Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
October 22, 2017, 11:31:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: okay...two questions from a veteran Bichon owner  (Read 69 times)
kjb131313

« on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

I know you all probably think I only post when I need a Toby question answered but I try not to bother everyone. I love my 8 year old Toby with all my heart. He is doing
great!!!! He is still soooooo active and crazy!!!! Two questions...I scheduled him for his annual dental. It's in about two weeks. My groomer was worried about anesthesia. Toby has had two torn ACL's and two luxating patella surgeries and he is just fine. Also, he has a few warts I want removed so he looks awesome. What is your feeling about a dental? Also, I feed Stella & Chewy's dog food with boiled chicken. I noticed recently that Toby has had loose stools...I was not adding his favorite sweet potato. This morning...his poop was great...this evening after a groom....a little runny. Toby is so sensitive. And I love that. Anyone have a sensitive stomach Bichon?
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »

I don't do dentals "annually," I wait until it is needed.  Since I regularly feed raw meaty beef neck bones, their teeth stay in good shape.  A dental every 3 - 4 years is more than enough with this.

As for sensitive tummies . . . maybe as mine are rescues, they all have stomachs of steel!  LOL

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

I kept meaning to reply but life has been crazy here in Northern CA! I’m not a veteran bichon owner because Darwin is 8, but I relate to what you said.
I have to say, I’m not sure where the anesthesia concern comes from? Darwin had 2 major knee surgeries in the last year, a month apart, and no problems. They did labs before to make sure, but he did fine. They did a dental and a bunch of lump and bump removals at the same time, so he must have been under for awhile. I think it’s much better for their health to take care of dental issues than to avoid it because of the slight risk of anesthesia.
Speaking of tummy troubles, we’re there too. Darwin eats wellness small dog weight management kibble. It’s grain free, and has probiotics. I’ve really seen a difference with it. I usually put some plain cooked meat (chicken, hamburger) on top to make it more enticing. Hope that helps!

kjb131313

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

I kept meaning to reply but life has been crazy here in Northern CA! I’m not a veteran bichon owner because Darwin is 8, but I relate to what you said.
I have to say, I’m not sure where the anesthesia concern comes from? Darwin had 2 major knee surgeries in the last year, a month apart, and no problems. They did labs before to make sure, but he did fine. They did a dental and a bunch of lump and bump removals at the same time, so he must have been under for awhile. I think it’s much better for their health to take care of dental issues than to avoid it because of the slight risk of anesthesia.
Speaking of tummy troubles, we’re there too. Darwin eats wellness small dog weight management kibble. It’s grain free, and has probiotics. I’ve really seen a difference with it. I usually put some plain cooked meat (chicken, hamburger) on top to make it more enticing. Hope that helps!

Thank you for your feedback. Toby is only 8 years old too but after all his surgeries etc., I consider myself a veteran Bichon owner. He did so well with his yearly dental. It is now 3 years in a row. Only thing I did differently was wart removal. He had a few and one on his leg so I opted for that. Stitches will be removed in 10 days. He is so tired and snuggly tonight. So glad it went well!
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:42:56 AM »

I think I misunderstood- I thought you were asking for advice from people who had owned bichons a long time, ie like Sandie, Pam, etc. Sorry! Smiley

I’m so glad to hear it’s over and he did well! Go Toby Wan!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: