Bichon Frise Community
September 24, 2014, 01:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staining on my friends bichons bum, belly and feet  (Read 4969 times)
bichonmumof2

Bichon.ca

« on: August 01, 2006, 12:41:51 AM »

OK my friend just got a 4 Year old Pure Bichon from an elderly couple who loved her deerly.  The bichon is beautiful on the inside and mostly on the outside except she has this like brown colouring and staining on her bum not just a little alot. her feet and her belly I did have her over here a few times to see if my whitening shampoo woould work but after two tries I did not notice a difference at all and she just doe snot look very cute with this staning on her bum for starters now my friend called the vet that the older people use and he does not know how or why she has this stainign on her body that tried different foods, she was on antibiotics and none of this worked so I said this is a question for all my Bicon friends on here maybe they can help us out so here i am hoping you all can help with this poor bichons brown bum. 

Thanks Christine
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »

bye Christine,

It's not uncommon for Bichons to have stains on their bum..... specifically one on each side of the tail, where the anal glands are (where 4 o'clock & 8 o'clock is).? The stains could be due to impacted anal glands, and in all likelihood, licking.? That's right.... the 4-year-old Bichon might very well have been licking her bum (those 2 spots) whether it's a bad habit or because her anal glands are impacted.

It's a certain chemical in their saliva that causes these reddish-copper-colored stains.?

Same for her feet.? Fur between paw pads, between the nails digits, and just above the toes, are stained primarily because the Bichon has been licking the area.? Again, it could be a bad habit (alot of dogs lick their paws out of boredom), or the root problem could be allergies.? Atopic Bichons (ie. those affected by air-borne allergens) are very prone to licking their paws.

You could use whitening shampoo like you did, but not so often that the Bichon's skin (natural oils) are compromised.? One way is to stop the bad habit of her licking (and wait for the 'old' stained fur to grow out, & be cut away).

Hope this helps flowers

PS: Congrtulations & Kudos to your friend for adopting original

Luana
New Hampshire
EXPERT

Bichon.ca

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:16:49 PM »

Good info, Del.?? thumbup? My first thought was allergies, too, as Charlies feet were a mess when we got him.? Crying? He had food allergies though.?

Is the dog also scratching a lot?? If so, it might be good to have him tested for allergies.? They just draw a bit of blood and have it tested for indoor and outdoor allergies, somewhat expensive though.? shocking2

No experience on the bum though, as Charlie has a long body and can't lick back there.?? yucky ? Scruffy used to get impacted anal glands and would lick but never enough to turn brown.? We found that giving him a bit of bran cereal with his food, helped keep that under control after the vet took care of expressing them.? ?:fear2:

Thank you Del, love it.
jazzymom

Bichon.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »

When I went to get Jaz he had the same problem. Brownish stains on certain places. They told me it was from licking, all you need to do is buy the whitening shampoo and wash twice.  (And for and extra good smell, buy White Rain conditioner with extra body. Works GREAT!)

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kristen363
NOVICE

Bichon.ca

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:39:25 AM »

Yep, what Del said!  Baxter's back feet used to be stained red. (Before we figured out that he had allergies) because he was chewing/licking them.
  Once we got him on the potato/duck food I started washing his feet when I bathed him with selsun blue. Not sure what did it, but his hair on his feet is white now.
I know I mentioned this before but even his nails were growing in stained that reddish brown color and those are now a normal color as well.

Kristen
Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »

bump
I was doing some reading/research, wondering if there was anyway of cleaning up the brown licking stains that our fluff  fluff fluff fluff sometimes get.
Luigi's last  injection caused a rash on his inner leg and of course he started licking it. Well this was over two months ago, and periodically he still licks it out of habit, but today he got groomed and his coat is short so I was thinking now would be a goodtime to treat the discoloration and let it grown in white again.  nodding
Does anyone have any new suggestions on whitening discolored licking stains?

Thank you Alison!
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:51 PM »

Chich has an environmental allergy since it began to rain in earnest for winter. It rains a lot. Mould spores grow in the grass and cause ear problems with staining and staining on the pads. She does not chew her pads. Its contact problem with grass and spores. She walks a lot with me on wet grass and also of course at home. I am wondering if its a moss problem as she has recently been on lawns with moss. Had dry summer and no problems at all. No change in diet etc has been made

Carolyn

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:01:30 AM »

You'll find lots of info on staining on the group.Hopefully with a few baths and a change to a better food the staining will lessen.It is something you have to wrok on to keep down and maybe the older couple weren't able to.It will take time to grow out.Abby gets pink staining on her foot that she likes to suck when she's tired and under her eyes and beard unless I keep it trimmed.I've been giving her live yoghurt lately and that seems to help

Alison

Freedom (Sandie)
East Providence, RI, USA
Super G.O.D.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

In my experience, the staining does not wash out; you have to wait for the hair to grow, and then clip it off.

Also, around here is it from itching due to allergies.  The pups lick and lick to address the itching.  Finding out what is causing the itch is the hard part.

Food allergies are common.  Chicken is one common allergen.  Try a food with no chicken or chicken meal in it.

Environmental allergies are harder to track down; and if it is a type of grass, even harder to avoid.

Here are some things to try:
1.  learn about high quality dog foods.  Read labels.  Refer to this site:
www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Try a food with few proteins for a start.  Rather than a food with chicken, salmon, lamb and beef, try a food with just one of those.  A good food to try:  Taste of the Wild High Prairie.  It is their bison and venison formula.

2.  Add a half teaspoon of minced garlic to the food dish daily.   This helps stop itching.  I buy the jar of minced garlic, rather than chopping it up myself.

3.  Check if you can get this book at your library:  The Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown.  Lots of great info in there.

Good luck!

Thank you, Alison
EDDEL
Bichon Besotted Mom!
Global Moderator
Super G.O.D.

living in sunny SINGAPORE!

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »

Alison & Sandie, you are replying to a post/question from way back 2006.  The original thread starter hasn't been back to post since.  Lin bump 'd the thread, asking a question question of her own. original

Carolyn, I don't know unsure if you're specifically answering the original thread starter's post or Lin's post, or just sharing your experience. Anyway, Lin is the one with the question question now. original

Does anyone have any new suggestions on whitening discolored licking stains?
Lin, you could try using the Milk of Magnesia 'paste'.  This home-made remedy for (tear) stains is all over the web.  A quick search on the web will throw up many webpages on this subject.  Typically, it's made from equal parts of boric powder (or cornstarch powder) and milk of magnesia.  For stubborn stains, some add 10% peroxide.  I know an old member had used it for her Bichon's tear stains.  Not sure if it works for stains caused by licking (ie. saliva).

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »

Laugh Hysterical Typical of me not to notice!!! Thanks Del,I'm always behind the times,but 4 years is a lot even for me.Alison

Lin
G.O.D.

Snug as a bug in a rug

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »

4 years is a lot even for me.
  Laugh and Bounce Laugh and Bounce
Happens to the best of us Alison!  Laugh and Bounce
Thanks Del for your info, it sound "holistic" enough without the peroxide, I'll give it a try.

Thank you Alison!
chichsmum
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:12:18 AM »

In my post just trying to suggest from where the staining is it could be environmental from grass or something like Wandering Jew. Could even be yeast overgrow.

Carolyn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: