Bichon.ca - Bichon Frise Community
January 22, 2019, 05:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
flufflove   Touch a Bichon, and you have touched a bit of Heaven
Hold a Bichon, and you have held the world
Love a Bichon, and you will love life forever
   flufflove

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darwin update- bad news  (Read 10338 times)
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:05 AM »

Thank you. He's actually holding up the other (non-surgical) leg. The vet said there was a good chance it would rupture as well, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. Anyway, he has an appointment with the vet/ surgeon next Wednesday. He's difficult to get an appointment with. He's still not holding it up as severely as he did the other before surgery, and will walk slowly on it, but it's definitely not a good situation and not getting any better. I'll update when I know more.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

City Girl Living in the Suburbs

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »

Thank you. He's actually holding up the other (non-surgical) leg. The vet said there was a good chance it would rupture as well, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. Anyway, he has an appointment with the vet/ surgeon next Wednesday. He's difficult to get an appointment with. He's still not holding it up as severely as he did the other before surgery, and will walk slowly on it, but it's definitely not a good situation and not getting any better. I'll update when I know more.

Sad to hear he hasn't improved any. While you wait for your appointment, you could try soaking him in an abdomen-deep Epsom Salt bath. It really soothed and relaxed Bella. Plus being in water takes some pressure off the legs.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »

Thanks, Kelly. We were actually wishing that we had a swimming pool so he could exercise a bit since he can't go for walks. I will try the bath though.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »

Thanks, Kelly. We were actually wishing that we had a swimming pool so he could exercise a bit since he can't go for walks. I will try the bath though.
Would he swim? Maybe you could make a deep bath in your tub and let him paddle in place. Or even one of those cheap plastic kiddie pools.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

What about one of these?

Intex Swim Center Clearview Aquarium Inflatable Pool, 62.5" X 62.5" X 19.5", for Ages 3+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VSAF2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_puhkzb0AADQGR

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »

That's cute. I was looking at kiddie pools in Target yesterday but they were so shallow he could stand up in them. This one looks deeper though- I'll have to get my tape measure out and size Darwin up!

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »

That's cute. I was looking at kiddie pools in Target yesterday but they were so shallow he could stand up in them. This one looks deeper though- I'll have to get my tape measure out and size Darwin up!
Even if he could touch the bottom, he could walk around in the water for low pressure exercise as long as he was mostly submerged.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »

Vet appointment today shows left knee torn surgery Tuesday.

pam
ENTHUSIAST

bichons rule

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »

Honestly Chris!  Just catching up as we have been away.  I am so sorry to hear this - poor Darwin and poor you.  He doesn't have a lot of luck the little one.  You are both in our thoughts and prayers.  Hope all goes well and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery after Tuesday.
Pam

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

Chris, I was hoping it was just a strain caused by the need to make up for the leg already operated on. Too bad it's another rupture! The vet must think that the leg already operated on is strong enough to support Darwin as he recovers from the new surgery --  hope he's right!!
darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »

Thabks Pam and Craig. The vet is worried that if he has to rely on the first leg too much he'll worsen that, so wants to fix the left and just not have him walk much at all until it's better. It's rotten.

BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »

Thabks Pam and Craig. The vet is worried that if he has to rely on the first leg too much he'll worsen that, so wants to fix the left and just not have him walk much at all until it's better. It's rotten.
Poor baby! Poor you, too. I can't even imagine having to go through all that, and twice in a row! I hope he will really take it easy so both legs can heal at the same time and he can finally start to move on from all this!

southjerseycraig
NOVICE

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly are you supposed to minimize Darwin's walking? I can imagine that you won't take him on walks or let him outside very much, but how else do you do it? And how cooperative will Darwin be with not being able to work off energy? (Darwin has always struck me as a very active fluff, even by bichon standards.) Or does the vet think that the recovery process will be sufficiently uncomfortable that Darwin simply won't want to walk? I feel sorry both for you and for Darwin!
BellasMommy (Kelly)
EXPERT

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »

A little down the road after his surgery, when he's up for it, maybe you could try to give him some new mental exercise to keep him busy. Using their brains in a new or challenging way can help tucker out a pup without a lot of physical exercise.

There are lots of treat hiding puzzles on Amazon and I've seen them in a few pet stores. You could create your own creative challenges like hiding a treat in a big box full of gift tissue, you could do scent work, hide a treat under one of three cups and switch them around, etc. I guess the hard part would be balancing the extra treats with the diminished physical exercise. Maybe you could have him "work" for his dinner with a puzzle if he's an enthusiastic eater. Just some ideas for things he could do to pass the recovery time.

darwinsmom (Chris)
GURU

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »

We use a playpen, crates, etc to keep him from walking at the beginnng. When he is cleared to do a bit more, we let him be in certain rooms with gates/ door closed. No stairs. We still have a baby gate at the tol of the stairs, so can have him be up there with less worry. The anti-inflammatories and pain meds help, too. With the last surgery, he just held it up and relied on the other but that's what we need to avoid this time. Should be fun.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: