Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
December 13, 2018, 10:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diet help if anyone still reads??  (Read 257 times)
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »

So, Darwin hit a fairly critical point wherein he was limping despite his knees being repaired (I won't go into all that history). The vet said he was arthritic in his spine, hips and knees. Making this worse was the fact that he was 2-3 pounds overweight, so unless I wanted him to be lame, he HAD to lose weight. This on top of the fact that he frequently had tummy trouble, and the anxiety- ugh.

We decided to make a radical change in his diet and went with NO prepared dog food- wet or dry. *I* can't stomach raw, so we decided we'd feed him boiled meat, carrots, lettuce, and small amounts of grain-free cheerios.

Wow- he lost weight, is running much better, doesn't seem to be in pain, way less tummy trouble. He even seems less anxious. Could the food have been causing all that difficulty? I always fed him premium, best of the best dogfood, grain free.

The problem is now he acts like he's starved all the time, garbage can dives at any opportunity, eats non-food things (tissues, etc). Vet says weight is good so carry on.

Thoughts? I feel like I'm torturing him.

susie l
NOVICE

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »

Chris...Glad to hear Darwin is doing better.  I always thought grain free was best but after the UCDavis report I've had second thoughts. https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/news/uc-davis-investigates-link-between-dog-diets-and-deadly-heart-disease
i remember being happy to find Orijen had peas in it---now legumes are questionable.  These experts continually change their minds and find unintended consequences in what they are adding or leaving out.
 What were you feeding Darwin?  I feed Olivia Acana but she also has severe anxiety issues and luxating patellas although the Dasuquin with MSM has really helped.

Are you adding additional vitamins and supplements for Darwin?  Might that help quell his appetite?
I'm sorry this forum has gone so silent.  I really found it so enjoyable and helpful.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »

Thank you Susie. I had given him Wellness Kore the longest, but also Dr Fosters- a few different brands but always supposedly the 'best'. I don't give any vitamins and had it in the back of my mind that maybe I should but how do you find those that won't do more harm than good? I feel really jaded.

I miss the glory days of this group when it felt like a bunch of friends getting together for coffee. It was a fun escape.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

Well done!

This is one thing I make:  cut any / all of the following*, put in pan w/ water and boil till soft, then mash.
- butternut squash
- sweet potato
- carrots
- cauliflower
- zucchini
- yellow squash
- green pepper (I often only do half of one)
- celery

* it really just depends on what I have in stock.  Sometimes no cauliflower, sometimes no sweet potato, it varies.

So this will be the base, then add whatever protein you are doing that day.  Turkey, chicken, fish, etc.  My pups go crazy for this!  I make a big pot, store it in covered containers in the fridge.  Lasts me 3 days, lol.  Oh yeah, I often have some w/ MY dinner too!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »

I make this for treats, another hit w/ my flock of fluffs:

3 - 2 - 1 Treats  Basic Recipe

3 bananas
2 cups oatmeal (I use the 1 minute quick oats)
1 cup peanut butter - I use Teddy's Natural, sometimes smooth, sometimes the crunchy.  Be SURE you are not using peanut butter w/ xylitol in it!!

Peel bananas, put in a bowl, and mash; I use a fork.  Add oatmeal and stir to mix it all up.  Add peanut butter, and mix.  Spray my brownie pan w/ PAM (just grease a pan), spread the mix in the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for half an hour.  Let stand to cool.  Cut in SMALL pieces - about 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch.   I use this as a treat, and caution as that peanut butter will put on the pounds.  My brownie pan has a cover, so I keep this in the fridge for up to a week.   And yes, I also eat this, usually as breakfast w/ my coffee.  Yum!

I have made this so often I no longer measure.  If I get small bananas, I use 5 even 6.  I just go by the 'looks of it,' as to how much oatmeal to add.  Never a problem, always tastes great.

Options
You can do all sorts of add-ins with this.  I have used:
- frozen and / or fresh blueberries
- frozen and / or fresh strawberries
- chia seeds on the top (makes a bit of a crust, put on very thinly)

I'm sure you will think of more variations.  Tip:  mix in the berries BEFORE you add the peanut butter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:50:03 AM by Freedom (Sandie) » Logged

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

Thanks Sandie! I wll definitely try these!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »

Chris also, if you add some rice, or oatmeal to his meals, he will not be starving all the time, lol.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: