Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 01:56:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
fluffwelcome      fluffwelcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toby sneezing/weezing for the past two days  (Read 2872 times)
kjb131313

« on: June 01, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »

Hi Everyone,

The strangest thing happened on Tuesday. I picked Toby up at the groomers and he was in his crate doing the reverse sneeze. It slowed down a lot but now at night I notice it more. It sounds like Toby is very congested. I get Toby groomed every 2 weeks and he has had the same groomer for 7 years. He said he thought Toby got water up his nose. But that should have cleared up by now? He is still walking, sleeping, eating, and drinking....no problem but every once in awhile he goes into a reverse sneeze. I always tend to overreact and think maybe it's his trachea? But it isn't a honking sound. He just sounds congested. I know it is 100% related to the grooming but not sure if I should take him to the vet just yet?
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »

Maybe a quarter Benadryl tablet will help sort this out.  Call your vet office for the proper dose based on his weight, but 1/4 is what I used with one of my bichons.

I am amazed you have Toby in to the groomer's every 2 weeks!  Mine get groomed every 9 weeks!  I groom them myself, but even years ago when I took them in, that was how often we went.

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »

I would call the vet since it is still going on. I can't imagine a little water in the nose causing him to cough for 3 days. I'd be concerned that the grooming loop was too tight or not on correctly, or something like that.

Does he normally reverse sneeze at all?

kjb131313

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »

Yes. I've always had him groomed every two week since he was a pup. He feels comfortable with this groomer. Toby will reverse sneeze may once every two weeks. He is not doing it a lot but once a day is still a lot. We are now on day 2 and he did it once today and his nose sounds a little congested. I'm going to wait a day or two as I always overreact. Will keep you all posted.
southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »

You probably know all this, but here's an information sheet on reverse sneezing from the Bichon Club of America. http://www.bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/ReverseSneezing.htm
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »

Yes. I've always had him groomed every two week since he was a pup. He feels comfortable with this groomer.

I know, but WHY?!  This is going to dry out his skin.  Is he getting a whitening shampoo every time?  That is also not good.

kjb131313

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »

As far as I know, he does not use a whitening shampoo every time. He has no skin issues whatsoever. If I thought it was harming him, I would get him groomed less. As far as the sneezing,  I think somehow his trachea was damaged. I haven't taken him to the vet yet as he was only reverse sneezing a few times but something is wrong. I researched it. I don't think it's a collapsed trachea but something happened. The groomer doesn't know of anything he did differently. Toby will reverse sneeze a little when he finishes eating and in the middle of the night. I don't know how much they could do for him if I even took him to the vet. He is not doing it a lot but something is wrong.
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »

I'm sorry to hear he is still having trouble. Can you call your vet and just ask if the doctor thinks you should bring him in? My vet will tell me if it's something I can take a "wait and see" approach, and what I should watch for.

Regarding the bathing frequency, Bella normally gets groomed every 4-5 weeks and I bathe her in between visits. I use a mild shampoo at home. With her recent issues, I've been bathing her every 2-3 days for over a month and her skin still isn't dry! I think the products probably make a huge difference in whether the shampooing dries them out.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 10:17:45 AM »

I think the products probably make a huge difference in whether the shampooing dries them out.

True!  Which is why I asked.

About the reverse sneezing. I don't think it "has" to be trachea, it can also be anywhere in the sinus passages.   Do you think it could be allergies?  Or could he have a piece of grass up his nose?  (It DOES happen!) 

Does it still seem to be improving?  I mean, happening less and less often?

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

Have you explored whether the groomer used any new products? Especially any kind of powder? Some groomers use baby powder and it can really cause repiratory irritation if breathed in.

kjb131313

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »

Yes. Toby is doing better. It has put my mind at ease that he is only doing the reverse sneeze now. He does it when he is getting up in the morning and when I take him for a walk in a new area of grass. The problem is....Toby only did a reverse sneeze maybe once every few months. Now, he is doing it twice a day. It puts my mind at east though that it is just the reverse sneeze and no "honking" sounds like a collapsed trachea. It definitely definitely happened at the groomers. I went to pick him up and he was in the crate sneezing. Thinking now it is some irritation from grooming. Who knows what happened at groomer? I have used the same groomer for 7 years and totally trust him. There is some type of irritation going on but I'm slowly beginning to think it may not be the trachea which is such a relief. Toby is eating and playing just reverse sneezing about twice a day now. I will definitely be speaking with the groomer. Keeping an eye on Toby to see if he continues to get better but I'm still not a fan of daily reverse sneezing.
kjb131313

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »

So we are 2 days in with no coughing or reverse sneezing. It took about a week for him to be better. It 100% had to do with grooming. It's too coincidental that I pick him up and he reverse sneezes. I'm glad he's doing better but I really don't know what happened. That was scary.
Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »

I'm glad to hear he's better now

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:46 AM »

That's good that it stopped on its own!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print