Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
July 18, 2018, 05:59:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: light clicking sound when Toby walks  (Read 1067 times)
kjb131313

« on: December 06, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »

This is the strangest thing....I just noticed it two days ago...I hear a very faint clicking sound when Toby walks. The only time I can hear it is if the entire house is silent and he walks on the carpet. I'm not sure how I ever heard it in the first place. It is not every time but pretty consistent. I'm not going to jump to conclusions and worry it is his hips. I can't tell where it is coming from as it is not loud enough. I'm not taking him to the vet and get myself all worked up. I'm thinking after 2 luxating patella surgeries and 2 ACL surgeries....he can't be 100% perfect? His last ACL surgery was about a year and a half ago. He is jumping and running and it doesn't seem to bother him. SO strange.....
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »

I suggest just making a note to ask the vet next time you go in; no immediate appt needed, IMO.

Having had 3 joint replacements, I know from the support groups that many folks 'click,' 'thump,' or 'thunk.'  From the 4 surgeries, it is possible for Toby to have bone rubbing. 

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
kjb131313

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »

I suggest just making a note to ask the vet next time you go in; no immediate appt needed, IMO.

Having had 3 joint replacements, I know from the support groups that many folks 'click,' 'thump,' or 'thunk.'  From the 4 surgeries, it is possible for Toby to have bone rubbing. 

Thanks Sandie. I was thinking the same thing. He did have a mini titanium plate out in for the last ACL tear but if he was in pain, he would let me know. I’m not going to overreact and will just keep an eye on it. So strange to start out of the blue.

kjb131313

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »

And I spoke too soon. I made the appointment with his Ortho for next Tuesday at 4:30pm. I know he won’t charge me to check him out and I need the reassurance. I can totally live with the clicking. I just want to know he’s ok. Will keep you posted.
kjb131313

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »

And they just called back and got me in tomorrow at 2:30pm. I got lucky with a cancellation. Whew!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »

Oh great!  Will be looking for your update after the appt.

kjb131313

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »

I took him to the ortho yesterday. He has known Toby for about 5 years. He felt both back legs and said they were fine. He took an X-ray of the TPLO leg and said it looks great. The clicking is just something that may occur and he should be fine. It may go away and it may not? I don't care as long as he can run and jump. I'm so glad I consulted the surgeon. I love my boy so much. :-)
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »

Great news!  Yes, I'm glad you went, and got the definitive answer.  Hooray!

kjb131313

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »

The second time this week Toby has yelped so loud out of the blue. He ate all his dinner and walked outside but he is hardly moving inside with his tail down. Something is wrong. The Ortho will probably think I'm nuts as Toby is not holding up the leg. But something is not right and I knew it. Not sure what to do. 8 years later....I can honestly say I have no answers. I gave him a Rimadyl that I had in the cabinet. It stopped his panting. Maybe a Rimadyl everyday? I'm just lost. Sorry to vent
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

Oh Toby Wan! I’m so sorry this is happening. Darwin had both knees done last spring and I honestly have to be careful with activity. We don’t take him on walks because he’ll start limping.

It’s so hard when the doc says all ok and it obviously isn’t. I would maybe take him to his regular
Vet and make sure it isn’t something else?

kjb131313

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

So I just wanted to update in case anyone ever goes through this with a Bichon. The clicking sound has been present since my last post. Toby has been running and walking fine. On Monday, he was walking on the sidewalk and suddenly held up his leg. He will put pressure on it on and off and is not in pain. He will put pressure on that leg when he has to pee but when he has to get somewhere fast.....he just picks it up. I have another Ortho appt. tomorrow. It is not getting worse but not better either. I have given him pain meds the last few days but no difference. I have researched it and am going to bet....it is a torn meniscus. When they did the ACL surgery, they checked the meniscus and it was not torn. Otherwise, they would have removed that as well. Years ago, they would automatically remove it. The slogan was "when in doubt, cut it out." I think it is just irritating Toby now. The recovery doesn't seem to be too bad. Maybe a month? But the worst part will be dropping him off for yet another surgery. The days leading up to it make me want to cry. He has been through so much. And the cost....$$. The last ACL surgery was $2,500 because they used a plate. But whatever it is, I will pay it. Will keep you all posted. Surprisingly, I'm staying strong. I just am exhausted.
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »

Oh no.  You are such a good dog mom, staying on top of this.  I'll watch for info after the ortho appt tomorrow.  I think the only way to 'see' a meniscus tear is an MRI, which wouldn't happen tomorrow anyway.  Radiographs only show bone not soft tissue.

kjb131313

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

So I took Toby to Jupiter, FL for a little rehab. They did acupuncture and laser therapy the last two week. I drop him off at 9am and pick him up at 4pm. He can't wait to get home. The cost is $110.00 each session. He is no longer limping at all so I can rule out a torn meniscus. They also wanted to put him on cannabis chews but he can walk and I don't think they would be for him. He is now walking fine and is very active. I will probably do maybe two more weeks of rehab then give it a rest. It is so hard for me to drop him off. I hate it! They are so kind there but he is such a homebody. So far so good.......
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »

Good news!! Darwin had a series of the laser treatments after each knee- the vet did it, took about 15 minutes each time, the series was every 3 days for 2 weeks. I can’t really know if they helped since it was right after surgery, but he did heal nicely.

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »

It's great to hear such good news!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: