Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
October 21, 2017, 01:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took off Royal Canin SO and switched to Merrick Grain Free? A mistake?  (Read 214 times)
SammyMama

« on: August 10, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

Greetings everyone..

Sammy was prescribed Royal Canin SO Urinary after his bladder stone surgery in June 2015. We understood the need for the prescription, however, Sammy has so much difficulty holding on and would not use his pee pad while we are away. Also noted very low energy in him. (Sammy is approaching 12 years old in two weeks)

So, after much consideration and research, we recently (about 3 weeks ago) switched him to Merrick. We used their senior diet dry food in the a.m., and a variety of flavor of wet food in the p.m. We did not alter the amount and could see a significant weight gain in Sammy.

Anyone has similar experience with Merrick? Should we go back to RC SO Urinary, or if anyone has other suggestions?

Thank you all!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »

Hi and good to see you back here!

Your pic is huge; do you have a photo resizer option?  Then we can see and enjoy the photo.

What you describe is normal.  The Royal Canin SO has rice and corn as the first 2 ingredients.  When you switch to grain free, you need to also reduce the amount you feed.  I could not find the calorie content for SO online; it must be there, I just can't find it!  It will be listed on the bag.  You should compare that to the Merrick calorie needs, and because it is grain free you will see a big difference.

Also, you did not specify what you are now using for wet food.  Again, adding that in, and if that is also grain free, will make a difference as well.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

I agree with everything Sandie said (as usual). Darwin is now w on Fosters and Smith grain free healthy weight formula because he can't still exercise much due to 2 recent knee surgeries. I would also try cutting the amount. Wellness makes a wet food called 'petite dinners' that we give him as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: