Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
June 19, 2019, 02:28:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE on Sudden Allergic Reactivity at Age 7: Page 2, She has MANGE :(  (Read 10114 times)
Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »

So good that you are seeing improvements!  Keep it up, I know it is a strenous routine with the constant baths, but this is only for a short time.

Sounds like you found a new vet practice as well, good job!

Bichons Frise': Tasha, Willy, Riley, Belle, Frankie
Cats: Crystal, Ebony, Bobby, Tommy, Tuppence, Mandy, Emma
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »

I'm so sorry for all you've been through, Kelly. I agree that it's a good idea to switch vets because you will always second guess anything the other one says. Make sure they give you her records so that you don't have to repeat any tests. I can't imagine having to deal with this when my kids were that young- a true nightmare. (((Hugs)))

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »

My sister, a cat fancier, says that cats have mites, but that they get out of hand only if the cat is being stressed by something else such as illness. She wondered whether dogs might be the same way, even though dog mites are different from cat mites.  That might explain why Bella has such a severe outbreak now while she is under the stress of mange.
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »

So good that you are seeing improvements!  Keep it up, I know it is a strenous routine with the constant baths, but this is only for a short time.

Sounds like you found a new vet practice as well, good job!

The bathing isn't too bad (other than the sulfur product!) since she's practically naked now and has to air dry! I will be happy to spend less time with my arms in the tub, though!!

Yes, I am happy about the new vet and I am feeling a lot better about everything now that we have an action plan in the works and a good outlook for the future.

We just got home from a full walk around the whole neighborhood, which Bella has not wanted to do recently. She seemed like herself for much of the day today. Smiley Smiley Smiley

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

I'm so sorry for all you've been through, Kelly. I agree that it's a good idea to switch vets because you will always second guess anything the other one says. Make sure they give you her records so that you don't have to repeat any tests. I can't imagine having to deal with this when my kids were that young- a true nightmare. (((Hugs)))
That's exactly it -I would absolutely be second guessing everything her doctors said and it would lead me down endless rabbit holes of googling! My sanity doesn't need that! Haha!

This has been rough with the kids, especially with all the extra hazmat cleaning time I've been spending! Lucy, who is almost 18 months, keeps telling me Bella is sad. Sad She calls her Baba. Today I got to tell her Baba is happy!

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »

My sister, a cat fancier, says that cats have mites, but that they get out of hand only if the cat is being stressed by something else such as illness. She wondered whether dogs might be the same way, even though dog mites are different from cat mites.  That might explain why Bella has such a severe outbreak now while she is under the stress of mange.

Mange is infestation with skin mites, they mean the same thing. Infestations can be caused by multiple kinds of mite. Bella has sarcoptic scabies/mange which, one way or another, was initiated basically by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is another kind of mite called demodectic which can be naturally present but becomes problematic in times of stress. At least with dogs. There is a third kind of mange that affects cats but I haven't read about that one.

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »

Thanks, Kelly! I'm glad that Lucy and Bella get on so well! I understand that sometimes dogs, even bichons, are jealous of newborns for taking away attention from them. Hope that Bella continues to recover! What a hard experience this has been for you and her!
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 05:42:32 AM »

Bella was never jealous of my kids as newborns, she thought they were our babies and she was the other mommy! She would paw at me to wake me up when the baby would stir but hadn't cried yet. She watched over them all the time and was so gentle. She's less fond of the toddler stage with all the grabby hands and wobbly balance!

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »

I wanted to add to this thread something I've been doing with Bella that seems to make her feel more comfortable: I fill the tub with warm water that just touches the bottom of her tummy while standing and add about a cup of Epsom salts. The salts really relax her, I guess because of the magnesium or other minerals, and supposedly they help to remove toxins (like dead scabies??) from the skin.

I try to make it like a spa experience (which it certainly is, compared to the sulfur product) and slowly pour the water over her with a cup. After about a minute or two of this, this amazing relaxation washes over her and she gets all blinky and sleepy and content. Dare I say, she actually ENJOYS this bathing experience. After she has soaked for a few minutes, I drain the water and very gently shampoo her with these bath gloves (pic) and then rinse. Then I cuddle her in a towel, coat her trouble spots with coconut oil, and let her dry by a warm air fan. For hours afterwards, she is relaxed and comfortable and her skin looks significantly less irritated. I would bet an epsom salt soak would help out fluffs with arthritis or other troubles also. Might be something worth looking into! Just don't let them drink the salt water since it is a natural laxative.

Tomorrow we will see the new (regular) vet. I'm going to ask him what he thinks about this and how often I could do it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:08:30 PM by BellasMommy (Kelly) » Logged

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

Sounds lovely!  I would enjoy that spa experience, myself!  LOL

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

Sounds lovely!  I would enjoy that spa experience, myself!  LOL

Seriously! I'm thinking of trying it myself! (I won't be having a sardine snack afterwards, though!)

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »

Too funny! (Re the sardines). I think you deserve a good spa day after all you've been through!

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Too funny! (Re the sardines). I think you deserve a good spa day after all you've been through!
Haha! I just might have to fit that in.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »

I am so happy to report that Bella is doing worlds better!! Other than her new "hairstyle" (short and beige!) she is totally back to her normal self! It was definitely the scabies that caused the dramatic flare up that started in February. We have a follow up appointment with the dermatologist (who figured out the problem) on Tuesday and I just might kiss the man!! (Sorry, Hubby! LOL!)

And, since Bella does have a lot of allergies also (per the lab tests), I am going ahead with the immunotherapy injections. (The custom serum was already purchased.)  I have done the injections twice now myself, once under the supervision of the vet, and once at home for the first time yesterday. Bella was such a good girl and it was easier than I thought it would be. Things are really looking up for her, and I am so relieved that my little buddy is back!

Freedom (Sandie)
Methuen, MA, USA
Super G.O.D.

Methuen, MA, USA

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »

I feel a celebratory dance coming on! 

yahoo yahoo hyper hyper cheerleader cheerleader Clap Clap cheerleader cheerleader hyper hyper yahoo yahoo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: