Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 16, 2019, 09:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluff Drying-How to Get that Finished Look  (Read 32386 times)
bluebell
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »

fluffblush

The most important part of grooming a bichon is in the drying. Most of the home groomed bichons that I see are curly and have that scruffliy just out of bed look. The key to getting that "just groomed" look is fluff drying.

While the process of fluff drying is not hard to learn (if you straigten your curly hair yourself than you are a step ahead), it is time consuming and may require the purchase of new tools. However, it can be done with items already at home. I will try to explain this process as best I can.

To start you will need to be able to restrain your bichon somehow. You will need to control what parts of the coat are being dried, so having him on a table is essential. You will also need a dryer and a slicker brush. The brush is something you should already have in your house. If you don't, they are fairly inexpensive and you can even find them at a Walmart.

As we all know, an adult bichon's coat is curly. When hair is wet, the hydrogen bonds that form the hair become broken, and you have the opportunity and the ability to reshape the cuticle. Brushing a soaking wet coat can break the cuticles. I recommend using a spray in conditioner of some sort to help protect the hair. There are many products available for this. Chris Christiansen makes many wonderful products specifically for bichon and poodle coats, though places like www.petedge.com will carry things like GloCoat which you can also use.

If you have the means, I strongly recommend buying a small HV (high-velocity) dryer. This will drastically cut down on the drying time. Metro makes a few models for as little as $50. With an HV dryer, you will use the hose without a concentrator nozzle. Using the force of the air, the dryer will blow the water off of the coat. Hold the hose close to the skin. Don't wave it around in circles, just move methodically over the coat, drying everywhere, including the underarms and between the legs. You want to dry your bichon until he is about 90% dry with this.

The next dryer I would recommend is a stand dryer. This is a dryer that has an "arm" instead of a hose, and is placed on top of a stand. Once you are finished with the HV dryer (or if you don't have the HV, you just move straight to this step) you will finish drying with the stand dryer. If you can't afford a stand dryer (which if you can only buy one dryer, I would go with the HV) than you can use a human hair dryer. Just make sure there is a warm and a cool setting. It also helps if the air vent is on the side of the hair dryer inside of behind. If the vent is on the side, you can put a belt loosely around your middle, and stick the dryer handle in the belt.

So now the fluffing begins. Taking the slicker brush, you will start brushing the coat straight while blowing the dryer at the spot you are brushing. You want to fully dry the hair now, making sure it is straight. I recommend using the warm setting. If it is taking a while and you notice there skin is hot you can switch over to the cool setting (drying on cool will take longer but will still yield the same results). Go over the entire dog section by section. As a newbie, this will take practice. But don't worry, you will get better. You don't want the coat to dry without brushing it straight. If he starts to get too dry on parts you haven't gotten to yet, you can use a spray bottle with either water, or a diluted conditioner to spritz the coat damp again. Once the hair is dry, the hydrogen bonds will have reformed, locking in the shape of the hair. So if it dries before you fluff it, it will stay curly (rewetting and drying it straight will fix that).

It is a time consuming process, but it is what we do to get that velvet finish Smiley If you have an HV dryer, this process should take 20-30 min depending on the length and condition of the coat. Without the HV, it can take a very long time. if you can't afford the HV, you can wrap your bichon in a towel ,and let him drip dry until he is about 80% dry, and then finish with the stand dryer or the human dryer.

Another added benefit to fluff drying is that you can break up any mats that have been forming while you dry the dog. Otherwise, if he airdries, the mats will become tighter than they were before the bath.

Here are some dogs that I have fluff dried in the shop. You can see how fluff drying goes a long way to getting that smooth scissor finish. Smiley

Good luck and happy grooming.

Edited sorcerer by Del (in May 2007) to add the following.....

In another post of Danielle's, she had referenced Barbara Bird's grooming blog .... and therein (posted on April 8, 2007) was an article thumbsup, complete with short video clips thumbsup on how to "fluff-dry the pet bichon".

I'm adding the , upfront here on this post blush, so our members can benefit from both Danielle's "how-to" and Barbara Bird's "how-to"! clapping  CLICK HERE
original (and then scroll down to the 2nd blog entry).

edited sorcerer by Del (Jan 2008) to fix the broken (due to server badPC change-over) reported by Lainey thumbsup

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:04:54 AM by EDDEL » Logged
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »

WOW.. thank you soo much for taking the time to write this out for all of us..

It has really broken down the process for me.......

Benji used to HATE getting brushed by me so my groomer told me not to bathe him myself in between grooming because the mats would only get worse.. now I know why  thumbup

I really appreciate this post and I know other members will too.. THANK YOU!   flowers

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

Wow, what great information!  flowers  Thanks for taking the time to post it!  thumbsup

That "just groomedmanfro look always  shocking2 amazes me!  blush ... I don't  No bother blow drying Max  blush only because we live in a very Rain rainy climatecrazy .... I would assume  shrug you'd have to "re-blow dry" them everytime you had to take them out in the rain - to keep that look?  thinking ... or does it tend to hold up in the rain?  unsure

bluebell
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »

You are right, you would have to redry him after he went out in the rain Sad
Puppylove
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »

Ok that settles it for me! From now on, only the spa will bathe Princess...I want the fluffed look all the time now but heck if I'm gonna spend that time blow drying her hair. (I don't even have time to do my own!) I'd much rather spend the money and get it do right. Support your local groomer. Lol
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »

You are right, you would have to redry him after he went out in the rain Sad

Crying That's what I feared.  Don't Get It ... since they seems to be a 50/50 chance it's gonna be Rain here  crazy (I live near Seattle) and Max isn't "paper trained" ... guess he'll always be a  manfro curly cueLaughing

Shelly
NOVICE

Harley & Tootsie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »

Wow!  That was great information! thumbup  I've had my share of "bad groomers", so I've been trying to keep up with it myself.  My two get a bath about every 2 weeks and I do blow dry them and brush while I blow dry.  I own a Metro Air Force Commander, 120V - 60 HZ - 7.5 amps.  I used to use it all the time as it was much quicker to dry them with, but I do not think that they like it too much.  Is that too much power for them?... or are they just being babies  crybaby about it? thinking

bluebell
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:57:10 PM »

The Metro dryers are great for home use. The amps are low and they are a good price for pet owners (who can't write off $400 dryers wink1 ). The Metros usually put out at about 25,00-30,000 FPM (feet per minute-air speed) if I remember, which is half the power of the K9 dryer I use at work. They can handle it, don't worry. thumbup A good idea is to put them on a table with a grooming arm for restraint. Start from the back end and leave the head for last. If they don't like the face (which many don't) you can use a stand dryer or the human dryer with a brush to finish.
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 08:31:07 AM »

clapping Bluebell's mom (did you already tell us your name unsure and I missed it?? blush), that is such wonderful information see for our members.

I Thank You for the time you took to post that, as I know full well how time-consuming sweatdrop it can be to post such informative posts (well, if ya used alot of smilies like me blush it takes awhile Laughing)

I also wanna Thank You for covering this important topic of fluff-drying.... something I said I'd do but haven't got round to doing it yet blush2.

I'm gonna "sticky" sorcerer this thread so it stays on top of the [GROOMING & CARE board], for members' easy reference book

...As we all know, an adult bichon's coat is curly. When hair is wet, the hydrogen bonds that form the hair become broken, and you have the opportunity and the ability to reshape the cuticle.
That info about hydrogen bonds is definitely nodding something new I'm learning! thumbsup  I just knew that fluff-drying the coat, section by section, strand by strand even wink1, will make the coat straight.  But didn't No know twas the hydrogen bonds that was 'coating' the strand of hair that 'holds' the shape of the hair so to speak.

....If he starts to get too dry on parts you haven't gotten to yet, you can use a spray bottle with either water, or a diluted conditioner to spritz the coat damp again. Once the hair is dry, the hydrogen bonds will have reformed, locking in the shape of the hair. So if it dries before you fluff it, it will stay curly (rewetting and drying it straight will fix that).
AGREED!! nodding  What I do (also) to keep the coat damp (while I fluff-dry other parts) is to loosely cover/wrap a towel over Bianca Wub.  I learnt that from Sue Davidson, whose British grooming video I own.  So I cover her body, dry the head, and systematically push the towel down, doing her shoulders next, body next, legs next etc.

Again, Thank You for sharing your expertise, bluebell's mom! flowers

bluebell
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »

(did you already tell us your name unsure and I missed it?? blush)

I also wanna Thank You for covering this important topic of fluff-drying.... something I said I'd do but haven't got round to doing it yet blush2.

What I do (also) to keep the coat damp (while I fluff-dry other parts) is to loosely cover/wrap a towel over Bianca Wub.  I learnt that from Sue Davidson, whose British grooming video I own.  So I cover her body, dry the head, and systematically push the towel down, doing her shoulders next, body next, legs next etc.[/size]

No, I didn't give my name at first because most of the forums I'm on are pretty anonymous New Here,  but seeing as how this is a friendly bunch: "Hi, my name is Danielle and I'm from Westchester, NY".

No problem. thumbsup I was going through some of the other topics and there were some great threads on scissoring and finding a groomer, so I thought I'd add this one for the at home bathers.

The towel trick is also a good idea, though I've personally had problems keeping a towel on. blink I always end up knocking it off (though the better you get at it, the easier it will be to get to all of the hair before it dries).   
Puppylove
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »

Oh Miss Danielle...we are all so glad you are here!!!  Welcome (again)

I am such a hopeless case at grooming...I wish I lived in NY so I could visit you for Princess' spa days!!  Oh well.
Riley's mommy
NOVICE

Heaven is hugging a Bichon.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »

Danielle ala buebell - thanks much for the info.  I am trying to learn to groom Riley at home, have done it for 7 months now, and not so bad.  But am leaving the cutting to the professional.  I heard you only scissors cut a bichon and never use a human blow drier because they can have a seizure.  Is this true?  I mean, i use my hair dryer on him and so far no seizures.  Thought I would ask.  Thanks again.   Riley's mom aka Joie from Wisconsin.

bluebell
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:49:55 PM »

Hi Joie,
 Thanks for the questions. original For a show cut, bichons are done with only scissors, but for pets there are different clipper blades and attachments made to give shorter lengths. It's a lot of work to fully handscissor and most people aren't looking for that kind of work ($price) or home maintainence.

The only dogs I have ever see seizure from a dryer (of any kind, human dryers are much less powerful than the ones groomers use) were either epileptic or geriatric. In those cases we do what we can for them, but their safety and health come before the style. As long as he is in good health and is not stressing during the blow out he should have no problems. Just make sure to use your dryer on warm or cool to keep his skin from drying out or getting irritated.
Riley's mommy
NOVICE

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »

Hi Danielle,

Thank you so much for the answers to my questions.   wink3  So quick!  I probably will get him a puppy cut or a pet cut, still want the fluff though, like the round head look, have to have his ears trimmed, etc.  I even thought of going to Petco to learn to be a groomer so I could groom him by myself, but then it would cost bundles to have all the equipment.  Guess I will just stick to my every 10 days bath, brushing, clipping, and then to the groomer when he needs a trim.  Thanks again.

Joie

bluebell
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »

If you wanted to go to a Petco/smart to learn to groom...you have to be hired as a bather/brusher first. When there is an opening at their academy they sign you onto the list. My friend had to wait 18 months before she could go. Once they send you you have to sign a contract agreeing to 1 year of working at Petco, or else pay for the academy which is around $3,000. Mind you, my friend went through their academy and learned next to nothing. She is struggling and there is no one there to help her (she's in MA and I'm in NY). If you want to learn to groom him yourself my advice would be to either find a groomer or bichon breeder to apprentice/get coaching from or to attend some seminar workshops. I wouldn't want to spend 2-3 years slaving at Petco just to learn the basics. *sorry, ending Petco rant* original
Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 12:37:48 AM »

Great info Danielle.  thumbsup  I home groom my boy blush , and because he is terrified of the dryer I don't dry him.  No  I just let him get nearly dry and comb him, yes he is kinda curly, he has a very dense coat and it takes ages  sweatdrop , and he is not too abliging with staying still even on his 'jail' grooming table  Mad . I, like Susan, have trouble where Riley loves outside, and goes walking with his daddy in the mornings when there is dew on the ground and gets wet  yucky , so I think we will stick with the scruffy look, at least his fro stands up good cos it is so thick.  manfro
Maybe one day I will find a good dryer that Riley won't be scared  scared of and give it a go for a special occasion or I could just send him to his breeders, she is a groomer.  whistling   She has seen Riley and says I am doing a great job of scissor cutting him so that is something I guess. blush  And I am always getting stopped out walking by people with Bichons who seem embarrassed of the way their babies look along side Riley shrug , some say oh he has just been to the groomers hasnt he, and I have to say no he hasn't I groom him myself.  blush2  One lady yesterday who has a little girl with the longer ears look was really taken with Riley, innocent  infact I think if I hadnt said I had hurt my back she would have asked me to groom her wee girl for her. Laughing 

Another Terri creation
dessyrell
NOVICE

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:28 AM »

don't know about the rest of you, but i am taking notes here and printing bluebell's posts... graduate thanks so much!  cyclop

lesndesi
NOVICE

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

Riley's mommy
NOVICE

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Actually I asked a groomer at Petco and she said I would have to be hired by Petco either work the floor or even better in the grooming shop.  Then she said you get trained and can work here.  I had a feeling it would be up there in price, a waiting list, and only learn basics.  Since I do not want to do this full-time/career, I thought I could work at a kennel by us brushing/bathing and asking questions.  Sounds like a plan.  Thank you so much for your knowledge on this.  You just made my husband very happy.   Had a feeling it worked that way.  PetSmart does the same thing.  Well, so far doing okay, nails, brushing, bathing, and a little "mat work".  Haha.  Anything major, anal glands etc. will take to vet or groomer.   fluff

bluebell
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

She uses a #40 blade w/ a 1" attachement comb over the body and scissors the legs, neck and head. Still has the bichon look but much less hair. original
bluebell
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »

don't know about the rest of you, but i am taking notes here and printing bluebell's posts... graduate thanks so much!  cyclop

Thank you! I feel so loved heart here.
bluebell
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »

Raewync, I see from your sig that he is quite handsome, great job! I'm sorry to hear is a lacking in the bravery department, but he has sure made up for all of that with that face!

I'm glad I could help Riley's mom. I always get mad at Petco when my friend emails me asking questions because she went to a "school" and shouldn't have to ask these things. Mad
lesndesi
NOVICE

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 09:52:21 PM »

Wonderful info.!!!   Clap  What's some good videos that everyone would recommend to watch??  Danielle, I love the modified show clip that Bluebell has.  Does she scissor that or use trimmers??  If she uses trimmers, do you know what blade?? 

She uses a #40 blade w/ a 1" attachement comb over the body and scissors the legs, neck and head. Still has the bichon look but much less hair. original

I think thats how I'm going to keep Savior.  Still has the "look" but easier maintance. 

Raewync (Rae)
Super G.O.D.

Livin the life of Riley

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »

Raewync, I see from your sig that he is quite handsome, great job! I'm sorry to hear is a lacking in the bravery department, but he has sure made up for all of that with that face!

Thanks for the compliments Danielle.  blush  I think he is quite lovely myself.  nodding  He isn't lacking in bravery though,  noway  Flex he takes on our Rotti in tug of war no worries  mobster , it is just the hair dryer he won't have a bar of.  Laughing 

Another Terri creation
Trisha :)

Always My Angel

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »

Wow!! Their "hair" looks better than mine...and I'm sure their's took longer to do too!!
I will probably leave this grooming technique to a pro...I'm still new to the Bichon breed and wouldn't want to make my little Mason look silly Laughing

Clicky...
natalie
26yrs, Jersey, Channel Islands
EXPERT

Barnaby Biggins

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »

I don't know how I missed this but now that I've seen it I just want to say "THANK YOU!" - I would love to be able to do more of Barnaby's grooming at home (if only I were brave enough to give it a go whistling ). 

I've always wondered why his curls bounce back in certain areas as soon as I've finished brushing him after his shower, even though I've brushed him out completely.  I realise now it's because I don't always manage to finish brushing all of him while he's still damp, so I'll have to get a little conditioning spray. nodding 

Thankfully, he doesn't dry all that quickly anyway as I don't use a hairdryer on him (he's afraid of them) - instead, I sit him infront of a rotating electric heater which dries him gently as I brush him out.  I might give the dryer another go though. thinking

One little question - when I picked him up from the breeder, his dad was in the middle of being dried and it looked as if his hair was being hoovered!  Do you get dryers that suck the hair in rather than just blowing it about, or were my eyes playing tricks on me? confused

bluebell
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

I've yet to see a dryer that sucks, though I know some people use shop vacs to do a lot of things...I wish I knew, lol. The heater trick is pretty cool, I might suggest it for those whose dogs don't let them blow dry.
sammyboy
NOVICE

Sammy " Gone but never forgotten"

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »

Just catching this thread now  Doh, its really a very informative one....thanks so much Danielle for sharing this great info with us, Hug .....I just might give it a try with my new baby once I have her home and settled  swing

Thanks Chellie
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »

Do you get dryers that suck the hair in rather than just blowing it about, or were my eyes playing tricks on me? confused

nodding A groomer I spoke to had one of those wink1 he said the hair had to be no longer than a certain length (cant remember the exact ")  thinking It kinda gives them the straighter look original and obviously if the hair is too long it'll get caught up inside shrug

DEL-ish-ified

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »

In another post of Danielle's, she had referenced Barbara Bird's grooming blog thumbsup .... and therein (posted on April 8, 2007) was an article thumbsup, complete with short video clips thumbsup on how to "fluff-dry the pet bichon".

I've added the link, up in the very post of this thread blush, so our members can benefit book from both Danielle's "how-to" and Barbara Bird's "how-to"! clapping

bluebell
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »

Thanks Del original Videos are so much better at explaining the process. You are so on top of everything it is almost scary crazy Laughing
Tom_B

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 01:34:57 PM »

Wow !!!  Started to go forward with both grooming scissors and a good dryer !!!  That will quickly put some major dents in ones time schedule and pocketbook!!  My major dilemma  with Clouseau (now 16 months) is the new dryer question.  I read this thread (and some others, BUT the first key specification I read startled me ..... most of the quality pet dryers use only the heat from the motor and air volume versus human dryers which use lots of heat.  Many humans are as much (or more) concerned about their own hair as their companions' so why the major difference? 
I am willing to spend some $$$ on a decent "home" dryer, but also need a new human dryer.  A new Chi is $!40.+ and I expect a decent Clouseau dryer is at least $100.  Seems like there should be a sound compromise ...... but I can't find one.  Also, the Chi seems to run quite hot and the 'cold blast button' must be held in constantly.   Any good thoughts?  I just bought a neat stand on eBay which adjusts from 15" to 36", table top, with velcro belt for dryer and gooseneck adjuster.  Isn't there a really good dryer for both uses?   Help

BIG P.S. !! What about all these new and expensive 'ionic', 'tourmaline', dryers?  If they are so much better and safer for human use, won't they also be a good choice for our Bichon's ??  My wife has thick, naturally curly hair which she keeps medium short.  Seems like a quality dryer that works really well for her would be a very sound tool for Clouseau as well.   Am I missing something ??  (Remember please ... we are in a hot, dry, high desert climate and we will keep his coat short every year from at least May to early October.  Once towel-dry, it seems like his coat and a my wife's hair might not present such grossly diffferent styling challenges.  I hope you terrific pros out there will never hesitate to whack me in the forehead without hesitation when I'm way off base.  I welcome the correction and re-education!!   graduate

Tom B
St George, UT
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by Tom_B » Logged
bluebell
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »

For your question about heat. Your wife only has hair on her scalp, and has the ability to perspire if it were too hot, while your pup has a full body suit and loses heat through panting. I'm sure everyone has heard horror stories where dogs died at a groomer's shop because of heated cage dryers. Dogs suffer from heat exhaustion pretty quickly, so a heated dryer can be dangerous. I don't know if an ionic dryer would make any difference. question The force air dryers were develpoed to reduce the safety risk of using heated dryers and to maintain/improve drying times. If we kept the same style dryers but lost the heat compenent, it would take forever to dry the dogs (and I'd have 24 hr work days!).
Tom_B

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

Got the concept ... not mindbending, but easier heard from you than working out all the factors from scratch!  Given our climate and our 'home dog' flexibility in picking time and temp to bathe Clouseau, we can have the best of all worlds and still avoid blowing hot air on him.  Now it is clear that there are no really good compromise solutions for both tasks.  We will sort out the most practical dryer solution for him and work ours out later. 

This really comes full circle since it helps fund the first pair of quality scissors for him as well.  Thanks for adding some clarity!

Tom B
bluebell
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:11 AM »

Another drying tip for you Tom: get a dehumidifier. The lower the relative humidity, the faster he will dry. I would guess it is pretty dry in UT, but removing as much moisture from the air as possible will help to get him dry faster (especially if overheating may be a concern during warmer weather). Also, when toweling, be sure to squeeze the hair and not rub, as rubbing will cause cuticle damage.

I have no good advice for your wife as I am horrible at styling my own hair (and mine is straight!). Her stylist should be able to give her some good tips for her hair (I know there are many chemicals humans can use to help straighten/style curly hair that are unsafe for pets).
Tom_B

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »

Yes, it is (usually) very dry ... especially here in southwest Utah. We actually need to run a 'humidifier' in our bedroom at night during periods when humidity gets down into the single digits!
Your 'squeeze' versus rub advice is welcome.   I likely stated things badly re. my wife's hair ... in that she does see a good stylist regularly and we are simply overdue for a new blowdryer.  I had the mistaken view that somehow a 'top notch' dryer could do both.

I am actually a bit surprised that no company has entered the 'niche' market and designed a quality human dryer but with more air flow and lower temps which could handle a pretty wide range of people and pets to a reasonable degree. Seems like there are lots of families and individual owners out there who would purchase such a product because it would receive regular use and not add another bulky item to store much of the time.  Oh well!

Thanks for your insights.  I know there will be an attractive 'deal' out there soon for a dryer ideal for Clouseau once he matures a bit and we sort out his 'normal' grooming style.

Regards,
Tom B

bluebell
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

I will admit I have run late on occassion to work and used the HV on my own hair whistling

Laughing It certainly dried my hair but I can't say it does well with styling (has anyone else noticed I use too many dog products on myself?)
chelsea

She's so precious!

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »

Hi Danielle and Bluebell,
 Thank You so much for the info.  Chelsea goes the groomer about once every 4-6 months.  In between that, I bathe her myself.  She is pretty good with sitting still when I blow dry her.  thumbsup  My concern was if human hair dryer would be OK to use (but you answered that question already!). 
I used to give Chelsea a bath myself without blow drying her, and I don't like the way it looks, plus her hair get all matted.  So I brush her at the same time I blow dry her.  The result isn't as great as when she comes back from the groomer, but I am pretty satisfied.  eyebrows
It takes me about 30-40 minutes to dry her. 

Thanks for the great information again! 

Vik

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Hello,   wave daisy Daisy's  :daisy:Mom here!
I was reading about air drying and it was such so insightful.
Thank you for writing it. 
It is my desire to learn how to air dry... but my little fluff Daisy
does not want to stand still.  I will keep on trying to get her used
to the dryer I have and if she does not get used to it, I will change
to another method.  Thanks again for posting the article.
Vik fluff Daisy's Mom  fluff

PS. I am letting Daisy's hair get long, but how long should it be to have control?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love your Bichon Much!
bluebell
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

You're very welcome Vik and Daisy flowers

How long her coat needs to be will depend on what you would like her to look like. She sure is a cutie as is Wub

and Selvita I missed your post Doh Glad I was able to answer your questions

Vik

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:41 PM »

Thanks for the quick post..... I think Daisy looks pretty good. But then don't we all love our baby's just the way they are.... Daisy is a joy to my heart and I will never be sorry for her coming into my life....
 bouquet
The picture of her on the boards is one I took after the rain got to her...
I was trying to straighten her coat. 
I think she actually needed a bath so I could have done a  better job.

I think I will learn in time, but if I don't I love her just as she is.    fluff Love word

Vik  fluff daisy  flowers

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love your Bichon Much!
Sallie & Tory

Victor Victorious(aka Tory) June 2007

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

Thanks for the great information on  fluff drying. Tory absolutely hates  scared being groomed. When I bathe him I wrap him papoose style & work down his body. That is the only way I can keep him still. Any suggestions on hair in the ear? He grows a forest  manfro every month. When he first came to live with me the vet had to sedate him & go deep in his ears to remove all the hair.

Sallie

v
bluebell
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »

Bluebell grows a mighty forest in her ears too. I find myself plucking a bit here and there every few days. It's the only way to keep them clean really, otherwise I would need a demolition team to go in with me. Using hemostats can help too, as they get a better grip on the hair.
Sallie & Tory

Victor Victorious(aka Tory) June 2007

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 08:57:19 PM »

Thanks I guess there is no easy way. I do the hemostat thing too but he really hates it. hyper

v
bluebell
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »

As long as the ear canal is clear enough to circulate air he should be okay. So do little bits here and there and keep it clean and dry in there. Some dogs have hair that is almost cememnted in there, and I imagine it does not feel too good coming out (but probably better than an infection). Do what you can to keep his ears clean and dry and get what he lets you. thumbsup I wish there was an easy way to do it. I have heard that some groomers use Nair but I would not feel comfortable using that type of product on any part of a dog. If it burns my skin I'm not putting in on a pup!
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »

Danielle-
I have read your instructions with much interest.  I am somewhat confused when blow drying your fluff. 
When you say slicker straight, do you mean straight down the spine, or straight down towards the floor?
Remember, I am a pre-newbie when it comes to grooming.

Are there any grooming DVD's that you would suggest that could show actual groomings in progress?

Also, I take Darby to the groomer to be bathed, cut etc.
I now think I can give him a bath.  My question is, should I be plucking his ears in between grooming sessions?

Paula and Darby Von Pippen
bluebell
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »

Hey Paula wave

In the first post, Del added some links to Bbird's blog that has a series of videos demonstrating how to fluff dry a bichon. So go back t page 1, click the link to the blog and scroll down to the entry all about fluff drying. thumbsup

When I say to slicker brush the hair straight, I mean that you want to use the brush to make the hair itself straight (versus wavy or curly). I generally fluff against the grain of the hair, but as long as you are stretching the hair out straight it doesn't matter.

If you see hair in his ears you can pluck it. I prefer to do it in little bits since they seem to tolerate it better. At the salon I'll do some when I prep before the bath, after fluff drying, and again when they are all clipped. I do Bluebell's at least once a week to keep them clear.
Darby
NOVICE

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »

I am squeamish to actually pluck hairs out of Darby's ears.... it seems like torture!
Can I just pluck with my fingers?  Do I just pull?  Shall I put anything in his ear first?
Does this hurt them?

LOL... I am watching The Apprentice while asking all these questions....  I should probably only concentrate one thing at a time!

Remember, inquiring minds want to know   Laughing

Paula and Darby Von Pippen
bluebell
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »

I usually just use my fingers to pull the hair out of the canal (not the surrounding hair). I'll use hemostats for hard to reach hair, or waxy hair (I'm not a fan of ear powder - have had too many vets tell me it causes more problems than solves). It is only torture if the hair is firmly rooted in there*, which in the majority of dogs it is not.

*If it does not come out with your fingers easily, don't pull it. Most ear hair should come out with a pinch and pull.
Angels_ Mom_ Ann-Marie
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »

Thank You for all the info on fluff drying    I have always given my girls a bath or two between groomings and tho they've looked great  fluffblush I've never been able to get them as fluffed as the groomer   frustrated  I invested in a Metro Air Force Quick Draw and what a difference it's made   fluffcheer  Angel, tho always good with mom's blowdryer was even better using the QD Yeah Yeah  And the amount of time that I saved really surprised me  yahoo  Tho I'm well over 8 minutes, it's no where near as long as it used to be  trampoline:

You all have also given me the push  Kicking I needed to attempt to groom her myself.  The groomer that I had with my 1st  fluff Frizzy was amazing, she was show ring ready.  Even had a show judge tell us to get into the ring at a local competition one time  : blush2  cheerleader  after she had just been groomed.  Since getting Angel 4 years ago, I have not been able to find someone that can do a true bichon cut  crybaby (my last groomer retired many years ago after enduring carpal tunnel due to grooming  sad   I know I'm spoiled  vain want my girl to look amazing because I like being able to tell people she's a Bichon, not a Poodle (not that I have anything against them, had them years ago). 

I bathed Angel today and gave her a small trim, she was true to her name, an  angel  My next investment is going to be a good pair of scissors, so I'll be ready to give a full cut the next time.   fluff-girl

Thank you all again, I feel like such a good mommy now and way more empowered  workout

Here's a pic of our "tubby time" 

Hug kissing1   fluffangel and Ann-Marie
Masha

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

I blow and dry at the same time.If one part is curly I wet it and dry it again.Its so much better , and you can get dog to look like this. It will be the best if you scissor at the same time.

http://www.tr affordphotos.com/assets/images/8t51d-17.jog

Good luck

edited to embed pic for Vida flowers

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:14:40 PM by EDDEL » Logged

lorraine (Lorraine)
GURU

Bichons are Best, Ella & Gabby are white diamonds!

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »

Hi Masha
Sorry the link seems to be broken so I can't view it. I wonder if others are more successful, Thanks  daisy

Andrea
G.O.D.

Noah

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »

Lorraine, I was not able to view the link either.

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

wave Lorraine & Andrea, I've edited Vida's post so you should be able to see the pic now. thumbsup

Welcome back Vida and Thanks for sharing that pic. The fluff is not Jolie fluff is it?
Are you already scissoring your own Bichons?  You have such a great future ahead of you. thumbup

Masha

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »

Here is one video where you can see how to fluff bichon and groom! eyebrows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9auEzigzg

Daisy's Mom
Daisy and her mom Rosie!
ENTHUSIAST

Daisy Mae

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

I love the video and learned allot I don't dry Daisy enough and she so curly do we have a video on cutting a Bichon?
                                       Rosie

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: