

For your question about heat. Your wife only has hair on her scalp, and has the ability to perspire if it were too hot, while your pup has a full body suit and loses heat through panting. I'm sure everyone has heard horror stories where dogs died at a groomer's shop because of heated cage dryers. Dogs suffer from heat exhaustion pretty quickly, so a heated dryer can be dangerous. I don't know if an ionic dryer would make any difference. question The force air dryers were develpoed to reduce the safety risk of using heated dryers and to maintain/improve drying times. If we kept the same style dryers but lost the heat compenent, it would take forever to dry the dogs (and I'd have 24 hr work days!).
Tom_B

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

Got the concept ... not mindbending, but easier heard from you than working out all the factors from scratch!  Given our climate and our 'home dog' flexibility in picking time and temp to bathe Clouseau, we can have the best of all worlds and still avoid blowing hot air on him.  Now it is clear that there are no really good compromise solutions for both tasks.  We will sort out the most practical dryer solution for him and work ours out later. 

This really comes full circle since it helps fund the first pair of quality scissors for him as well.  Thanks for adding some clarity!

Tom B
bluebell
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:11 AM »

Another drying tip for you Tom: get a dehumidifier. The lower the relative humidity, the faster he will dry. I would guess it is pretty dry in UT, but removing as much moisture from the air as possible will help to get him dry faster (especially if overheating may be a concern during warmer weather). Also, when toweling, be sure to squeeze the hair and not rub, as rubbing will cause cuticle damage.

I have no good advice for your wife as I am horrible at styling my own hair (and mine is straight!). Her stylist should be able to give her some good tips for her hair (I know there are many chemicals humans can use to help straighten/style curly hair that are unsafe for pets).
Tom_B

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »

Yes, it is (usually) very dry ... especially here in southwest Utah. We actually need to run a 'humidifier' in our bedroom at night during periods when humidity gets down into the single digits!
Your 'squeeze' versus rub advice is welcome.   I likely stated things badly re. my wife's hair ... in that she does see a good stylist regularly and we are simply overdue for a new blowdryer.  I had the mistaken view that somehow a 'top notch' dryer could do both.

I am actually a bit surprised that no company has entered the 'niche' market and designed a quality human dryer but with more air flow and lower temps which could handle a pretty wide range of people and pets to a reasonable degree. Seems like there are lots of families and individual owners out there who would purchase such a product because it would receive regular use and not add another bulky item to store much of the time.  Oh well!

Thanks for your insights.  I know there will be an attractive 'deal' out there soon for a dryer ideal for Clouseau once he matures a bit and we sort out his 'normal' grooming style.

Regards,
Tom B

bluebell
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

I will admit I have run late on occassion to work and used the HV on my own hair whistling

Laughing It certainly dried my hair but I can't say it does well with styling (has anyone else noticed I use too many dog products on myself?)
chelsea

She's so precious!

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »

Hi Danielle and Bluebell,
 Thank You so much for the info.  Chelsea goes the groomer about once every 4-6 months.  In between that, I bathe her myself.  She is pretty good with sitting still when I blow dry her.  thumbsup  My concern was if human hair dryer would be OK to use (but you answered that question already!). 
I used to give Chelsea a bath myself without blow drying her, and I don't like the way it looks, plus her hair get all matted.  So I brush her at the same time I blow dry her.  The result isn't as great as when she comes back from the groomer, but I am pretty satisfied.  eyebrows
It takes me about 30-40 minutes to dry her. 

Thanks for the great information again! 

Vik

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Hello,   wave daisy Daisy's  :daisy:Mom here!
I was reading about air drying and it was such so insightful.
Thank you for writing it. 
It is my desire to learn how to air dry... but my little fluff Daisy
does not want to stand still.  I will keep on trying to get her used
to the dryer I have and if she does not get used to it, I will change
to another method.  Thanks again for posting the article.
Vik fluff Daisy's Mom  fluff

PS. I am letting Daisy's hair get long, but how long should it be to have control?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love your Bichon Much!
bluebell
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

You're very welcome Vik and Daisy flowers

How long her coat needs to be will depend on what you would like her to look like. She sure is a cutie as is Wub

and Selvita I missed your post Doh Glad I was able to answer your questions

Vik

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:41 PM »

Thanks for the quick post..... I think Daisy looks pretty good. But then don't we all love our baby's just the way they are.... Daisy is a joy to my heart and I will never be sorry for her coming into my life....
 bouquet
The picture of her on the boards is one I took after the rain got to her...
I was trying to straighten her coat. 
I think she actually needed a bath so I could have done a  better job.

I think I will learn in time, but if I don't I love her just as she is.    fluff Love word

Vik  fluff daisy  flowers

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love your Bichon Much!
Sallie & Tory

Victor Victorious(aka Tory) June 2007

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

Thanks for the great information on  fluff drying. Tory absolutely hates  scared being groomed. When I bathe him I wrap him papoose style & work down his body. That is the only way I can keep him still. Any suggestions on hair in the ear? He grows a forest  manfro every month. When he first came to live with me the vet had to sedate him & go deep in his ears to remove all the hair.

Sallie

v
bluebell
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »

Bluebell grows a mighty forest in her ears too. I find myself plucking a bit here and there every few days. It's the only way to keep them clean really, otherwise I would need a demolition team to go in with me. Using hemostats can help too, as they get a better grip on the hair.
Sallie & Tory

Victor Victorious(aka Tory) June 2007

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 08:57:19 PM »

Thanks I guess there is no easy way. I do the hemostat thing too but he really hates it. hyper

v
bluebell
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »

As long as the ear canal is clear enough to circulate air he should be okay. So do little bits here and there and keep it clean and dry in there. Some dogs have hair that is almost cememnted in there, and I imagine it does not feel too good coming out (but probably better than an infection). Do what you can to keep his ears clean and dry and get what he lets you. thumbsup I wish there was an easy way to do it. I have heard that some groomers use Nair but I would not feel comfortable using that type of product on any part of a dog. If it burns my skin I'm not putting in on a pup!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: