Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
April 25, 2017, 09:20:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sudden Allergic Reactivity at Age 7  (Read 407 times)
BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »

Thank you, Sandie! I really appreciate your help and support! Hugs!

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »

The results from Bella's allergy panels came back and she is allergic to... a lot... almost every single grass and tree, dust, etc., green beans, wheat, peanuts, rice, carrots, barley, soy, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes. I am meeting the doctor tomorrow to get the full list and to discuss options for her care. I also switched to The Honest Kitchen Turkey and Parsnip food, which doesn't contain any of her known allergens. I also ordered some paw wipes to keep by the door, so I can try to remove some of the pollen when she comes in from a walk.

I feel so bad that she had just eaten almost an entire carrot (during her Easter photo shoot) right before I got the call with her list of allergies.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

Also, I changed the title of the post since clearly the new Acana formulation was not itself to blame for Bella's troubles.

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »

Wonderful photo!

My goodness, that seems to be a very broad range of allergens!  Should be interesting to deal with.  I'm sorry you and she have to figure this out.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »

Thank you. The vet was shocked by the results. I think they thought I was being dramatic about how uncomfortable she was. I know my baby!

If I didn't remember her adoption day so clearly, I'd swear she was my biological daughter, since I am allergic to the same environmental allergens!  Laughing

I have all this guilt about moving her from our paved city life to this grassy suburban neighborhood, and having two kids that drop crackers etc. The human kids are going on snack lockdown and will have to be stationary when eating from now on. (Not really a bad habit anyway!!)

Ugh.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »

That's an adorable picture!! Darwin starting having allergies over the summer too- they figured it was redwood fronds and didn't test him. He did get much better in the winter, so I'm thinking that's right. We didn't change anything else. Good luck with Bella- at least now you know what to avoid (even if it's really, really hard to avoid all that).

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »

Thanks, Chris! Bella loves to model for me. 💕

It is good to have some answers, even though it will be hard to avoid many of her triggers. I am thinking of making an outdoor stone cover area by the house for her to use as a potty. Maybe some boots for the yard. She has always preferred to walk on sidewalks or pavement rather than on the grass. As you said, the winter should bring some respite.

Does Darwin take any medication?

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »

The medication is a long story. He had one cortisone shot, because he was having fairly severe symptoms (wheezing and skin secondary bacterial infection). After that, they gave him some sort of immunization against allergies. He also had a medicated shampoo. The knee issue followed and he was started on daily anti inflammatories. Honestly, I saw the biggest difference after the steroid shot, but I know that's not something to be taken lightly, and we won't be repeating it unless things are quite grim again. They told me I could use benadryl as needed, but I really haven't. The redwood fronds are just as common as dust here, but we had so much wind and rain this winter that it really did a good job clearing them away for the time being. We'll see.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »

Poor sweet little Darwin, he has been through so much. Steroids made a huge difference for Bella, too, but like you, I am very cautious of them.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »

We saw the vet today and reviewed the allergy test results. For now, Bella will continue with apoquel once a day and we ordered the custom serum for her to start immunotherapy shots. They won't be effective for about a year if ever, but we are giving it a shot (pun intended).

Alison
Super G.O.D.

Abby ( South Wales )

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »

Lovely pic ,she is so cute .At least you now know what to avoid .I know its impossible to avoid all those things, but at least you know what ones you can.I hope things get better soon. Alison

BellasMommy (Kelly)
ENTHUSIAST

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »

Thank you, Alison! Bella will get the first immunotherapy shot tomorrow. I hope they help her eventually!

We are donating lots and lots of dog food and treats that she can't eat anymore. At least Bella will experience the joy of giving!!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: