Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
April 25, 2017, 09:20:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am just beside myself today  (Read 146 times)
kjb131313

« on: April 07, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »

Hi everyone. As you all know....Toby has had 2 luxating patella and 2 torn ACL surgeries over the past 8 years. Today he starting carrying his right leg. He walked fine but when he would get up, he would carry his leg for a little while. My biggest fear now is that it may be hip dyplasia? I can't and will not go through anymore surgeries and I don't want him to live like that either if it is hip dyplasia. Maybe it is a sprain but I am so very worried. I don't want to sound dramatic but I love him so much and am not sure why else he would be limping.
kjb131313

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »

I made his vet appointment for 3:40pm today. I am so worried.
BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »

Hi, I'm sorry about your poor little guy. I hope it is just a sprain as well! I don't know the background, but could it be a touch of arthritis? That cause stiffness and pain after inactivity, and then the joints loosen up after some movement. Good luck!

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »

Here is a web page about the disease. It seems as though it's somewhat unlikely this is hip dysplasia, which is more common in larger dogs and which has symptoms different from what you report. Good Luck!

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/2162-canine-hip-dysplasia-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment-and-prevention
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »

I made his vet appointment for 3:40pm today. I am so worried.

Can we have an update since the vet visit?

Both my RB Marlin and now my Willy have hip dysplasia.  I'm not sure yet re Frankie, he is too full of puppy energy still, but he does have an odd gait.

kjb131313

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. He had a grooming appt. with his groomer of 7 years yesterday morning. His groomer works out of his home and is amazing. It is very quiet and calm there. I picked Toby up and the groomer said he appeared just fine and let his bathe him and scissor his legs without a problem. I let him walk down the sidewalk to the vet's office and there was no limping st all. The vet checked him and said that once a dog has a surgery or 4 surgeries in Toby's case, he would never be 100%. I went in to say that he never kilos so this was so out of character. I asked about hip dyplasia. She said the Ortho that did the surgeries is amazing and would probably have xrayed the hips before the surgeries just to cover the board. She said just like humans, dogs may have a little pain once in awhile. She asked what meds I had for Toby and I told her I don't give any meds. She gave me a bottle of Rimadyl to use if it happened again. I feel like such a freak posting about that but yesterday morning he was holding it up and not really running around. Today, he is just fine. I didn't even have to give him one pain pill. I'm glad I got it checked out. I never wait on thinks like that. I was so scared. Toby's birthday is in one week and he is getting so spoiled!!! The vet's final decision was that, although it could be the onset of arthritis,she seemed to think it was just a little pain from all the surgeries.
BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »

That sounds like the best possible news! It is natural to worry when they are having any kind of trouble. I'm glad it wasn't anything major. 😀

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »

It's called PTSD, and I totally get it. Not because of Darwin, but because of my daughter, but it's not any different. The only thing that helps is time without anything else going wrong.

Darwin's vet has told me arthritis is already present and likely to get worse. They have him on metacam already, but will probably switch in time. Hugs to you!   

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »

Oh, I'm so happy that the news is better than what you feared you would hear! My best wishes for you and Toby!
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

Great news! 

Don't worry about posting here, we 'get it.'  All they have to do is look odd, and we start to worry.  DO something odd, and we are in a tizzy.  Yup, that is how it goes.  Glad this is sorting itself out!

Arthritis is common as these pups age.  Remember, once they learn to walk, it is all about running and jumping!  They are either sleeping or moving big time!  They don't seem to know any 'in between' state, until they reach about age 8 years.  So that is lots of impact activity for the knees and hips.

A good supplement will include glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM.  Be sure to get one with MSM!  I use Dasuquin w/ MSM, I order it from Amazon.  At this point, I have all 5 on it.  Four are age 8 or older, and one (Frankie) has knee issues with one surgery already.  I price track using camelcamelcamel. 

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:27:26 PM »

I'm so glad he has settled down.Abby has had  a few episodes of limping and I freaked too.Luckily they settled.She will limp a little after a long walk and sometimes needs a dose of metacam.

I think if she could choose she would choose the joy of the long walk form some temporary stiffness.We just don't do it too often.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: