Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
March 18, 2019, 05:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GROOMING 101: SCISSORING (links, and more links!!)  (Read 32877 times)
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 03:25:14 PM »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:43:33 AM by EDDEL » Logged

BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »

Thanks Del for all this info  thumbup

I must say, I like the French look just as much as the puffy look..... I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!

Bichons are beautiful in any cut, nothing can make them look bad  Stick Out Tongue Stick Out Tongue

Bichons Rule Bichons Rule Bichons Rule Bichons Rule

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 04:40:14 AM »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:16:55 AM by EDDEL » Logged

BenjisMommy
Ontario, Canada
G.O.D.

I love my baby BENJI!!R.I.P Snoopy..luv u 4ever

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 01:02:37 PM »

Del........ thanks for all those INFORMATIVE threads...... I will read them ALL  crazy I PROMISE  crazy Laughing

*********************?e?????ommy*********************
***A Delicious Creation***
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 11:02:05 AM »

DEL-ish-ified

Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »

DEL-ish-ified

JaBoogie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ENTHUSIAST

the dog is the god of frolic

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 11:49:14 AM »

With the French Look if I understand it correctly...and it's how I do it with Boog.....you comb out your fluffer before the bath and let him air dry and the curls just stay. 

As for combing in between baths....I comb Boogie out and then spritz him with a little conditioner and water or some jojoba oil and it rejuvenates the curl and gets rid of the cotton wool that you created when ya combed em out.

Hope that makes some sense Lady  flowers

Thanks to Terri for the new Siggy
Karen xo
Belfast, Ireland
GURU

CHEEKO

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »

DEL-ish-ified

Shelly
NOVICE

Harley & Tootsie

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »

thumbup WOW!  This is a great thread!   I know that I have not been on in a looooong time.  We've moved from NY to NC and if anyone of you have ever moved, you know how crazy it can be.  Well, I've been searching and searching for a groomer down here and I cannot find one that doesn't cut Tootsie & Harley like a Poodle crazy  It's very frustrating.  So my husband has informed me that HE is going to learn how to trim them like they should be.  This thread will come in handy! 

How is everyone anyway?  I'm so out of the loop on the site.  I see many new members and new babies cheerleader  I will try to keep up to date during the unpacking Crying

Thanks,
Shelly  original

karen_thompson
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »

wave Shelly, glad you're back  cheerleader  Wow, from NY to NC, huh?  That's a big move and a big change of scenery.  Oh My  If your hubby does tackle the grooming, you gotta take lots of pics to show us how it goes.  I hope Tootsie and Harley and your non-furry kids are all doing OK.  Hope to see you 'round more.  Good luck with all the unpacking  yucky
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »

Tom_B

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »

Great reading here, BUT, still feel ignorant about a 'required' list of professional grade scissors to purchase and begin the learning process.  I read the one excellent site, but multiple $80.+ scissors are not in my plans. There surely must be one or two excellent sources of blunt end trimming scissors and thinning scissors which will work for serious learners like we are.  Right now I end up with real cheapies from local pet shops and these very expensive European alternatives.  What about the $20. to $40. range ????

Help !!!  Clouseau is 17 weeks old and most local groomers won't work with him until he has his rabies shot.  That won't be for some time.   Help

Tom and Kathy
St George, UT
SuperMax (Susan)
Washington, USA
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

Buddy & My Angel Max

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »

Great reading here, BUT, still feel ignorant about a 'required' list of professional grade scissors to purchase and begin the learning process.  I read the one excellent site, but multiple $80.+ scissors are not in my plans. There surely must be one or two excellent sources of blunt end trimming scissors and thinning scissors which will work for serious learners like we are.  Right now I end up with real cheapies from local pet shops and these very expensive European alternatives.  What about the $20. to $40. range ????

Help !!!  Clouseau is 17 weeks old and most local groomers won't work with him until he has his rabies shot.  That won't be for some time.   Help

Tom and Kathy
St George, UT

Tom,

I just used regular "human" hair cutting scissors (less than $20) in the beginning for Max.  blush .. and little blunt nose scissors (for the eye area and paws) I purchased at PetCo.  flowers

I didn't get "fancy schmancy" scissors till just one year ago and did o.k.  flowers

Hope that helps, blush

Susan

Tom_B

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »

Thanks Susan ... it does help!  Our Petco has a set of 'medium' long blunt end scissors which I will pick up today. I do have a quality Andis clipper and several appropriate blades but will probably hold off until I read some more.

At some point, I still will need a 'well-accepted' short priority list of 'preferred' scissors and makers ... like absolute  MUST trimming size and model,  (then what?) ... thinning?,  finally, what around the face, ears, and private parts?   nono

Regards,
Tom B
bluebell
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »

Tom,

The tools you will need will depend on the job you are looking to do. Are you looking to tidy him up betwen professional groomings, or are you looking to do him all on your own? If it is the former than cheaper shears will be fine. If you are intending to clip him all on your own, what style of trim will you be looking for? If it is a shorter length, you can use your clippers with a comb attachment with light scissoring (again, cheaper shears will be all right). If you are looking to keep him in a full scissored trim, the cheaper shears will not have the cutting edge to do a proper job. Geib has a few lines (Gator and Cheetahs) that are inexpensive (FYI, my cheapest shears are $250) and will do a decent job. If you are planning to do him at home you will need to invest in quality tools, not neccessarily top of the line but cheap tools won't hold up and will need constant replacement.

I don't know what your question is about the face, etc. If you are looknig for instructions on how to trim, Bbird's Blog has several detailed articles on that (links above). I hope I have helped some.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: