Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 22, 2019, 05:47:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 STEPS to finding the right Bichon groomer  (Read 21148 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« on: December 29, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »

I came across this great thumbup article earlier... and am gonna copy-and-paste it here for the benefit of our members swing

Source: http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/articles/findgroomer.htm (no copyright violation is intended.... prose is copied for educational purposes)

Find A Groomer Who Genuinely Likes Pets
Being skilled with clippers and scissors is nice, but nothing is more important than a caring attitude. A groomer who likes dogs and knows how to relate to them is going to put your pet at ease and make the whole grooming experience more enjoyable, or at least less stressful. Visit potential groomers, and notice how they interact with dogs. Do they seem to enjoy the company of canines? Or do they see grooming as just a job, and the pets around them as "work projects?"

Visit A Groomer's Facility
A good groomer should be very willing to let you visit her facility. Check it for cleanliness. Are there piles of hair all over the floor? Are sinks, tubs and counters neat? Are clippers and other tools stored in designated areas when not in use. How is the staff behaving around pets? Are any animals being left in open areas unsupervised? Does the groomer require that all canine customers have vaccinations? If so, which kinds of vaccinations? If the answers you get to any of these questions don't satisfy you, find another groomer.

Ask For Recommendations
Groomers should also be willing to give you the names of customers, especially ones who have pets the same size, breed or temperament as your dog. Ask these customers about their experience. Many groomers also belong to professional associations. If yours does, get the name of the association and visit its website to learn about the professional standards it has established for members.

See Where Your Dog Will Be Kept When Waiting
Depending on the breed, some dogs will have to wait several hours at the groomer for their coats to dry. Check out where a groomer will make your dog wait. Is it spacious enough for a dog of your pet's size? Is it secure? Since your dog will be wet, is there a draft? Does the area get too hot in the summer?

Make Sure The Groomer Doesn't Overbook
You should be leery of a groomer who seems too eager to "squeeze in" your pet between two other dogs. A groomer who does this may be more interested in "turning out" the maximum number of pets than doing a good job.

Check Out The Groomer's Style
There is an art, as well as a science, to pet grooming. Every groomer will bring her own distinctive style to process of clipping, brushing and prettying up your four-footed pride and joy. Some groomers will stick very closely to the "standard" breed cut, while others might be more prone to add a dramatic flair to their work. Make sure that a groomer's style is compatible with the look that you have in mind for your pet.

Find A Groomer Who Will Work With You
As a pet owner, you will want to be part of the grooming process. A groomer should be willing to work with you, answering questions and addressing your concerns. For example, if you're uncomfortable exposing your dog certain chemicals in shampoos or dips, your groomer should be willing to work with a natural alternative.

Feel free to add your personal pointers/recommendations about finding a good BICHON groomer! swing

Terri
Fake Pretend Sea Captain
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »

Great article Del. Thanks so much for finding it and sharing it with us.
I just had another tour of my groomers facility. She's very open to it.
According to these guidlines, looks to me like I found a keeper!

BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:44:17 PM »

Del.. AWESOME ARTICLE!!!!

Looks like I have a very good groomer  cheerleader cheerleader

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
lauren_fox
NOVICE

I love Bichon.c Message Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:21:16 PM »

Del does it again! Great list. I would just add a few things:

8: BE SPECIFIC! Tell the groomer what you want (AND IT HELPS IF YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS). Leave a cell phone number and tell them to CALL you if they are not sure.

9......DON'T SEND YOUR HUSBAND!!!!!!Yeah, he means well, yeah he is trying to help, but give him another important job to do, like taking out the trash or doing something with power tools. This rule also works for children's hair cuts and buying you clothes.

10. Don't let your groomer turn you in to the bad guy! Lets face it, you know your dog has some matting.....THAT IS WHY YOU BROUGHT HER THERE.....YOU DON'T WANT YOUR BALL OF FLUFF TO BE MAD AT YOU. Better she be mad at the groomer! Let all comments roll off your back and buy her a nice treat for being such a good girl

BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:27:33 PM »

Lauren.. those are GREAT additions......  thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup

TPickrell
NOVICE

Bichon-Frise.ca

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »

These are good points. 

My problem is that I don't how to tell groomer what I want. I have a list of "I don't want"  thumbdown

Mainly, I don't want Bree looking like a poodle from any angle. crybaby

I've searched photos but haven't noticed profile of  fluff so that I can print photo to take.

This AM Bree goes for bath and probably groom as she hasn't been trimmed since I got her 9 weeks ago. She was shaved and so far I've asked that they shape rather than shorten.

I've never liked how they do her face.  nono   Usually don't even notice how she is cut until we're at home in our chair. Oh My
When I pick her up we are so excited to see each other that all I can see is her wagging her whole body and trying to get to me.  yahoo

I really would like for her to have puppy face rather than clipped creases at this time. Yes, she's 3, but ........  thinking

I've searched other sites, checked grooming tips, but they are too generic. I would appreciate suggestions as to how to get what I want.
Otherwise I love this groom shop. They're would score high on all selection tips. I need help to be able to communicate what I want.
Now, just in case, I'm the one that's  wacko which is a possibility. Does your  fluff angelwings face look like a poodle from the side?

We'll be off to groomers in an hour or so.
Thanks

Twila, Bree's Mommy

JenBow
NOVICE

I love Bichon.c Message Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

Twila...I know what you mean about being too excited to notice the cut when you pick up your fluff from the groomer!  I do the same thing.  original I think the key to not looking like a poodle is to leave the head fuller and rounder.  I took a picture to my groomer the first time she did Gunner...that was the only way I could think to show her what I wanted.

Great article, Del!  The only thing I would add is to ask what kind of dryer the groomer uses.  I would never take my boys to a groomer that uses a cage dryer (that's my personal opinion), so it is important for me to know what method of drying is used.

bluebell
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »

I read on another thread that someone recently relocated and cannot find a groomer that they like. I've also heard/seen this on other threads as well. I thought I'd share some quick tips to finding a good groomer in your area.

The easiest and most obvious suggestion is to ask people in your area who have bichons where they go. So if you have just moved, go hang out at the dog parks, the local pet store, etc. and ask the bichon owners where they go (if not for a good place, where not to go if they have scary cuts ashamed ).

Another suggestion is to look online at akc.org to find your local breed clubs. They will lead you to other bichons owners and even breeders who can give you groomer referrals.

An insider groomer tip: if you visit www.groomers.net and check out the Bulletin Board, there is a thread called "General Groomers Chat". If you click there it will bring you to a list of topics. There is a topic titled "Groomer Referrals" where you can post a thread stating where you are and ask for a groomer. There are A LOT of talented groomers on this forum, including the likes of Dawn Omboy (Queen of Color grouphug ). There is also a photo album where you can view bichons grooms, and the groomers profile will tell you where they are. Many even list their shops website so you can directly contact them.

Good luck and happy hunting.  original 
bluebell
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »

When visitng grooming salons to find the right groomer, bring your dog! That way the groomer can meet your dog and you can see how they react together You can also discuss your grooming goals with the potential groomer, and you can see how willing the groomer is to work with you to acheive this.
JaBoogie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ENTHUSIAST

the dog is the god of frolic

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »

After having my first groomer experience last week I'm gonna give my two cents   Stick Out Tongue

I found this groomer by stopping a man walking a lovely bichon and asking him where his fluffer was groomed.

Then when I was ready to bite the bullet I called and talked to the owner...

* explaining how long Boog was,

* promising that he was mat free,

* being very clear about what exactly I wanted,

* being honest about the fact that I had no clue about how Boogie would be at the groomers as I had never taken him before,

* asking about whether they kennel as I felt that I needed to be honest with any groomers about how Boog would react to that (badly and with incessant barking)

* and last but not least I told her that if she felt the only option was shaving him she was to call me and I would come pick him up as shaving him WAS NOT an option.

Then when I got there that morning the first thing she did after some polite chit-chat was to get her hands into Boogies coat and make sure that there really were no mats.  I appreciated that she double checked before I left so that if there had been mats she could talk to me face to face about how to proceed.

Although I am not a huge fan of his cut (I like him shaggy) I WILL go back there whenever I want or need Boogie professionally shaped. 

The reasons are these...

* She does not kennel him

* She scissors him

* He really likes her

* She really likes him

Everything else is much less important

(woohoo.....I did me a longwinded Del post!!  YKILYR?)

Thanks to Terri for the new Siggy
BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

Janine.. Benji's groomer doesn't kennel Benji either, and I think this is a big reason why he actually LOVES going there.. Whenever I drop him off he doesn't even look twice when I leave.. he could care less haha.. He gets to play all day with other doggies, so for him it's more like a play date..  Stick Out Tongue Stick Out Tongue

EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »

(woohoo.....I did me a longwinded Del post!!  YKILYR?)
bop2  It's just (Love word'ing) me and no one else right? wink2 Stick Out Tongue

Great tips thumbup btw mi'lady embrace

That "no-kennel'ing please" criteria was on my list too when I (many moons ago) was searching for a professional groomer.  Fred 'kennels' most of his furry clients (for their own safety.... since there're several at any one time at his premises, and some are just a terror Oh My), but he NEVER 'kennels' Bianca Wub.  We reach his salon, and he attends to her immediately nodding.  Then I kill time by flipping through book his 'library' of AKC Gazette magazines, various kennel clubs YearBooks and such until Bianca is done.

I read on another thread that someone recently relocated and cannot find a groomer that they like... I thought I'd share some quick tips to finding a good groomer in your area.
Danielle, I took the liberty of merging Flex your post with this thread seeing how it's the same topic. 
Thank You for sharing your tips too.

....An insider groomer tip: if you visit www.groomers.net and check out the Bulletin Board, there is a thread called "General Groomers Chat".
On occasions I've been there, I like to check out the folder titled "BICHONS" (under Breed Styles & Grooming Techniques) and read book what groomers are complaining Rolled Eyes about their customers! Laughing  Jokes aside, I like to see pics the groomers (or customers) have posted of their freshly groomed Bichons.

bluebell
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »

....An insider groomer tip: if you visit www.groomers.net and check out the Bulletin Board, there is a thread called "General Groomers Chat".
On occasions I've been there... Jokes aside, I like to see pics the groomers (or customers) have posted of their freshly groomed Bichons.

If pictures are what you're after, go to the Photo Album and check out Before and Afters. Then choose Bichons and every post will have pictures in it. Smiley
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 12:41:18 AM »

On occasions I've been there... Jokes aside, I like to see pics the groomers (or customers) have posted of their freshly groomed Bichons.

If pictures are what you're after, go to the Photo Album and check out Before and Afters. Then choose Bichons and every post will have pictures in it. Smiley

Don't Get It I just went there... but it says I have to "register"  unsure ...  I love seeing before and afters!  thumbsup .... maybe you can link us directly?  whistling

bluebell
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 12:45:41 AM »

The page uses cookies so I'm not sure it would work. It's free to register, you just need an e-mail. There are some pictures on the bulletin board you can see without registering under Grooming Styles and Techniques under Bichons but not as many as the photo album.

Here's a link to the Bichon Photo Album,let me know if it works: http://www.groomerslounge.com/cgi-bin/album/discus.cgi
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: