Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 17, 2019, 03:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluff Drying-How to Get that Finished Look  (Read 32397 times)
Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 12:37:48 AM »

Great info Danielle.  thumbsup  I home groom my boy blush , and because he is terrified of the dryer I don't dry him.  No  I just let him get nearly dry and comb him, yes he is kinda curly, he has a very dense coat and it takes ages  sweatdrop , and he is not too abliging with staying still even on his 'jail' grooming table  Mad . I, like Susan, have trouble where Riley loves outside, and goes walking with his daddy in the mornings when there is dew on the ground and gets wet  yucky , so I think we will stick with the scruffy look, at least his fro stands up good cos it is so thick.  manfro
Maybe one day I will find a good dryer that Riley won't be scared  scared of and give it a go for a special occasion or I could just send him to his breeders, she is a groomer.  whistling   She has seen Riley and says I am doing a great job of scissor cutting him so that is something I guess. blush  And I am always getting stopped out walking by people with Bichons who seem embarrassed of the way their babies look along side Riley shrug , some say oh he has just been to the groomers hasnt he, and I have to say no he hasn't I groom him myself.  blush2  One lady yesterday who has a little girl with the longer ears look was really taken with Riley, innocent  infact I think if I hadnt said I had hurt my back she would have asked me to groom her wee girl for her. Laughing 

Another Terri creation
dessyrell
NOVICE

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:28 AM »

don't know about the rest of you, but i am taking notes here and printing bluebell's posts... graduate thanks so much!  cyclop

lesndesi
NOVICE

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

Riley's mommy
NOVICE

Heaven is hugging a Bichon.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Actually I asked a groomer at Petco and she said I would have to be hired by Petco either work the floor or even better in the grooming shop.  Then she said you get trained and can work here.  I had a feeling it would be up there in price, a waiting list, and only learn basics.  Since I do not want to do this full-time/career, I thought I could work at a kennel by us brushing/bathing and asking questions.  Sounds like a plan.  Thank you so much for your knowledge on this.  You just made my husband very happy.   Had a feeling it worked that way.  PetSmart does the same thing.  Well, so far doing okay, nails, brushing, bathing, and a little "mat work".  Haha.  Anything major, anal glands etc. will take to vet or groomer.   fluff

bluebell
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

She uses a #40 blade w/ a 1" attachement comb over the body and scissors the legs, neck and head. Still has the bichon look but much less hair. original
bluebell
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »

don't know about the rest of you, but i am taking notes here and printing bluebell's posts... graduate thanks so much!  cyclop

Thank you! I feel so loved heart here.
bluebell
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »

Raewync, I see from your sig that he is quite handsome, great job! I'm sorry to hear is a lacking in the bravery department, but he has sure made up for all of that with that face!

I'm glad I could help Riley's mom. I always get mad at Petco when my friend emails me asking questions because she went to a "school" and shouldn't have to ask these things. Mad
lesndesi
NOVICE

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 09:52:21 PM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

She uses a #40 blade w/ a 1" attachement comb over the body and scissors the legs, neck and head. Still has the bichon look but much less hair. original

I think thats how I'm going to keep Savior.  Still has the "look" but easier maintance. 

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »

Raewync, I see from your sig that he is quite handsome, great job! I'm sorry to hear is a lacking in the bravery department, but he has sure made up for all of that with that face!

Thanks for the compliments Danielle.  blush  I think he is quite lovely myself.  nodding  He isn't lacking in bravery though,  noway  Flex he takes on our Rotti in tug of war no worries  mobster , it is just the hair dryer he won't have a bar of.  Laughing 

Another Terri creation
Trisha :)

Always My Angel

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »

Wow!! Their "hair" looks better than mine...and I'm sure their's took longer to do too!!
I will probably leave this grooming technique to a pro...I'm still new to the Bichon breed and wouldn't want to make my little Mason look silly Laughing

Clicky...
natalie
26yrs, Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

Barnaby Biggins

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »

I don't know how I missed this but now that I've seen it I just want to say "THANK YOU!" - I would love to be able to do more of Barnaby's grooming at home (if only I were brave enough to give it a go whistling ). 

I've always wondered why his curls bounce back in certain areas as soon as I've finished brushing him after his shower, even though I've brushed him out completely.  I realise now it's because I don't always manage to finish brushing all of him while he's still damp, so I'll have to get a little conditioning spray. nodding 

Thankfully, he doesn't dry all that quickly anyway as I don't use a hairdryer on him (he's afraid of them) - instead, I sit him infront of a rotating electric heater which dries him gently as I brush him out.  I might give the dryer another go though. thinking

One little question - when I picked him up from the breeder, his dad was in the middle of being dried and it looked as if his hair was being hoovered!  Do you get dryers that suck the hair in rather than just blowing it about, or were my eyes playing tricks on me? confused

bluebell
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

I've yet to see a dryer that sucks, though I know some people use shop vacs to do a lot of things...I wish I knew, lol. The heater trick is pretty cool, I might suggest it for those whose dogs don't let them blow dry.
sammyboy
NOVICE

Sammy " Gone but never forgotten"

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »

Just catching this thread now  Doh, its really a very informative one....thanks so much Danielle for sharing this great info with us, Hug .....I just might give it a try with my new baby once I have her home and settled  swing

Thanks Chellie
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »

Do you get dryers that suck the hair in rather than just blowing it about, or were my eyes playing tricks on me? confused

nodding A groomer I spoke to had one of those wink1 he said the hair had to be no longer than a certain length (cant remember the exact ")  thinking It kinda gives them the straighter look original and obviously if the hair is too long it'll get caught up inside shrug

DEL-ish-ified

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »

In another post of Danielle's, she had referenced Barbara Bird's grooming blog thumbsup .... and therein (posted on April 8, 2007) was an article thumbsup, complete with short video clips thumbsup on how to "fluff-dry the pet bichon".

I've added the link, up in the very post of this thread blush, so our members can benefit book from both Danielle's "how-to" and Barbara Bird's "how-to"! clapping

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: